Group complains about Bono's "fucking" comment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KhanadaRhodes said:

exactly. (hehe we're starting to sound alike with all these exactlys!) swearing was around long before television was invented. i wouldn't even say it's affected the amount of swearing. reading old books (especially ones by irish authors), i see more swearing than i do on a dennis miller special.

:yes:.

Groups like this make it seem like swearing and violence and sex among teens or whatever else has only occured since seeing and hearing these things on T.V.-all of this, like you said, has been around long before television or movies.

And kids will hear these words everywhere they go. Even if swearing was completely banished from television, kids would still hear that word somewhere else, so what good's it gonna do to keep swear words off T.V.?

Kids have to enter the real world sooner or later. We can't protect them from all these things their whole lives (unless parents want to keep their kids holed up in their rooms the rest of their lives). Might as well let them know about these things now so they're ready for when they're out on their own.

Angela

KhanadaRhodes said:

exactly. it ticks me off when people whine about something being offensive, rude, or whatever. if you don't like it, don't buy it, don't watch it, or whatever the case may be. sheesh.

I know you use that philosophy for the old 'if you don't like the thread stay out of it' thing, but in this case this does not apply, because no one knew he was going to say it. Now, if it was advertised in TV Guide, 'tune in at 9:20 pm to see Bono say the F word' and they tuned in and then got offended, yeah, your comment would be valid, but because no one had any reason to expect it and it came out of the blue, there was no way they could have 'not watched it' because they didn't know, and by the time they did, it was too late to turn it off. BUT- I still think they are making way too big a fucking deal out of it and I am totally on Bono's side.

true, although if i had to worry about a child (i'm not a mom yet!) and i thought they were too young to be exposed to it or just plain didn't like it, i'd stay away from the live broadcasts. even though they're usually shot on a delay, for the most part, something offensive (either audio or visual) slips through the cracks and makes it onto the sets of millions.

plus, i'd make sure my kind was already in bed. 9 pm is a little late. :wink:

KhanadaRhodes said:
true, although if i had to worry about a child (i'm not a mom yet!) and i thought they were too young to be exposed to it or just plain didn't like it, i'd stay away from the live broadcasts. even though they're usually shot on a delay, for the most part, something offensive (either audio or visual) slips through the cracks and makes it onto the sets of millions.

plus, i'd make sure my kind was already in bed. 9 pm is a little late. :wink:

Yeah, I remember when I was a kid my bedtime was 8 P.M. 9:20 would have been way too late for me to still be watching TV.

I never had to go to bed early, because there were older kids in the family who were still up. I still think no kid these days would be damaged by hearing fuck. Come on, they hear it from other kids and even at school these days. Little toddlers might never have heard it, but I doubt any toddler would be interested enough to sit and watch an awards show intently enough to catch the word, so it's really ridiculous.

Desire4Bono said:

I know you use that philosophy for the old 'if you don't like the thread stay out of it' thing, but in this case this does not apply, because no one knew he was going to say it. Now, if it was advertised in TV Guide, 'tune in at 9:20 pm to see Bono say the F word' and they tuned in and then got offended, yeah, your comment would be valid, but because no one had any reason to expect it and it came out of the blue, there was no way they could have 'not watched it' because they didn't know, and by the time they did, it was too late to turn it off.

True-good point.

However, the group still should've known that chances are someone would have uttered a swear word at some point during the night. As much as they hope for it, I don't think they'll ever find a day where they can go through all the channels on their television and not hear a single swear word uttered-at some point and time each day, on some channel, on some show, be it a television show or an awards show, someone will swear.

Originally posted by Desire4Bono
BUT- I still think they are making way too big a fucking deal out of it and I am totally on Bono's side.

Yeah.

Angela

I don't by any means agree with this "Group" and the big deal they are making of it. But I still think Bono should not have used the word on prime time television. He should know better...whether or not he had had too much to drink. There are times when it's okay to talk that way and there are times when it's not. I love Bono, but that doesn't mean I have to like everything he does.

Back
Top Bottom