Great quote about the effect of Bono's activism on the music...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LyricalDrug said:
Great quote. I think this is why so many hardcore U2 fans went gaga over Mercy -- it harkens back to the dark, moody, artsy, up-in-the-slipstream lyrics of the AB-Zooropa-Pop days ("What's the use of religion / if you're any good"). So many of the last 2 albums' lyrics are banal, and make me cringe. It's like I'm reading a Hallmark card, or watching Oprah or something.
"Some things you shouldn't get too good at / like smiling, crying or celebrity" and "Freedom has a scent / like the top of a newborn baby's head"... yikes.

(Standard disclaimer -- yes I idolize Bono, and U2, but just think the lyrics have gotten lazy and weak in spots.)

Okay,granted "Freedom has a scent. . ." is pretty lame, especially for Bono.

But I liked "Some things you shouldn't get too good at. . ."

The thing is Bono and U2 in general have always been political/activist but they've also historically been "non-partisan" (and soundly criticized for it). Remember the "white flag" and the "this is not a rebel song." I agree Bono may have taken more chances in the old days (after all there was that business of "f--k the revolution") but I don't see a major departure in Bono's attitudes towards politics. I know it irks some people greatly to see him consorting with the Demon Bush, but so be it.

Personally, I worry more about Bono letting all this adulation go to his head then his being overinvovled in "activism". Time magazine nominated him "Man of the Year" and one of the World's Most Influential People (and a couple of years ago pretty much called him a 21st Century Messiah--the cover title being "Can This Man Save the World). And wasn't there talk of nominating him for the Nobel Peace Prize?

I just think, wow, at what point does this guy start to believe, "wow, I really AM the savior of the world." If he starts to believe this, you're really going to see a drop in the quality of his creative output. Personally, I think so far he's done a pretty remarkable job of keeping his head on straight. I think his faith helps a lot in that regard.

Bono has always been and always will be lightening rod for controversy and criticism even among fans of U2 for two reasons:

1. His "uncool" enthusiasm about things whether it was Sarejevo back in the day or aid to Africa now. His optimism and eagerness are always going to irritate the "cooler than thou" crowd.
2. His penchant for talking too much and perhaps saying things that are bit ill-advised from time to time(a problem I can identify with because I have the same problem).

Back
Top Bottom