Greatest U2 Live Moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
So a good friend of mine (we have both been fans since the mid-80's) and I were discussin this weekend what the best U2 live moment was. Meaning what part of their tours (NOT SPECIFIC MOMENTS) were the most magic.

He picked when Macphisto would make his way to the stage during the ZooTv tour.

I picked the Bad - 40 - Streets combo on elevation. Not my favorite tour, but I thought that was the coolest sequence of any show/tour I have seen.

Keeping in mind that I am not looking for a SPECIFIC MOMENT (i.e. Live Aide dance, Rock and Roll stops the traffic, etc.) What is your pick?

Well, I'm young and have only seen it in vidoes, but even video renditions of the red opening to Where the Streets Have No Name gives me chills.

The clutter words of The Fly, ZooTV or Vertigo tours, impresses me too!

And the opera/intro to Zoo Station...yes!:bow:

The opening and then Bono's entrance during ZooTv....just amazing. Please God, take me back to ZooTv!!!

or

The bullfight during UTEOTW from the Elevation tour.....wow.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Westport said:
The opening and then Bono's entrance during ZooTv....just amazing. Please God, take me back to ZooTv!!!

or

The bullfight during UTEOTW from the Elevation tour.....wow.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I second both these - The Zoo TV entrance in particular was awesome with Bono at his coolest.

I also loved the lapping of the heart during the Elevation version of 'The Fly' - only better than the 'Streets' lap because he does it at twice the speed!

Red screen backdrop opener to Streets - JT era
Everything you know is wrong.
House lights on to start Elevation.
Gradual opener to SBS - Conspiracy of Hope

Those top my list, cool thread.

It's gotta be "Bad" somewhere - Live Aid perhaps???
Somewhere else that I never had the pleasure of seeing.
Or maybe it's the performance of "Maggies Farm" in 1986 from the Amnesty concerts - check this out - there's some spin tingling energy during that song that I haven't seen in quite awhile.

Last edited:
At risk of dating myself(I was young at the time!) I really loved the Conspiracy of Hope tour. I had gotten into the Band after seeing them at live aid and then not a peep from them for a year as they began recording the Joshua Tree. The Year between Live Aid and Self Aid/ COH tour their popularity was growing and anticipation for "New U2" was increasing bigtime. When they finally closed the last concert, televised on MTV and Muchmusic, they looked like such rockstars. Bono had the Jim Morrison thing going and the band had a real late 60s vibe going. For me that was the coolest era, image wise(even more than Zoo TV)-unfortunately it lasted only a handful of shows-Self Aid in Dublin and the 2 week tour of America

man, everyone read the directions really well on this thread :rolleyes:

mine would be a tie between the...

Please / Streets transition on Popmart

or the...

Dirty Day on Zoo TV

or...

Running to Stand Still on Zoo TV

Mine would be the opening sequence for the Elevation Tour. I can't think of a better way to interact with your audience than to come on with the house lights still on. That was awesome everytime you saw it.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
At risk of dating myself(I was young at the time!) I really loved the Conspiracy of Hope tour. I had gotten into the Band after seeing them at live aid and then not a peep from them for a year as they began recording the Joshua Tree. The Year between Live Aid and Self Aid/ COH tour their popularity was growing and anticipation for "New U2" was increasing bigtime. When they finally closed the last concert, televised on MTV and Muchmusic, they looked like such rockstars. Bono had the Jim Morrison thing going and the band had a real late 60s vibe going. For me that was the coolest era, image wise(even more than Zoo TV)-unfortunately it lasted only a handful of shows-Self Aid in Dublin and the 2 week tour of America

Are there any recordings available from this period, anyone?

During Zoo TV, Bono taking the handicam and spinning around with the cam pointed on his face. The view from the screen is Bono's face with the background whipping past behind him. During EBTTRT I believe....

The first time I ever saw them live, and

Bad on Live Aid when he dances with the girl, and the music goes on and on, just them playing, and his hair, it was so beautiful, and his fringe jacket.

Also, Red Rocks with the white flag. And Bono's outfit again, and his hair again, the tight black pants, the sleeveless top, and the boots.

Bono, a white flag now and then wouldn't be so bad on SBS.

Definitely the opening to ZooTV, the whole thing with Bono and into Zoo Station.

MacPhisto's ZooTV parts.

Where the Streets Have No Name from.. oh every tour. LOL.
R&H, and ZooTV especially.

When they finally closed the last concert, televised on MTV and Muchmusic, they looked like such rockstars.

I was at that show!

Bono came out and sang with the Police!

God, what a concert. $40 got you U2, The Police reunion (what a great surprise as only Sting was slated to perform), Peter Gabriel, Bryan Adams, and about 20 other bands playing all day at Giants Stadium. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom