Green Day influenced by U2 again. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Green Day influenced by U2 again.

So last night I saw the video for "Wake Me Up When September Ends"

And the song has the band playing in a dim lit stage, but...

The background features a red backdrop and small house lights that looks a lot like the performance of 'Streets' from Rattle and Hum.

If you want to see the video, go to launch.yahoo.com or music.aol.com

I was watching this part of the video and couldn't help but thinking of U2 and 'Streets' -- is it possible Green Day is taking more hints from U2 and putting them into their work?

Old 08-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 11:11 PM
You're reading too much into things.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Refugee

So U2 holds the copywrite for the colour red now? Sheesh.

And when you said "again," what do you mean? For the life of me, I can't figure out how Green Day is copying U2....they're pretty different stylistically
Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Just watched the video. Good video for an excellent song from an excellent album by a band that have more than proved themselves as serious songwriters! Okay I'm wandering away from the topic. But I don't see anything U2 really. Lots of people have used dim stages and bright lights before. Even if there is some sort of inspiration from U2 in there, it is very subtle.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:11 AM
It's not about a copyright and it's not looking too much into things. My God. The original poster said 'influenced by'. Not 'copied' or 'ripped off' or 'stole from'. Being influenced by another artist, especially one of U2's stature, is not a bad thing and a band that does so is not breaking any rules or anything like that. It's perfectly natural to be influenced by other bands. And there are a few moments where Billy Joe is a black sillouhette on a red background VERY reminiscent of things U2 have done. And that doesn't mean Green Day have stolen anything or ripped anything off, it does't mean they've done anything wrong. It just means that they're influenced by U2. And there's nothing wrong with that. That is all.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
It's not about a copyright and it's not looking too much into things. My God. The original poster said 'influenced by'. Not 'copied' or 'ripped off' or 'stole from'. Being influenced by another artist, especially one of U2's stature, is not a bad thing and a band that does so is not breaking any rules or anything like that. It's perfectly natural to be influenced by other bands. And there are a few moments where Billy Joe is a black sillouhette on a red background VERY reminiscent of things U2 have done. And that doesn't mean Green Day have stolen anything or ripped anything off, it does't mean they've done anything wrong. It just means that they're influenced by U2. And there's nothing wrong with that. That is all.
Don't be so defensive, namkcuR. Or, "my God," as you so delicately put it. Here you go again, turning a discussion about U2 into a personal attack....You're just trying to get me kicked off the board again, basically because you aren't willing to tolerate opinions that you don't share. My comments were not in any way directed against you.

Good day, namkcuR...I tried posting some friendly comments towrads you, and that hasn't worked. So I don't love Pop or October, so what? get over it.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by starvinmarvin

And when you said "again," what do you mean? For the life of me, I can't figure out how Green Day is copying U2....they're pretty different stylistically
have you not noticed how the drum beat to give me novacaine sounds familiar?
to be honest, i think u2 have become such an immense presence on todays music, it is very hard not to escape thier influence.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Don't be so defensive, namkcuR. Or, "my God," as you so delicately put it. Here you go again, turning a discussion about U2 into a personal attack....You're just trying to get me kicked off the board again, basically because you aren't willing to tolerate opinions that you don't share. My comments were not in any way directed against you.

Good day, namkcuR...I tried posting some friendly comments towrads you, and that hasn't worked. So I don't love Pop or October, so what? get over it.
Let the record show that you, not I, brought up Pop/October first in this thread. But I'm not going to talk about them.

I'm not being defense for myself, I'm being defensive for the original poster. I thought he/she had a valid point and I thought it was dismissed with too much of a rolleye attitude by not just you, but the other poster as well. And what I said was not a personal attack. I didn't even mention your name. It was just a response to what I read.

And I have never tried to get you 'kicked off the board', as you put it.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by burns

to be honest, i think u2 have become such an immense presence on todays music, it is very hard not to escape thier influence.
I have noticed that in Give Me Novacaine.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Quote:

Don't be so defensive, namkcuR. Or, "my God," as you so delicately put it. Here you go again, turning a discussion about U2 into a personal attack....You're just trying to get me kicked off the board again, basically because you aren't willing to tolerate opinions that you don't share.
To make my point as clear as possible, I'll quote it again:

Quote:

You're just trying to get me kicked off the board >>>!!AGAIN!!<<<
jick, is it possible you're so... so... not carefull when it comes to your "other" ID??
Old 08-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by bathiu

To make my point as clear as possible, I'll quote it again:

jick, is it possible you're so... so... not carefull when it comes to your "other" ID??
Yes, there's a little bit of Jick in all of us, bathui
Old 08-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #12
Refugee

Old 08-21-2005, 03:07 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:

wow
Old 08-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:

Verily, I say unto you...there is no discernable U2 influence in Green Day's music, there just aren't many similarities. Yes, they are both 3 piece bands, but that's really where the similarities end. There are many, many bands who have been influenced by U2 but Green Day ain't one of them. Sorry.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:17 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Yes, they are both 3 piece bands:
Er, wha'?