Grammy performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2mad25

The Fly
I think it's safe to say they will perform at the Grammys this year (has any artist nominated for Album of the Year not performed?). What song should they play - Sometimes was played at the last award show, even though it's nominated for Song of the Year this time. My vote is for COBL (would be a great show opener). Or maybe they'll pull a twist and play Vertigo (which is what they SHOULD have played last time).

They didnt play Vertigo last time because.........

Well, I'll give the Bono version, because it had been overplayed. Sometimes , I thought was good choice.

If they're playing at the next Grammys I think they should play COBL or OOTS.

Yes, I'm aware of Bono's explanation and he has a point but IMO Sometimes put the crowd to sleep, esp after the announcer hyped "Coming up next, U2 rocks the Grammys". Uh yeah, sure...

It's definitely going to be "Please" to tie in with Bush spying on everyone and all.

well, SOMETIMES wasn't nominated last year, and they played that.

But I don't think they will play:
Vertigo (overplayed on tv performances - bono)
Sometimes (played last year)
All Because Of You (got shut out. only single not nominated)

so i think it falls between OOTS and COBL

i am leaning toward OOTS because it is their new single.

But I think it would be smart to play COBL...

because:
1. they need to play a faster song this year
2. they have never played it on american tv (which is why the single flopped)
3. it is nominated for best rock song
4. looking at all the other nominees, it would blow away any other performance.

if they win best album (or even if they don't) their album will jump up the charts (it happens with the album nominees every year). if they play a song american audiences aren't familiar with and the song is that good, U2 stands to gain a lot from the performance.

on the other hand, OOTS is already in rotation on the ipod commercial.

in pure business senes, COBL is the best choice.
who knows, maybe as a result people would request it on radio and it would get a little bit of airplay.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i was thinking original of the species with an orchestra as well

and i wouldn't be surprised if bono and alicia did their whole little duet thing... not that i've heard anything, i'm just guessing

That thought crossed my mind too, considering the all star get together last year with "Across the Universe" - maybe they'll expand it and invite others on stage too? I'm sure Alicia is nominated so she'll be there.

Maybe U2 should play "Vertigo" this year.

I agree that "Sometimes..." was a bit too slow last year (especially when Green Day rocked with "American Idiot"). Now that a year has passed, I think hearing "Vertigo" on TV again would be a blast. :yes:

I would love for them to play OOTS...but then I was thinking...since OOTS didn't make the cutoff for this year, it could get nominated next year and then what would they play?!?

So based on that, if I had to guess I would say COBL. I doubt they would play Vertigo since it has been out for over a year now and it got awards at the 2005 grammy's. I suppose they could always play some old stuff....OOH! what if they played An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart? Now that would be cool and a definite surprise to people who haven't been following their concerts!

LightMyWay60 said:
I would love for them to play OOTS...but then I was thinking...since OOTS didn't make the cutoff for this year, it could get nominated next year and then what would they play?!?

So based on that, if I had to guess I would say COBL. I doubt they would play Vertigo since it has been out for over a year now and it got awards at the 2005 grammy's. I suppose they could always play some old stuff....OOH! what if they played An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart? Now that would be cool and a definite surprise to people who haven't been following their concerts!

While U2 fans would be in heaven, I think the average audience member would be scratching their heads at "Cat Dubh/Into the Heart". "Electric Co." though?? :wink:

I just think it would be lame to have U2 perform at the Grammys without Edge playing guitar. If they play the lame-ass neutered version of OOTS that 99% of us were subjected to on this tour, it would be a major letdown.

However, if they have the cojones to let the piano player come out and join them so Edge can go electric, it could bring down the house, and no one will say jack shit if they take Album of the Year afterwards. I think COBL is too epic for a one-song shot, but if it's between that and the ac-snooze-tic OOTS, I'll welcome it with open arms.

Back
Top Bottom