Grammy list here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
U2 is nominated for a few great awards -- album and song of the year. It may be a bit tough for song though -- up against Springsteen.

I don't know, I just feel something is weird with this list. I mean, I actually LIKE alot of the music that has been nominated this year. What's wrong with me?

link to full Grammy list

Ah, you beat me to it!

Looks like we have so far...

Album of the Year
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
U2
Brian Eno, Flood, Daniel Lanois, Jacknife Lee, Steve Lillywhite & Chris Thomas,
producers; Greg Collins, Flood, Carl Glanville, Simon Gogerly, Nellee Hooper,
Jacknife Lee & Steve Lillywhite, engineers/mixers; Arnie Acosta, mastering
engineer

Song of the Year
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
U2, songwriters (U2)
Track from: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
[Interscope Records; Publisher: Universal Music Publishing.]

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
U2
[Interscope Records]

Best Rock song
City Of Blinding Lights
U2, songwriters (U2)
[Interscope Records; Publisher: Universal Music Publishing.]

Best Rock Album
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
U2
[Interscope Records]

Did I miss any?

So much Mariah -- oh dear. That will make it tough to watch. I feel like it was set up with COBL for rock song so that Coldplay will win one award and everything else they are in against U2 (rock album and when they're against Sometimes) they'll lose. Not that I don't think COBL is great -- just seems to stick out. Good to see Funeral for Best Alternative Album too -- even though it was released before the Grammy deadline for this year (guess they feel bad that they messed up last yaer).

Thanks for posting the list!

Acty, Trash, I had a question about that -- what is the deadline? I thought Atomic Bomb was released before this year's deadline -- was obviously wrong.

I think October 31st is the deadline (for singles and albums)

Therefore Vertigo single was nominated last year while the album and other singles this year!

I love Arcade Fire (some are from my home town)...happy to see that they got the nom even though I am intrigued by the fact they got the nom one year later...what is the rule on "lateness"?

I suspect that the White Striptes will win though...one of my other fav bands! :)

But for U2, I suspect they will win 2 or 3! :))))

Ah, wait, there's kinda one more hidden one...

Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical
Steve Lillywhite
• How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (U2) (A)
• Mr. A-Z (Jason Mraz) (A)

Yes that doesn't make sense when the winner of the album of the year doesn't even win in it's category (like best rock album)...What's up with that?

it's Kanye's world.

we just live in it.

and everyone knows there's gong to be a U2 vs. Coldplay hype-race-battle-face off type thing, what with Mr. Gwyneth Paltrow talking about how he wants to take them out as the biggest band in the world.

who would win in a fist fight? Bono or Apple's father?

what if we gave them jousting sticks?

boxing gloves?

lightsabers?

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
The Emancipation of Mimi – Mariah Carey
Chaos And Creation in The Backyard – Paul McCartney
Love Angel Music Baby – Gwen Stefani
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb – U2
Late Registration – Kanye West

Prediction: Too much competition for HTDAAB to win. Kanye's album was solid and he became an even bigger star this year, and let's not forget The Emancipation of Mimi, responsible for bringing back the career of Mariah Carey. Remember, this is the same woman that bought out of her contract with her previous studio because they did not think she had any more good albums in her. Mariah's comeback likely wins her the award.

SONG OF THE YEAR (Songwriters award)
Bless The Broken Road – Rascal Flatts
Devils & Dust – Bruce Springsteen
Ordinary People – John Legend
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own – U2
We Belong Together – Mariah Carey

Prediction: Honestly, it doesn't look like there's much competition here, but I haven't heard any of the songs listed besides "Sometimes" and "We Belong Together." I say U2 takes home the award for Bono's love letter to his father.

BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCAL
Speed of Sound – Coldplay
Best of You – Foo Fighters
Do You Want To – Franz Ferdinand
All These Things That I’ve Done – The Killers
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own – U2

Prediction: "Speed of Sound" is not even one of the top 5 songs from the new Coldplay album and it's almost identical to Clocks. No way it should win. "Best of You?" Ehhhhh.... I didn't even think it was worthy of a Grammy nomination. Haven't heard "Do You Want To." As for "All These Things I've Done:" it's a great song, but there were a bunch that were much better from the album (Mr. Brightside, Smile Like You Mean It). I think U2 has a good shot at this award.

BEST ROCK SONG (Songwriters award)
Best of You – Foo Fighters
Beverly Hills – Weezer
City of Blinding Lights – U2
Devils & Dust – Bruce Springsteen
Speed of Sound – Coldplay

Prediction: See previous award for discussion on "Speed of Sound" and "Best of You." "Beverly Hills" is just downright not that great a song. I haven't heard "Devils and Dust," but from what I've heard, it'll be good competition. COBY just gives me a tingle down my spine everytime I hear it, such a great song. Too bad the most played version of it is the despicable 'Single Version.' I say U2 has the advantage over Bruce here.

BEST ROCK ALBUM
X&Y – Coldplay
In Your Honor – Foo Fighters
A Bigger Bang – The Rolling Stones
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb – U2
Prairie Wind – Neil Young

Prediction: X&Y is a great album, but it seemed like people were very underwhelmed by it. In Your Honor got lots of mixed reviews, I'm not sure how it got nominated. A Bigger Bang is going to be huge competition for HTDAAB, since it marked a big comeback by the Stones. I haven't even heard of Neil Young's album. I say HTDAAB is the underdog to A Bigger Bang, but it still has a chance.

Nice prediction.
I do think Devils & Dust will give U2 a run for their money. Bruce's best lyrics in years. He is going to be quite the contender that night.

I'm rooting for the Boys from Dublin, but if Bruce wins, at least they lose it to someone they respect.

I really hope Mariah gets Shut out. (i can dream can't i?)

Devils & Dust really isn't much of a rock song, but the lyrics are brilliant, as usual from Springsteen.

Therefore, I think U2 will easily win Best Rock Song, but Bruce might beat them for Song Of The Year.

I'm excited about the show! Bruce, U2, .....camera panning the crowd, catching U2 drinking out of water bottles...Bono giving long speeches and Edge updating us on the world of inventions....I can't wait! :drool:

Val said:
I'm excited about the show! Bruce, U2, .....camera panning the crowd, catching U2 drinking out of water bottles...Bono giving long speeches and Edge updating us on the world of inventions....I can't wait! :drool:

And will Larry speak? The world seems to stop when Larry speaks.

As long as Larry talks about the female Orgasmatron, it will be ok.

I think the boys will do well -- the only real competition they should be worried about are Springsteen and Kanye. This just seems like a much better list than most years.

What I find the most interesting is that The Rolling Stones were shut out of the album of the year category, despite the fact that the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. That's gotta hurt, and they should think twice about proclaiming themselves the biggest band in the world. Not according to the Grammys...

Don't rule out McCartney here. When was the last time he won anything? You never know. I think having to wait a year is going to hurt U2 again in terms of freshness. It's hard to deny that Kanye really deserves this thing--he put out an innovative, very listenable album, and most people thought he deserved to win last year over the Ray Charles Duets album (a shameful post-mortem tribute of an award choice).

The only thing a U2 fan can hope for is that the R&B/Hip Hop vote gets split, and that U2 shoots up the middle.

A bit disappointed City of Blinding Lights wasn't on the record of the year list. I'm not surprised Sometimes wasn't, because the "recording" isn't really as impressive as the songwriting.

The pop and rock categories continue to cofound me. The Killers' Mr. Brightside is considered "pop" while All These Things That I've Done is filed under "rock", and with Sometimes, no less! How is Sometimes rock? I don't get it.

I'm just glad Coldplay was finally shut out of the big categories. I doubt they're going to take rock album from U2 because of that fact.

Roland of Gilead said:
Devils & Dust has to be the favored for the fields it places in. It should only loose to a U2 song, but I doubt it will.

i do wonder ... the Grammy's have shown amazing love for U2 since Pop, ATYCLB has 7 Grammys attatched to it.

i adore Bruce, though 3 years ago he got his clock cleaned in most catagories "The Rising" was nominated in by Norah Jones.

or perhaps that means this is his due, time for him to finally win Album of the Year ... yet you'd think the time for that would have been with "The Rising" due to the reunited E Street Band.

i dunno.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i would be shocked if kanye doesn't win album of the year... and frankly, he should.

ditto.

i can't think of a more ingenious, funny, and even insightful song i've heard all year than "Golddigger;" and i can't think of a more thrilling, socially astute song than "Diamonds from Sierra Leone."

and that includes everything from "bomb."

Irvine511 said:

or perhaps that means this is his due, time for him to finally win Album of the Year ... yet you'd think the time for that would have been with "The Rising" due to the reunited E Street Band.

Well, he's not up for Album Of The Year, which he's never won. He seems to do well with Song Of The Year, however. Streets Of Philadelphia took that honor a decade ago.

phanan said:

Well, he's not up for Album Of The Year, which he's never won. He seems to do well with Song Of The Year, however. Streets Of Philadelphia took that honor a decade ago.

whoops, you're right. i meant song of the year.

but the fact that he didn't win Album of the Year with a major, 9-11 influenced album speaks volumes to me about his current appeal.

or maybe the Norah-love was just too much.

Back
Top Bottom