Hanover Quay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:
i always thought number 2? yeah, im a stupid american. :sad:

Don't feel bad. At least you weren't in Dublin like me and pronounced it like # 2 and had people look at you like you were from Mars.

I learned the hard way.

I thought it was #3, because in the traditional song "Star Of the County Down", the chorus goes "from Bantry Bay up to Derry Quay (pronounced "Kay").

It's key but I would imagine if you got an Irish person to say Key it would sound like kay.

it's definitely Key

if it sounded like kay it was just an accent thing

it's one of those things that can catch you out though. Quay never got me because it's just a word I knew, but I always presumed that Guggi was pronounced Goo-Gee with a hard G in the middle, not Gug-ee with a soft G in the middle, and also thought Eli was pronounced Elly, not Ee-Lie until I heard bono say them in an interview :shrug:

*edited to say I might have got my hard and soft Gs confused.....I'm not sure (I only had 4 hours sleep last night :D )

Last edited:
definitely definitely "key"

check your dictionary and the pronounciation guide if you really wanna make sure but its "key"

It is 'key'
Was in Dublin in September and asked for the way to H Quay. Of course I pronounced it the wrong way... The man I asked looked at me a little confused, than he laughed and said 'Oh, you mean Hanover 'key' :wink: and told me where to go...
@digsy
yeah, you are right with thedictionary- just looked it up :wink:

I got to Dublin a year and a half ago, and started looking for hanover quay (kway) jejejeje, people didn't know wtf I was going on about.

Is 'quay' a foreign word in America or something? I'm astounded this question was even asked.

Bona Vox said:

Was in Dublin in September and asked for the way to H Quay. Of course I pronounced it the wrong way... The man I asked looked at me a little confused, than he laughed and said 'Oh, you mean Hanover 'key' :wink: and told me where to go...
<-- the same happened to me :) but i was there in July :)

Back
Top Bottom