Grammy snub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
I was watching Access Hollywood and they were announcing Grammy nominations. They made an effort to point out that U2 was snubbed for Record of The Year and even had a music industry guy comment on how in his opinion U2 was and is the best choice. What gives? Is it because the album is "too new" perhaps?

Yeah, record of the year is a songwriting award, and Vertigo isn't exactly a groundbreaking song lyrically or structurally. It's great, but I don't think it's record of the year.

:reject:

don't hurt me.

dude, the Grammy's are entirely worthless bullshit anyway. I don't think I've liked a record that's won album of the year since...hmm....probably the Joshua Tree. They're the musical equivalent of the Academy Awards--the industry lavishing attention on whatever's been the biggest hit of any given year. Ick!

UnforgettableLemon said:
Yeah, record of the year is a songwriting award, and Vertigo isn't exactly a groundbreaking song lyrically or structurally. It's great, but I don't think it's record of the year.

don't hurt me.

I think it's pretty deep, lyrically. But, it may not be the kind of depth the Grammy people are looking for.

It is deep, but nothing new. Reminds me a LOT of Discotheque. Much better than the Native Son lyrics, though. (I still think this is the best single they've released in ages. I didn't think Walk On should have won ... I like the song and all, but not their most impressive)

In terms of albums of the year in the last few years-
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below was a brilliant album, and a bold choice.
Norah Jones was a little startling and surprising, but it was a solid album nonetheless.
Steely Dan, O Brother, yes... those were crap choices.

starsgoblue said:
I was watching Access Hollywood and they were announcing Grammy nominations. They made an effort to point out that U2 was snubbed for Record of The Year and even had a music industry guy comment on how in his opinion U2 was and is the best choice. What gives? Is it because the album is "too new" perhaps?

Correct - the album was released after the Grammy deadline of October 1, 2003 through September 30, 2004.

Hasnt got snubbed since only one track was eligible
If Original Of The Species is released as a single im quite sure that it will win a major award and I am confident that Bomb can win album of the year next year...this year is only the warmup:wink:

Vertigo is a great song, but not a record of the year, like Beautiful Day. Sometimes could be the winner next year though.

I have a gut feeling "Sometimes..." is going to win a lot of awards.

A fan for twentysomething years and no U2 song has touched me like this one so I hope my gut feeling is proved correct. I don't feel emotional about the song because of Bono's dad but my very own father who died when I was 18 and if I had the talent of U2 i'd have written it myself. Amazing song for my own personal reasons.

Last edited:
the great thing about "Sometimes" is that it demands people to "listen to me now". you can't turn it down.

mikal said:
the great thing about "Sometimes" is that it demands people to "listen to me now". you can't turn it down.

we'll all interpert songs for our own reasons but i think he's telling his dad to "listen to me now" rather than us.

the bit that cracks my heart is when he sings "can - you - hear - me - when - i - sing, you're the reason i sing. you're the reason why the opera is in me..."

man, i'm going all rubbery again....sob

The Grammy Awards suck major amounts of ass. They're unreliable and they're outdated. I could care less if U2's new single/album are nominated. I guess they're worth something if more people buy the album, but I don't care about that either. If someone needs an album to win a grammy for it to be considered purchase-worthy, then they are stupid idiots.

Vertigo is no Beautiful Day. I'm surprised it got nominated at all, all things considered. 'Beautiful Day' was U2's 'return to form.' Vertigo is a song that didn't really crack popular radio.

-Miggy D

Vertigo actually charted much better then Beautiful Day in the US, on a wider variety of charts as well.

Miggy D said:
If someone needs an album to win a grammy for it to be considered purchase-worthy, then they are stupid idiots.

That is uncalled for. It can help make people think twice about someone they were not very interested in before. I know a lot about music, but have made a couple purchases in the past based on the awards.

The Grammy's, while flawed, are much better than the American Music Awards or the Billboard Awards, which are true popularity contests. Someone said that the Grammy's just lavish attention on whatever is the biggest hit. If that was true, how could Walk On have won? Didn't even crack the top 100. Also, ATYCLB would have beaten O Brother if that was true, O Brother did not sell much until the Grammy's. BTW, it is also a good album if people take the time to listen to it.

People like to rip on the Grammy's and Oscar's because their favorite did not win. But they are not popularity contests, most people actually think the opposite about the Oscar's, that they only nominate artsy movies. The fact is each member votes for what he/she likes. That's it.

i personally don't need an award show to tell me if the music i've been listening to is any good, as much as i don't need to read a review by some dumb critic.

i'll buy an album (or movie) because of recommendations from people i know, because of the artist, or having heard a song on the radio.

it's crazy that anyone would buy an album because it's won grammys! music is subjective, personal. The album ATYCLB and it's songs won more Grammy's than any other U2 album....okay Grammy's are not awarded in relation to previous albums but with other artists' material from that particular year. however, on paper (the music history book), it looks like ATYCLB is a better album than say The Joshua Tree...to some people that may be true but I think most of us know differently.

I hate the Grammys.

Last edited:
ewen said:
it's crazy that anyone would buy an album because it's won grammys! music is subjective, personal.

I agree except it can make you look at something you wouldn't have before. Then go to Amazon or something, listen, and realize that you do like it. I am not saying that you should buy it blindly after hearing that it won.

Grammy's aren't all that bad. They seem to be the least subjective out of all the other music awards shows.

Now, if you want to see a joke, watch the VMA's. Sure, it is only based on music videos, but that sack of crap is the truest of popularity contests.

U2@NYC said:
Outkast sucks.

The day a rap album won record of the year in the U.S., I knew we were lost.

Rap sucks. :down: :down: :down:

in your opinion!

ok, i'm not a rap fan but it has it's rightful place in popular music as much as rock / country / punk or whatever other genre.

i actually quiet like Outkast, or at least the few songs I've heard, but as I've said I'm into rock music but aslong as I like the song I don't care what label it has.

UnforgettableLemon said:

don't hurt me.

Record of the Year is a Producer Award. Song of the Year is a songwriters award.

Beautiful Day won both.
The following year, Walk On won Record of the Year.

shutdown said:

Record of the Year is a Producer Award. Song of the Year is a songwriters award.

Beautiful Day won both.
The following year, Walk On won Record of the Year.

so if Walk On had actually had crap lyrics and crap music but the production "superb" (in the opinion of the Grammy people) then it would still have won?

man, i hate awards

UnforgettableLemon said:

don't hurt me.

Song of the Year is the "Songwriting award"

Record of the Year is more about the overall production and sound.

I think the song is great and far better than anything that was actually nominated.

UnforgettableLemon said:
It is deep, but nothing new. Reminds me a LOT of Discotheque. Much better than the Native Son lyrics, though. (I still think this is the best single they've released in ages. I didn't think Walk On should have won ... I like the song and all, but not their most impressive)

In terms of albums of the year in the last few years-
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below was a brilliant album, and a bold choice.
Norah Jones was a little startling and surprising, but it was a solid album nonetheless.
Steely Dan, O Brother, yes... those were crap choices.

"Walk On" in my opinion is one of the greatest songs U2 has ever written. Definitely in my top 15 U2 songs of all time.

UnforgettableLemon said:

don't hurt me.

And multiple nominees Usher, Keyes and Green Day are? :huh:

It does seem every year they patronize a different genre, this year it's rap :sigh: I don't think of Outkast as rap, they are too high quality and too tuneful for rap.

Back
Top Bottom