Growing tired of U2.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Well, it has happened once again. I have listened to so much U2 over the last few months, I have grown tired of them.

I guess, I will have to put them down until the tour starts.

Do any of you guys do this? Listen to them constantly and then put away for awhile?

I do, but it tends to take a year,
i listened to All That You Cant Leave Behind constantly for 55 weeks, left it for 3 months then saw them live,
Same with POP
and come to think about it Achtung baby/Zooropa
That was enough of that album. I still listened to it, only not everyday.
Plus other albums came out which needed my attention, (id bought them but never listened to them all properly)

Done well so far, again everyday but ive found it harder to get into this time, I feel this is a good thing though as Im discovering each song on its own merit rather than an album.

Don't get me wrong, I love HTDAAB. It is the only U2 thing I could listen to today. I usually do this around big events (releases, tour start, etc.). I listen to the boys non stop for about three months and then put them away for awhile.

I have had just the opposite effect. I am now listening mostly to U2 and going through their whole catalogue. I wasn't listening to them so much this past year, mainly because I was discovering a whole lot of new music. I do tend to always go back to U2, though. Like an old friend.

I don't really get tired of U2 as a whole, but i'll have an extended period of time when I won't listen to an album or a song, purely because i've overplayed it. At the moment, i'm on a Achtung Baby/'The First Time'/Best of 1990-2000 DVD hiatus. Way too much watching/listening of that recently.

No problem though - the void has been filled with Pop/'All Because Of You'/Best of 1980-1990 video :)

it never happened to me before. I've been listening to u2 since 96 and i can't stop. And now with the new songs and the new tour i'm going to be listening to the band more and more. Besides i still have various tv shows and a couple of concerts to download.

kakvox said:
I have had just the opposite effect. I am now listening mostly to U2 and going through their whole catalogue. I wasn't listening to them so much this past year, mainly because I was discovering a whole lot of new music. I do tend to always go back to U2, though. Like an old friend.

Same here, I'll listen to a lot of new stuff..but U2 is like my favorite pair of slippers...worn but always warm and a perfect fit :wink:

I've never had that happen with U2 because they have so many songs. The same thing happens when I listen to Coldplay though....I listened to their Live 2003 CD all summer...and I probaly haven't listened to it in 3 months since then.

I spend so much time listening to them, that I force myself to not play them and put somebody else in the rotation. But I always come back, usually sooner rather than later. It's like an itch that won't go away. And I'm quite content to keep scratching.

Yeah, I have been a fan since 85, so of course I keep coming back, but I do go through phases where I don't listen to them for awhile.

My cycle usually goes like this: a few months before the new album comes out I start listening through their whole catalogue. I will just throw all the albums in the changer and listen to them straight through. When that gets tiresome, I start to listen to them all on shuffle. Then the album comes out and I listen to that only for a few weeks. Then i start listening to the whole catalogue with the new album and then the shuffle with the new album.

I usually get a concert jones right around this point and I go and spend too much money on bootlegs (thank you interference for saving me cash this time). Then I usually stop listening to them much until the next big event. In this case it will be March first, well probably early Febuary if I'm honest.

Long-time fan, and I never get sick of them.

But sure, there are times when I listen to more of their stuff than others, like when a new CD comes out.

I love a lot of bands, so I'm always listening to lots of other stuff, but U2 is almost always in the mix.

I feel it is best to mix U2 in with other music. I haven't grown tired of them yet, but I can get tired of hearing them on any given day or days.

Now that I have my iPod, I mix in a few of my favorite upbeat U2 songs with tons of other upbeat rock songs from all sorts of artists. U2 sounds best when mixed in with these other songs. This way, it's a nice treat when the U2 song pops up - and I get to hear tons of other music.

I used to do this with CD's as well.

Therefore, instead of only listening to U2 or listening to all of a U2 album before reaching for a non-U2 CD, make a mix CD, tape or playlist (for the iPod or your MP3 player). I think this will help you appreciate U2 more without growing tired of them.

There is always something to listen to from U2 that I havent heard before such as bootlegs or whatever it just never gets too tiring but I do try to take breaks now and then and even a week break makes things sound so much better and it puts into perspective how bad most of the rest of the music inudustry really is.

There are some songs that are just engraved in me,
streets,wowoy,etc. So i hardly listen to a lot of their stuff
simply because ive listened to it so much. So ya i sometimes
need to give u2 a break.

I've been in an extended period of only occasional U2 listening.
I think I kind of burned out years ago, and I'm still working on catching the thrill again. It's kind of hard as I've changed through the years and U2 has changed through the years, and it doesn't seem as if we changed in the same direction. So, there still is material I like, and several albums I'm really fond of, but the incredibly intense love affair has waned. :(

I go on U2 binges, where that will be all I listen to, and usually it's specific albums. Then I'll go off and listen to other music, but still keep some U2 on the playlist. :D

i have thousands of songs on cds and my computer, but i cant listen to any of them back to back with U2, because U2 make them all sounds so inferior :wink:

Sometime I wish I could put the u2 down for awhile, but I can't. I listen to a lot of other music, but u2 gets played everyday of my life.

I listen to vast quantities of music on my I-pod and in the car but always there are one or two U2 tracks in the mix. They are never far away from my ears.

Have just taken HTDAAB out of the car for the first time since release and replaced it with a U2 mix of all my favs.

Aardvark747 said:

Im keeping my U2 ipod - purely for U2 stuff. My mates think im crazy - but hey, who cares!?:wink:

I really really wish I hadn't bought my i-pod earlier this year as I can't justify spending another £250 on the U2 one.

But I don't think you are crazy keeping it pure for U2, I just wish I could do the same. :sad:

I go through stages with their music. I'll listen to a good sampling of it for a week or two or ten, then delve off to other things for a month or so. But I always consistently come back to their music.

They're the only band whose music I consistantly do that with that I've liked over the last twenty or so years. The others I've liked in the past I almost never listen to with any kind of regularity as time goes on, but U2 just does that for me.

ultrraviolette said:

Same here, I'll listen to a lot of new stuff..but U2 is like my favorite pair of slippers...worn but always warm and a perfect fit :wink:

I couldn't have said it better. There was a moment, gosh like 6-7 years ago where I didn't listen to the boys for 3 whole years because I was cheating on them with Pearl Jam. In fact, our affair lasted 3 years, and Pearl Jam became my favorite band displacing U2 from their longterm # 1 position---:shocked: But then PJ recorded Binaural and I, realizing the error of my ways, broke it off. :yes:

I ran back to the boys, asked for forgiveness, did my required penance, we even did a few counseling sessions under the blood red sky, and our love was rekindled. I have since been forgiven and eventually, I was rewarded with ATYCLB. I have been faithful ever since. It wasn't worth throwing away our 12 year marriage over a 7-year itch. :love:

Back
Top Bottom