Green Day influenced by U2 again. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2005, 05:06 PM   #46
VKX
Babyface

Local Time: 07:03 PM
I don't know, I just think you're looking too much into this. But that's just me.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:14 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Billie Joe did also say that he was largely impressed by U2's Elevation tour, the way they changed up eras and sounds at the drop of a hat, and how he'd like Green Day to get there someday. I think inspired by U2 might be a better word choice than influenced by.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:09 PM   #48
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
Billie Joe did also say that he was largely impressed by U2's Elevation tour, the way they changed up eras and sounds at the drop of a hat, and how he'd like Green Day to get there someday. I think inspired by U2 might be a better word choice than influenced by.

Post of the week!!!!!!

That's what I was trying to say, but it didn't come out right.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:59 AM   #49
Refugee

The Foo Fighters didn't copy U2, but they were going to open for them at Slane 2... so obviously they are a bit influenced by them.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:21 AM   #50
The Fly

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by starvinmarvin
Yes, a three piece band. That's what you call a band with one guitar, a bass, and drums. Most bands are four pieces, with 2 guitars (lead and rythmn), but Edge is so good that he can play both rythmn and lead guitar at the same time.
Green Day have an extra guitarist on stage so I wouldn't really class them as a three piece band. Edge does not play lead and rhythm at the same time either, there is blatantly an extra guitar in some songs (ABOY, One etc) and it is not Bono playing it even when he has a guitar. U2 have an "under the stage musician".
Old 08-23-2005, 02:30 AM   #51
The Fly

To say Green Day are copying U2 because of a video with a red screen is pretty ridiculous IMO.specially as the music sounds very different.
However I feel the arguments about Coldplay are trying to be U2 are justified though. Not because of one particular aspect of what they are doing but because if a culmination of factors. For example the video for "speed of sound"(the red screen and Chris Martin's "movements"), the edge influenced guitar on the album, Chris Martin trying to speak out on humanitarian issues (he even said he was trying to be like Bono). There a few more that don't come to mind. Now if Coldplay were just doing one of these things you would say that "U2 didn't come up with a red screen etc" but it is the fact that they are becoming so similar to U2 in so many ways that makes me think they want to be them. Now Green Day might have a red screen but their music sounds so different to U2 I don't think you could possibly say that they copied the red screen of U2 because "U2 didn't come up with the red screen"!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 05:54 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nickypiemcg

Green Day have an extra guitarist on stage so I wouldn't really class them as a three piece band. Edge does not play lead and rhythm at the same time either, there is blatantly an extra guitar in some songs (ABOY, One etc) and it is not Bono playing it even when he has a guitar. U2 have an "under the stage musician".
No U2 doesn't, they'll use backing tracks to accompany the lads now and again...........

I thought everyone got over that one
Old 08-23-2005, 05:56 AM   #53
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude

No U2 doesn't, they'll use backing tracks to accompany the lads now and again...........

I thought everyone got over that one
Well it amounts to the same thing really doesn't it.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nickypiemcg

Well it amounts to the same thing really doesn't it.
Not really, you see if I was an extra understage guitarist I'd being pretty pissed so to speak