Hands that Built.... movie version vs. Best Of mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
What are the differences? None? Some? As drastic as the diff btwn "Stay" on the Faraway So Close! soundtrack vs. Zooropa? Is it worth picking up the entire soundtrack for this one song? (IMHO, it was for "Stay"...as well as for the extra "Wanderer" verse.)

nathan1977 said:
What are the differences? None? Some? Is it worth picking up the entire soundtrack for this one song?

Good question! I myself have not heard the soundtrack version. But if I remember correctly from watching the actual movie, when they played it at the very end, the intro was different. It was kinda hard to tell, there was dialogue/narration over top of it. But I specifically remember thinking, 'Hey! This is different from the version that I have!' Has anyone heard the soundtrack version?

theres 3 different versions actually, the soundtrack version has violins done by the corrs, a more traditional feel, and the video version on the best of dvd has this gothic sort of feel going with it, very eerie/evil, and the drums don't kick in right away, and when they kick in its kinda the perfect timing-- i have no clue why this wasn't the mix on the best of album, it was far superior

Has anyone ever ripped the audio directly off the DVD of Gangs Of New York? The electric guitars are something sorely missed from the other versions. I always felt this song was weak, but in the movie the guitars gave it more power.

laz

Talking about Stay (Faraway So Close!):

Miggy D said:
The version of 'Stay' on the album for the movie is different? How?

Totally different mix...the only way to describe it is, less Euro-pop and more Euro-rock. It's about a minute longer, the drums are much more aggressive in the mix, there's a whole other middle eight (Bono does some "doh-doh-dohs" ... these you can hear in the remix on Melon).

Worth picking up, IMHO.

nathan1977 said:
Talking about Stay (Faraway So Close!):

Totally different mix...the only way to describe it is, less Euro-pop and more Euro-rock. It's about a minute longer, the drums are much more aggressive in the mix, there's a whole other middle eight (Bono does some "doh-doh-dohs" ... these you can hear in the remix on Melon).

Worth picking up, IMHO.

I'd love to hear it! Can you send me a copy?

TheCallahan@gmail.com

lazarus said:
Has anyone ever ripped the audio directly off the DVD of Gangs Of New York? The electric guitars are something sorely missed from the other versions. I always felt this song was weak, but in the movie the guitars gave it more power.

laz

That's the same way I feel about the movie version. Im not a great fan of the film...so I generally skip straight to the end credits!

The movie I thought was pretty good.... Daniel Day-Lewis was brilliant in there, I think. Kind of dark, but still pretty good.

Surprisingly, the Hands that Built America is the one U2 song my sister loves actually. I remember ripping her a copy and I think she still listens to it.

UnforgettableLemon said:
That's one of my favorite movies of all time. :sad:

Sorry 'Lemon!:wink:
I saw it at the Cinema when it first came out, and bought it on DVD as soon as it was released - mainly for the U2 connection. Im just not a big Di Caprio or Diaz fan. Daniel Day Lewis is really good in it tho. And the storyline is very good too.

Re: Re: Hands that Built.... movie version vs. Best Of mix?

lmjhitman said:

Good question! I myself have not heard the soundtrack version. But if I remember correctly from watching the actual movie, when they played it at the very end, the intro was different. It was kinda hard to tell, there was dialogue/narration over top of it. But I specifically remember thinking, 'Hey! This is different from the version that I have!' Has anyone heard the soundtrack version?

That's the one with the Corrs playing the violoin, isn't it?

I prefer the Best of mix, those keyboards really give the song another dimension.
I always liked this song, more so than Electrical Storm.

Back
Top Bottom