GRRR!! Look what Eric Clapton said about U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Fanatic4ever said:
He is so off the mark! What he hasn't been around the last 30 yrs for god's sake.:mad: :madspit: He's got a major chip on his shoulder thats for sure.

Eric Clapton hits out at Coldplay and U2
Wednesday, May 17 2006, 14:48 BST - by Fiona Edwards

Eric Clapton disapproves of bands like U2 and Coldplay as they seem
to put their fame before their music.

The 61-year-old guitar legend told The Times: "Right now, the power
of music sits with Simon Cowell and Coldplay and U2, who are really
people who just attend awards shows.

this from a man who's shown up to play guitar at every single award/tribute show in the past 30 years.

U2girl said:
"Will we remember U2 in 30 years?"
BWAHAHAHAHA. No one will remember U2 in the year 2027? What a joke. It's more likely people will be saying U2 are the greatest band of all time ahead of the beatles. I think that's what he was worried about.

As for Clapton what a tool.

U2girl said:

"Today there are groups who sell a lot of records and then disappear immediately. Will we remember U2 in 30 years? Or the Spice Girls? I doubt it."

I'm finding it hard to believe that an important member of my other all-time favorite band said that! :|

Lila64 said:
he dated Sheryl Crow? :scratch: :hmm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheryl_Crow

In 1998 Crow released a third album, called The Globe Sessions. She discussed in press interviews having gone through a deep depression, and had a highly publicized relationship with music legend Eric Clapton. The debut single from this album, "My Favorite Mistake", was rumored to be about him, though Crow claims otherwise.

This isnt the first time Clapton said stuff about U2. I remember reading something very simular last year sometime. As was stated by some other people Clapton himself has done a lot more award/tribute shows in the last 10 years then U2 has so I dont know what hes talking about. But he wont be the last to bash U2 it makes this place kind of entertaining.

U2girl said:

"Asked whether he enjoys groups such as Oasis, U2 and TEXAS, Harrison snorts, "Rubbish! They aren't very interesting. It's OK if you're 14 years old. I prefer to listen to BOB DYLAN." He adds, "You know what irritates me about modern music, it's all based on ego. Look at a group like U2. BONO and his band are so egocentric... The more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music... The only important thing is to sell, and make money. It's nothing to do with talent." The Beatles, he claims "had a value which will last forever." Harrison explains, "Today there are groups who sell a lot of records and then disappear immediately. Will we remember U2 in 30 years? Or the Spice Girls? I doubt it."

This from a member of that band that also brought us, "She loves you yeah yeah,' 'I wanna hold your hand,' 'love me do,' 'number 9 number 9...etc...

And I guess making money and selling wasn't important to the Beatles...come on, would they have started off singing love songs if they wouldn't sell?

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" is not a song made to sell an album. That's no pop song.

"One Step Closer" is no easy-listening pop ditty.

Oh well, a member of the Beatles said it so it must be true. The Beatles can do no wrong, not make a bad album/song...

thrillme said:

This from a member of that band that also brought us, "She loves you yeah yeah,' 'I wanna hold your hand,' 'love me do,' 'number 9 number 9...etc...

And I guess making money and selling wasn't important to the Beatles...come on, would they have started off singing love songs if they wouldn't sell?

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" is not a song made to sell an album. That's no pop song.

"One Step Closer" is no easy-listening pop ditty.

Oh well, a member of the Beatles said it so it must be true. The Beatles can do no wrong, not make a bad album/song...

You could just ignore this almost ten year old quote, instead of trying to insult the Beatles by citing 4 of the most disposable Beatles tracks paying no mind to anything else, then later using one of U2's most pointed political commentaries and personal tributes to somehow show some "balance" to this comparison. Give us a break.

Harrison, as off his rocker as he was when he said what he said, was talking about ego and longevity, and you didn't cover either one of those topics. All you wanted to do was take a dig at the Beatles, because "they could do no wrong", Harrison never said that either.......

U2 have given an image of tremendous egotism, even if some of it were obviously supposed to be ironic, it's Harrison's fault he's missing the boat here, it serves no purpose to go after the Beatles music in this instance, because in these arguments 9 times out of 10, The Beatles win this argument, hands down. That is all.

The Beatles career as a band didn't go past what...10 years. U2 are going on 30, the Rolling Stones are still going, I mean, I don't think longevity as a band is something Harrison has room to speak. The Beatles win every argument, that's something, there seems to be little to no room for criticism towards the Beatles, and you and countless others prove that.

There's an incredible amount of hypocrisy towards the Beatles. U2 fans here get slagged for being "blind devotees," yet anyone who says something negative about the Beatles is told off. Only the U2 fans tend to be the nicest about it but anywhere else, you'd think I insulted their mothers.

I don't know where Harrison got off saying that, dead or not, 10 years ago or not, it's ridiculous.

Not the ego thing, the "who will remember U2 in 30 years" their career is almost 30 years. Youngest band inducted into the Hall of Fame. U2 were in there as soon as they were eligible, wasn't that how the Beatles got in? As soon as they were eligible? U2 were inducted into the Hall of Fame, had a number 1 album, and got Album of the Year, within the spanse of a year. Okay grammy's mean nothing to some but they do make people take notice of you.

It was such a ridiculous statement, only he could say it and only some U2 fans would get bothered by it, but not be allowed to react. U2 fans are told to get over any negative comments, can't like the same thing, they're not gods; Beatles fans, get all uppity. Everyone's gotta except the Beatles as the best ever or be ridiculed and mocked for their lack of musical taste.

Eric Clapton saying U2 and Coldplay sound similar...no surprise one is heavily influenced by the other. Edge was down in New Orleans, helping out, he knows where the roots of rock and roll are, so Clapton is off there but ye know, he never put them with the Spice Girls.

I guess only a "blind devotee" U2 fan could see the insult in that.

I don't care for most of the Beatles songs, and I could live the rest of my life not hearing them ever again.

Harrison's statement is far more insulting than my worthless opinion.

thrillme said:
The Beatles career as a band didn't go past what...10 years. U2 are going on 30, the Rolling Stones are still going, I mean, I don't think longevity as a band is something Harrison has room to speak. The Beatles win every argument, that's something, there seems to be little to no room for criticism towards the Beatles, and you and countless others prove that............

Longevity in terms of influence.
If Coldplay or whomever is still going in 30 years of course people will remember them, they'll have a ready reminder.
But to be defunct and be remembered speaks more to the influence and the importance to rock and roll. U2 will have an influential place, there is no doubt.

Harrison was dead wrong, there is no question, but slagging off the Beatles doesn't prove the point. Do you think U2 needs be validated by downgrading The Beatles? No, it's enough that it's understood that Harrison was laughably wrong without having to try and diminish The Beatles, that's all I was trying to say.

"Right now, the power
of music sits with Simon Cowell and Coldplay and U2, who are really
people who just attend awards shows.

He's jealous.Last time he attended any award show was before Bono was born.

:heart: Eric's talent. But Eric, if you can't & don't do better, don't criticize the ones who want to dance! (at least they know!) :laugh:

The thing is that no one admits that somebody talented and capable to change again the music industry can defy the institutionalized powers (the Beatles). That happened (with U2, for instance), but some refuse to recognize that.

i dont really care about the comments, u2 are the greatest.

but layla :drool: :drool:
maybe my favorite breakdown at the end of a song all time

RademR said:
i dont really care about the comments, u2 are the greatest.

but layla :drool: :drool:
maybe my favorite breakdown at the end of a song all time

Agreed! :drool:

But the acoustic version? :yikes: Makes me want to poke my eardrums out with a pencil. Eric, what were you thinking? :shame:

Come to think of it, the song is Clapton's love song to George Harrison's then wife Patti. Perhaps Clapton and Harrison's grudge against each other was maniftested years later as angry, bitter quotes decrying U2's success? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom