Green Day influenced by U2 again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
So last night I saw the video for "Wake Me Up When September Ends"

And the song has the band playing in a dim lit stage, but...

The background features a red backdrop and small house lights that looks a lot like the performance of 'Streets' from Rattle and Hum.

If you want to see the video, go to launch.yahoo.com or music.aol.com

I was watching this part of the video and couldn't help but thinking of U2 and 'Streets' -- is it possible Green Day is taking more hints from U2 and putting them into their work?

So U2 holds the copywrite for the colour red now? Sheesh.

And when you said "again," what do you mean? For the life of me, I can't figure out how Green Day is copying U2....they're pretty different stylistically

Just watched the video. Good video for an excellent song from an excellent album by a band that have more than proved themselves as serious songwriters! Okay I'm wandering away from the topic. But I don't see anything U2 really. Lots of people have used dim stages and bright lights before. Even if there is some sort of inspiration from U2 in there, it is very subtle.

It's not about a copyright and it's not looking too much into things. My God. The original poster said 'influenced by'. Not 'copied' or 'ripped off' or 'stole from'. Being influenced by another artist, especially one of U2's stature, is not a bad thing and a band that does so is not breaking any rules or anything like that. It's perfectly natural to be influenced by other bands. And there are a few moments where Billy Joe is a black sillouhette on a red background VERY reminiscent of things U2 have done. And that doesn't mean Green Day have stolen anything or ripped anything off, it does't mean they've done anything wrong. It just means that they're influenced by U2. And there's nothing wrong with that. That is all.

namkcuR said:
It's not about a copyright and it's not looking too much into things. My God. The original poster said 'influenced by'. Not 'copied' or 'ripped off' or 'stole from'. Being influenced by another artist, especially one of U2's stature, is not a bad thing and a band that does so is not breaking any rules or anything like that. It's perfectly natural to be influenced by other bands. And there are a few moments where Billy Joe is a black sillouhette on a red background VERY reminiscent of things U2 have done. And that doesn't mean Green Day have stolen anything or ripped anything off, it does't mean they've done anything wrong. It just means that they're influenced by U2. And there's nothing wrong with that. That is all.

Don't be so defensive, namkcuR. Or, "my God," as you so delicately put it. Here you go again, turning a discussion about U2 into a personal attack....You're just trying to get me kicked off the board again, basically because you aren't willing to tolerate opinions that you don't share. My comments were not in any way directed against you.

Good day, namkcuR...I tried posting some friendly comments towrads you, and that hasn't worked. So I don't love Pop or October, so what? get over it.

starvinmarvin said:

And when you said "again," what do you mean? For the life of me, I can't figure out how Green Day is copying U2....they're pretty different stylistically

have you not noticed how the drum beat to give me novacaine sounds familiar?
to be honest, i think u2 have become such an immense presence on todays music, it is very hard not to escape thier influence.

starvinmarvin said:

Don't be so defensive, namkcuR. Or, "my God," as you so delicately put it. Here you go again, turning a discussion about U2 into a personal attack....You're just trying to get me kicked off the board again, basically because you aren't willing to tolerate opinions that you don't share. My comments were not in any way directed against you.

Good day, namkcuR...I tried posting some friendly comments towrads you, and that hasn't worked. So I don't love Pop or October, so what? get over it.

Let the record show that you, not I, brought up Pop/October first in this thread. But I'm not going to talk about them.

I'm not being defense for myself, I'm being defensive for the original poster. I thought he/she had a valid point and I thought it was dismissed with too much of a rolleye attitude by not just you, but the other poster as well. And what I said was not a personal attack. I didn't even mention your name. It was just a response to what I read.

And I have never tried to get you 'kicked off the board', as you put it.

burns said:

to be honest, i think u2 have become such an immense presence on todays music, it is very hard not to escape thier influence.

I have noticed that in Give Me Novacaine.

starvinmarvin said:

Don't be so defensive, namkcuR. Or, "my God," as you so delicately put it. Here you go again, turning a discussion about U2 into a personal attack....You're just trying to get me kicked off the board again, basically because you aren't willing to tolerate opinions that you don't share.

To make my point as clear as possible, I'll quote it again:

starvinmarvin said:

You're just trying to get me kicked off the board >>>!!AGAIN!!<<<

jick, is it possible you're so... so... not carefull when it comes to your "other" ID??:laugh:

bathiu said:

To make my point as clear as possible, I'll quote it again:

jick, is it possible you're so... so... not carefull when it comes to your "other" ID??:laugh:

Yes, there's a little bit of Jick in all of us, bathui

burns said:

Verily, I say unto you...there is no discernable U2 influence in Green Day's music, there just aren't many similarities. Yes, they are both 3 piece bands, but that's really where the similarities end. There are many, many bands who have been influenced by U2 but Green Day ain't one of them. Sorry.:wink:

Yes, a three piece band. That's what you call a band with one guitar, a bass, and drums. Most bands are four pieces, with 2 guitars (lead and rythmn), but Edge is so good that he can play both rythmn and lead guitar at the same time.

starvinmarvin said:

Verily, I say unto you...there is no discernable U2 influence in Green Day's music, there just aren't many similarities. Yes, they are both 3 piece bands, but that's really where the similarities end. There are many, many bands who have been influenced by U2 but Green Day ain't one of them. Sorry.:wink:

Just because Green Day doesn't sound as much like U2 as bands like Coldplay and The Bravery, that doesn't mean they weren't influenced by them. You would never guess the guitarist for Simple Plan's guitar hero, especially based on the shitty music they make :wink:

influence can manifest itself in many ways.

Edit: sorry, didn't see you already answered the point about 3-piece band. though U2 does use piano and other elements in their songs it's not something they use every song so I would agree with your assessment.

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:

U2 is a three piece band?? :scratch:

Just because Green Day doesn't sound as much like U2 as bands like Coldplay and The Bravery, that doesn't mean they weren't influenced by them. You would never guess the guitarist for Simple Plan's guitar hero, especially based on the shitty music they make :wink:

influence can manifest itself in many ways.

Have you guys seriously not heard the term "three piece band before?" Forget about Bono, he doesn't count becuase he rarely plays an instrument (and when he does, his guitar is so low in the mix you can't hear it). "Three piece band" refers to how many people in the band are playing instruments. Three piece bands are rare in rock music. Some notable ones include Led Zeppelin, The Who, and, of course, U2. Why make the distinction? Because so few bands have only one guitarist. Most bands have one play lead, while the other solos in order to fill up the sound. Most guitarists are not good enough to do both jobs at once, but Edge can.

Oh, and please prove to me that U2 is an influence on Green Day. If they are, it's so minor that it's not even worth mentioning.:wink:

starvinmarvin said:

Have you guys seriously not heard the term "three piece band before?" Forget about Bono, he doesn't count becuase he rarely plays an instrument (and when he does, his guitar is so low in the mix you can't hear it). "Three piece band" refers to how many people in the band are playing instruments. Three piece bands are rare in rock music. Some notable ones include Led Zeppelin, The Who, and, of course, U2. Why make the distinction? Because so few bands have only one guitarist. Most bands have one play lead, while the other solos in order to fill up the sound. Most guitarists are not good enough to do both jobs at once, but Edge can.

yes, I agree, did you see my edit?

I don't know if U2 is an influence on Green Day or not, I'm just pointing out that influence isn't always obvious. I do know Billie has praised U2 before.

AtomicBono said:

yes, I agree, did you see my edit?

I don't know if U2 is an influence on Green Day or not, I'm just pointing out that influence isn't always obvious. I do know Billie has praised U2 before.

Sorry, I didn't see your edit.:ohmy:

I see your point about Billie praising U2, but admiring someone and being influenced by them musically are two different things. Like, I admire Beethoven's music, but there are no obvious traces of Beethoven in my guitar playing.

bathiu said:
this has been said countless times again but i'm warning ALL of you, starvinmarvin is NOT jick. stop calling him jick. they are not the same person. so stop referring to him as jick. joking or not, i don't care, but it looks like (to other posters i mean) that we let a banned member back in and i don't want there to be any confusion about it. not to mention that, and i repeat, starvinmarvin is NOT jick. unless anyone has any actual concrete evidence to prove it, i don't want to hear him or anyone else being called jick unless you actually think the person is jick.

that being said, these comparison threads seem to have a tendency to get ugly *but* i'll leave this one open for now because it's pretty tame so far. but please guys, remember to not take things said about either band (in this case green day or U2) personally. if you have a valid point or opinion you'd like to share that's fine, but please don't come in here if you're just going to yell at people. so hopefully this thread can stay open. :)

You know, I've done some thinking about it, and I now see something that Green Day and U2 share in common: influences. The way I see it, there are three basic varieties of punk, although some punk bands display all three traits:

1) Hardcore
- this started with the Sex Pistols, who were anarchists and hedonists and nihilists to the max. Their aim was to tear everything down. U2 and Green Day do not share this influence.

2) Fart joke Punk
-I hate to say it, but this kind of started with the Ramones, and bands like Blink 182 and Dayglo Abortions have carried on this tradition of silliness. These bands are heavy on the fart/masterbation jokes and general rude silliness. U2 loves the Ramones, but sounds nothing like them. Green day was this kind of band in the beginning, but have evolved into the #3.....

3) Political Agitators
- This tradition started with the Clash. these bands are idealistic, and are out to right all of the wrongs in the world. They are left-leaning political agitators. U2 has often stated how influenced they were by The Clash. Lsiten to Street Mission, and its all right there already. Of course, U2 has moved far beyond that musically sopeaking, but they've always carried the torch taht the Clash passed on to them. Now Green Day is becoming more political, albeit with a slightly nihilistic outlook.

In the end, Green Day and U2 do share one major common link: The Clash. Green Day has not been musically influenced by U2, but they do have common roots.

American Idiot just strikes me as Green Day's War...

except more punk-influenced and has those rock opera elements

there are more similarities to Green Day and U2 than what's obvious. just listen to the guitar solo in Wake Me Up When September Ends -- a lot of Edge influence there.

oh yeah, the drums to Give Me Novacaine = drums to Bullet the Blue Sky.

discothequeLP said:
there are more similarities to Green Day and U2 than what's obvious. just listen to the guitar solo in Wake Me Up When September Ends -- a lot of Edge influence there.

oh yeah, the drums to Give Me Novacaine = drums to Bullet the Blue Sky.

yes, I noticed those 2 definately

Sorry guys, but the drums to Novocaine are similar, but not the same as BTBS. Besides, that drum pattern wasn't invented by U2 anyways, its a pretty unoriginal one actually. I'm sure if we bothered to we would find that drum beat in many popular songs over the years, not to mention African music.

The guitar solo on September? Influenced by Edge? That's really pushing it.....:shame:

Back
Top Bottom