Grammy records set by U2??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
i was just thinking about U2 and the Grammys. I think that U2 definitely have a few Grammy records under their belt. Lets take a look:

Has anyone ever won grammys in 3 different genres? - U2 could. They have won in the Rock Category with several awards, they have won for best Alternative album, and if Stuck wins this year they will win the in Pop field.

Has anyone ever had 4 songs nominated for grammys off of one album? I don't think so, in fact probably not even 3. U2 has.

Has anyone ever had 11 grammy nomination for one album? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. U2 has.

Has a GROUP ever won Album of the year twice? Nope. U2 might this year.

Has any GROUP won more than 10 grammys? Not that I know of, and that number will only go up for U2 this year.

Those are some that I have thought of. Anyone else??

Wow, that is cool!! I don't know a thing about Grammy records but still cool!
wink.gif

------------------
Love will make you mine...
Creep up from behind...
Get you jumping out of your skin...
Angel, it's sink or swim.

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by womanfish:
Has anyone ever won grammys in 3 different genres? - U2 could. They have won in the Rock Category with several awards, they have won for best Alternative album, and if Stuck wins this year they will win the in Pop field.

Michael Jackson is the only winner to prevail in the vocal performance categories for pop, rock and r&b, which he did in 1983 during his "Thriller" sweep. So yes, someone has won in 3 different categories before.

Has anyone ever had 4 songs nominated for grammys off of one album? I don't think so, in fact probably not even 3. U2 has.

I'm still checking on this one. However, I was thinking this myself - 4 songs nominated from one album...wow! Even moreso, every single that U2 released was nominated for a Grammy! Maybe the songs weren't huge U.S. hits, but all four made the Top 5 in the the U.K. and Top 10 in Australia and Ireland! Even JT and AB singles didn't have that success. Clearly, U2 chose their singles well this time.

Has anyone ever had 11 grammy nomination for one album? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. U2 has.

Michael Jackson had 12 nominations for "Thriller" in '83 and one more nomination for a "Thriller-related" project in '84.

Has a GROUP ever won Album of the year twice? Nope. U2 might this year.

You are right here - no GROUP has ever won the Album of the Year award twice. Several solo artists have.

Has any GROUP won more than 10 grammys? Not that I know of, and that number will only go up for U2 this year.

Michael Jackson won 8 Grammy Awards for "Thriller" alone and 13 overall (of course, he's not a GROUP). And people like Paul Simon and Quincy Jones have won far more, but they too aren't GROUPS.

The Beatles won 11 awards when they were together. They also won 6 more Grammys later, three of which were "Hall of Fame" type of awards (the other three were for "Free as a Bird" in 1996). Plus, there were numerous other Grammy awards for various member of the Beatles (but technically, these don't count).

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 02-21-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom