Happy 5th Birthday to POP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by zoomerang II:
[ It may have been the ugly duckling as far as US critics thought, but for me it is one swan of a U2 album.[/B]

The strange thing is, I remember the critics here praising the album when it first came out here in the US. Only, when the tour started off & the album didn't sell as expected, it started getting a bad rap. As someone said earlier, it's like fine wine, it gets better with age. I also think it would be cool if the made the price mid-line, $11.99 or something, like some of the older U2 albums. People may be more inclined to buy it.

I listened to POP earlier tonite and I was thinking that if some new band we'd never heard of had released this album we would be talking like it was the greatest thing since the roller-coaster. I know the album has it's flaws, and I think they released the wrong songs as singles. But to me it is still one of U2's major works, and I think it's unfortunate that so many consider POP to be one of U2's weaker albums.

------------------
Children by the millions sing for Alex Chilton

Popopopopopopopopopopop!!!

My favourites:
1. Please (album as well as live version)
2. If God Will Send His Angels
3. Do You Feel Loved
... and the rest of the album!!!
icon35.gif

1. Mofo
2. Gone
3. ummm ugh this is too hard, i love just about everything on it!!

PoP is a great album, one that has great repeat play value imo

Originally posted by zoomerangII
It may have been the ugly duckling as far as US critics thought, but for me it is one swan of a U2 album.

I second that, pretty much summarizes what I feel.

My faves are (at least for now, you know changing is a constant
wink.gif
)

Please
Last Night On Earth
Gone

Who else is surprised (and pleased) that this thread hasn't degenerated into yet another argument over the merits of Pop?

Shit.. knock on wood!

Anyway, it is fun to celebrate one of U2's best, possibly their most interesting album... thanks to the pop-haters for not crashing our party
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 03-06-2002).]

I am totally completely whole-heartedly obsessed with Pop. Unfortunately, I intensely disliked it at first. I gave it 2 listens and gave up. Then for days I had Wake Up Dead Man stuck in my head so I listened to that song only, then I got tired of that and eventually listened to the whole album. It only took me a month or so to love it.
smile.gif
I am absolutely crazy about it now -- I am in love with every track, YES including Miami!

Anyway, here is 3 of my current favourites, no particular order:

Do You Feel Loved
The Playboy Mansion (who wishes they'd play this live?)
Tie between Gone and Last Night On Earth

I'm listening to it right now, in fact. Such a magnificent album.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

because of this thread, I put POP back in my player and have had it on almost non-stop for 2 days. It really is that good. And it just gets better.

p.s. Skeek, I hear ya. *knocks on wood*

hey, I was almost afraid to peek in here. Now I have, and I'm LOVIN' THIS THREAD! I have days when I know Pop is their best album -- and then I decide it's too dark to truly represent them. And then I put on MOFO as loud as I can stand it and then peel myself off the wall and know they still haven't recorded a single thing better than that force of nature...

Did I mention I love Pop?
wink.gif
The other two I'd have to single out (apart from live performances) are IYWTVD -- wow, I never heard that Bono before! (Found him again in Your Blue Room, though. ooooweeeee...) -- and WUDM. BTW, I haven't bothered to listen for a key change, but on the Boston DVD, Bono's delivery is high and plaintive and sweet -- quite a contrast with the studio version, and I'm moved by it.

Hon. mention to Discotheque. I really dig a rock'n'roll Big Beat, and that song's got it. And dang, it peeves me when people think it's a bubble-gum song! The lyrics are awesome -- so ironic they're sneering, but we already know that satire doesn't always translate well.

"Radio-friendly" story: I heard an interview with the music director at our local hard rock station. He actually said that when Discotheque came out as the first single from the new U2 album, of course they played it...but as soon as they had a second single, they pulled Discotheque because their audience was complaining. Unfuckinbelievable. Didn't Bono say that, as with politicians, we get the pop music we deserve?? Yikes.
The rest of the album is loaded with rich melody, not least on Playboy Mansion, and some of Bono's very best writing. What a trip that record is, what a heavy, rewarding trip.

Thanks for the Pop-birthday Party, guys!

Deb D

------------------
I wanna walk with you on an unapproved road

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

POP is very underrated! It's one of the best albums they ever did
My personal favourites: Gone, Staring at the sun, Last night on earth, Please, Wake up dead man
Gone, SATS, LNOE are always included in my 'best of'-compilation albums... :)

Peter

----
zoolevate your mind!

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Who else is surprised (and pleased) that this thread hasn't degenerated into yet another argument over the merits of Pop?
well, at least some people already mentioned how Pop reduces ATYCLB to a piece of shit

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
Originally posted by SkeeK:
well, at least some people already mentioned how Pop reduces ATYCLB to a piece of shit

ATYCLB was definitely a record U2 had to make in order to remind old fans why they loved the band in the 1st place, and therefore isn't quite as daring an album as POP, but I love it just as much...

I can see how my former post could be misleading
personally I think ATYCLB is a better album than POP

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Last night I made a copy of Pop onto tape for my car, and I rearanged the order of the songs, and took out Playboy Mansion and Velvet Dress, because those songs do nothing for me. I separated the dance songs in the beginning and scattered them among that album. Before, I thought Pop was kind of so/so, but now I love it. I actually couldn't concentrate in my class today because I had just listened up to Mofo on the way to school and couldn't get the album and especially that song out of my mind. Here's the re-arranged order I made:

Last Night On Earth
If God Will Send His Angels
Do You Feel Loved
Staring At The Sun
Discotheque
Gone
Miami
Mofo
Please
Wake Up Dead Man

I hardly listened to this album in the past. I feel like I discovered a new album.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 03-07-2002).]

Originally posted by ericb:
Last night I made a copy of Pop onto tape for my car, and I rearanged the order of the songs, and took out Playboy Mansion and Velvet Dress, because those songs do nothing for me. I separated the dance songs in the beginning and scattered them among that album. Before, I thought Pop was kind of so/so, but now I love it. I actually couldn't concentrate in my class today because I had just listened to the tape on the way to school and couldn't get the album out of my mind.

Stay in school, Don't do POP!

I actually love the flow of POP. I read somewhere about someone's take on the album, that they thought POP referred to the end of the millenium, or end of the world. If you look at the album title and some of the songs, you could think of it like that. There does seem to be kind of a theme running through it....IGWSHA, LNOE, Gone, Please, WUDM. It is a bit dark in places, but spiritual as well...praying to God to get us through to the 21st century. I know it sounds a bit sci-fi, but did any one else ever think of that?

Staring at the Sun/Playboy Mansion/Discotheque

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Back
Top Bottom