Grammy Noms announced today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:

I wonder if the long delay hurt their chances for Album of the Year...

No, it was deliberate, the way they release the single/album. To maximise its exposure and potential for success, they released Vertigo before the noms cut off, and the album after, to spread themselves accross 2 possible Grammys. This is what happened with ATYCLB.

This is why I feel it took an extra year to release the album. I'm sure had they really wanted it out a bit earlier, they could have done so in about June/July. But for marketing and awards purposes, they haven't.

Palace_Hero said:

No, it was deliberate, the way they release the single/album. To maximise its exposure and potential for success, they released Vertigo before the noms cut off, and the album after, to spread themselves accross 2 possible Grammys. This is what happened with ATYCLB.

This is why I feel it took an extra year to release the album. I'm sure had they really wanted it out a bit earlier, they could have done so in about June/July. But for marketing and awards purposes, they haven't.

I understand what you are saying, and in the case of ATYCLB, it certainly did increase its exposure. It had excellent longevity in terms of sales and airplay. I think, though, that it might have had a better chance at nabbing the Album Of The Year if they had released it a few months earlier in 2000, because it would have been part of the immediate impact of a new release.

No, it didn't. Beautiful Day, Stuck..., Elevation and Walk On did win in individual song categories and the album won the Best Rock Album category, but not Album Of The Year.
Kinda strange when you look at it, 7 Grammy Awards but not for Album Of The Year.

C ya!

Marty

Steely Dan won Album Of The Year the year Beautiful Day won three Grammy Awards. The winner of the Album Of The Year title when ATYCLB was eligible was the O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack.

Aardvark747 said:
Who the hell was on that soundtrack anyway!!?

It is mostly old fashioned bluegrass (with some Gospel and Blues as well). It is actually surprisingly good. I wish ATYCLB would have won but it is not as if O Brother was undeserving.

bsp77 said:

It is mostly old fashioned bluegrass (with some Gospel and Blues as well). It is actually surprisingly good. I wish ATYCLB would have won but it is not as if O Brother was undeserving.

I thought it was a good album, too. I listened to a friend's copy once. It was actually nice to see an album that didn't sell a zillion copies win for a change.

I always thought the true Grammy crime when it came to U2 was when Eric Clapton's Unplugged album, in which he turned all his great songs into snorefests, won Best Album over Achtung Baby.

Just to clarify: the soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou? was a HUUUUUUUGE seller. Both before and after the Grammys, the album did remarkably well. Perhaps I'm just smoking too much crack, but I'm inclined to say that it outsold All That You Can't Leave Behind (at least in America) by several million copies.

Sorry, I was under the impression that a lot of the sales of the album were after the Grammys. Guess I should do more research before I post! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom