Hackers Attack...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2head

The Fly
A room in the royal hotel, sea facing views
Crackers Prepare Retaliation For Terrorist Attack

By Shane Peterson, Government Technology
WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A.,
14 Sep 2001, 2:48 PM CST

While the federal government tracks down suspects for questioning in Tuesday's attack against the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, cracker groups and individual crackers are plotting their own attack.
The group is calling itself the Dispatchers, and, in a letter posted to the Web on Sept. 12, the group said it has already disabled ISPs in Palestine and is targeting ISPs in Afghanistan with the explicit goal of destroying them.

The Dispatchers, claimed to be approximately 300 strong, said they will also go after Pakistan, Iraq and several other Middle Eastern countries.

"Right now, we're trying to get as many computers as possible," said "Dawgyg," a cracker from World of Hell. "You remember the Mafiaboy thing? We're basically going to do (the same thing) to their routers and destroy their Internet connections throughout the Middle East. We're not going to deface their pages this time. We're going to down their Internet."

The cracker groups said they are planning a coordinated attack against Internet infrastructure in targeted countries and other critical information systems.

"I've been working, and there's been groups of four, five and six people working on different projects," said Hackah Jak, a 21-year-old cracker from Hackweiser and Project China. "I know of one group that's recently targeted two countries and found the systems that handle their money. It's happening as we speak."

The intensity of the attack should be sufficient to cripple connectivity in targeted countries, Dawgyg said, given the numbers of machines that the crackers have compromised to use in the attack. He said he's got approximately 1,100 machines under his control to use in the attack.

"We have the potential and the power, if we push hard enough, to knock an entire country that we target offline for over a week," Hackah Jak said, adding that the crackers started communicating with each other Tuesday afternoon to develop a game plan on the progression of the attack. "We had a basic idea of how we should go about this from our previous shot at Project China back in April and May when we targeted China."

It's a large-scale attack, with crackers in the UK, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, China, Australia, Canada, India, Egypt, Germany, Holland, Denmark and the United States all taking part in the attack.

The Dispatchers aren't worried about law enforcement taking a dim view of their actions.

"I personally know some law upholders - I don't want to say where they work or their names - but I've spoken with them, and they said it's not illegal because it's out of the United States and that they don't have too much of a problem with it," said Hackah Jak. "It's not like we're targeting systems in United States and using them for the attack. My main focus is using their systems to attack each other and disable them."

Though crackers may not be thought of in patriotic terms, Dawgyg said that he and his fellow crackers are enthusiastic about the attack.

"The way most of us see it; most of the hackers are anywhere from 14 years old to 18 years old," he said. "This is the only way we can do anything about (Tuesday's attack). I read an article the other day about Osama bin Laden using encryption methods developed by the United States and Internet access to communicate to his different groups around the world. If we can prevent him from doing that, he won't be able to contact them, therefore, it will make it harder for him to coordinate such attacks like Tuesday's."

Theoretically, if the crackers could get an IP address or an IP range that Bin Laden uses, Hackah Jak said, they could sniff the packets, decrypt them and send the information to the FBI.

Reported by Government Technology, http://www.govtech.net

---------------------
Best wishes.

[This message has been edited by u2head (edited 09-18-2001).]

Originally posted by u2head:
The group is calling itself the Dispatchers, and, in a letter posted to the Web on Sept. 12, the group said it has already disabled ISPs in Palestine and is targeting ISPs in Afghanistan with the explicit goal of destroying them.

Targetting ISP's in Afghanistan? Good luck to them. AFAIK Internet is forbidden in Afghanistan. Apparently, only the leader of the Taliban or so has a connection to the Internet (although Bin Laden maybe also has found a way to use the Internet, even though he isn't allowed to).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

[This message has been edited by Popmartijn (edited 09-20-2001).]

Originally posted by U2Bama:
I have been called "cracker" before
I bet you have. LOL!
biggrin.gif

And so why isn't this post being closed and sent to 'Free Your Mind?'