Hanover Quay.....still alive for the album title?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr. Brau, I'm going to have to lean with you on this one.

The band looks a little at sales as an indicator of how much people are interested in them. I know the real fans will always buy the new stuff, but I really think the band would get bored if they realized that their music is becoming irrelevant.

That said, they seem excited about this one, but if it does bomb by U2 standards, they'll probably give it just one more shot, and if they're still slipping I think they'll just sort of retire (maybe just a movie sound track once in a while). They want to leave the scene without slipping too far.

MrBrau1 said:
Every record since JT has sold less, and less. With The blip being ATYCLB. They want to sell lots of records. It's very important to them. If this record bombs like Pop in the US, I think they'll break up.

JT came out in a time when rock music was far less fractured - and probably appealed to a wider demographic. ATYCLB was more poppy - so it had a bigger breakthru versus Zooropa and POP and their more specific stylings.

While I do agree that this band will not release another 3-4 albums because they are aging, I will not agree that a band that has worked this hard and loves what they do and their fans so much would break up if "the newie" flopped in the US. That would be a very Behind the Music/diva-ish thing to do. They will bow out gracefully when there are no more hills to climb and no more tunes to write that are worth hearing.

No way the band breaks up if the album bombs in the US.......everyone here knows that this U2 won't put out a crap record.

MrBrau1 said:

My number are right, worldwide.

AB 17 Million
Zooropa 7 Million
Pop 6 Million
ATYCLB 11

You might want to check those in the Peeling off those dollar bills forum.
If I remember correct, Zooropa is at about 9 millions worldwide, POP is at 7-8 million and ATYCLB is probably closer to 12 millions by now. I hope that with the 25 anniversary there will be certifications so we will know for sure.

It's true US market is most important to U2 - as proved by their touring history. While it's true sales were going down since JT, I think ATYCLB/Elevation's success IMO gave them the push for another decade. Also the first Best of sold really well, if I'm not mistaken.

U2 proved their relevance with the latest offering and tour, particularly post 9/11 role of their music. That said, in today's music industry you're only as good as your last work - which in a way is more fair than comparing the newest work with the greatest success of the career.

Now, for the part where I agree with you: the guys have balanced sales sucess with artistic creativty perfectly, but they do need a good album. Not only because they're following up a sucess, but also because they're not getting any younger and if they flop again a la POP, it's virtually over IMO. The longer they keep going, the bigger the odds of them becoming a band like Stones, only good live (let's not forget Bono's voice will be an issue too) but not really relevant albumwise. For those reasons, I wish they'd speed up the music output.

My prediction is: Hanover Quay in 2004, another album by 2006/2007 (when Edge was asked if this album is the last one they'd record in that studio, he said no because it's not expected to come down till 2 or 3 more years. i think that is a hint of a new album coming faster) and one by 2009/2010. After that, the third Best of, a box-set and a good-bye on top.

PA Annoucer:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, U2 is NOT leaving the building"......

In fact they'll be around and recording music as long as they feel like it.....they're Classic. No matter record sales, or lack of chart success. There will always, I repeat ALWAYS be a large fanbase for U2. They have cemented their place in Rock History and will ride into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame (I think) as the first band on a major tour with a #1 album!! I guarantee it!!

Back
Top Bottom