Grammy list here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:

or maybe the Norah-love was just too much.

I think it was the Norah lovefest that was going on. I mean, Springsteen was pretty damn appealing back in 1985, and Born In The U.S.A. lost Album Of The Year to Lionel Ritchie, of all people.

How's that for appealing? :wink:

Best New Artist:

Ciara
Fall Out Boy
Keane
John Legend
SugarLand

that's just simply terrible. Keane and John Legend aren't the worst thing on planet earth, but c'mon.

I want U2 to just win atleast 1 award, preferably over Coldplay

Best Rock Album
or Song of the Year

(the Grammys can be kind of sympathetic, like when Eric Clapton won Album of the Year over Achtung. Don't get me wrong, Unplugged was awesome, but not better than Achtung)

The Arcade Fire's "Cold Wind" is nominated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I freakin love that song!! :sad: :sad:

[oh, and GO U2!!]

Oh GOD!!

The Black Eyed Peas should be punched in the face for taking Jack Johnson's beautiful song "Gone" and using to create an enormous piece of garbage!:mad:

[Go Jack Johnson's "Sitting Waiting Wishing" !!!!]

Y2K said:
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
The Emancipation of Mimi – Mariah Carey
Chaos And Creation in The Backyard – Paul McCartney
Love Angel Music Baby – Gwen Stefani
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb – U2
Late Registration – Kanye West

Prediction: Too much competition for HTDAAB to win. Kanye's album was solid and he became an even bigger star this year, and let's not forget The Emancipation of Mimi, responsible for bringing back the career of Mariah Carey. Remember, this is the same woman that bought out of her contract with her previous studio because they did not think she had any more good albums in her. Mariah's comeback likely wins her the award.

SONG OF THE YEAR (Songwriters award)
Bless The Broken Road – Rascal Flatts
Devils & Dust – Bruce Springsteen
Ordinary People – John Legend
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own – U2
We Belong Together – Mariah Carey

Prediction: Honestly, it doesn't look like there's much competition here, but I haven't heard any of the songs listed besides "Sometimes" and "We Belong Together." I say U2 takes home the award for Bono's love letter to his father.

BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCAL
Speed of Sound – Coldplay
Best of You – Foo Fighters
Do You Want To – Franz Ferdinand
All These Things That I’ve Done – The Killers
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own – U2

Prediction: "Speed of Sound" is not even one of the top 5 songs from the new Coldplay album and it's almost identical to Clocks. No way it should win. "Best of You?" Ehhhhh.... I didn't even think it was worthy of a Grammy nomination. Haven't heard "Do You Want To." As for "All These Things I've Done:" it's a great song, but there were a bunch that were much better from the album (Mr. Brightside, Smile Like You Mean It). I think U2 has a good shot at this award.

BEST ROCK SONG (Songwriters award)
Best of You – Foo Fighters
Beverly Hills – Weezer
City of Blinding Lights – U2
Devils & Dust – Bruce Springsteen
Speed of Sound – Coldplay

Prediction: See previous award for discussion on "Speed of Sound" and "Best of You." "Beverly Hills" is just downright not that great a song. I haven't heard "Devils and Dust," but from what I've heard, it'll be good competition. COBY just gives me a tingle down my spine everytime I hear it, such a great song. Too bad the most played version of it is the despicable 'Single Version.' I say U2 has the advantage over Bruce here.

BEST ROCK ALBUM
X&Y – Coldplay
In Your Honor – Foo Fighters
A Bigger Bang – The Rolling Stones
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb – U2
Prairie Wind – Neil Young

Prediction: X&Y is a great album, but it seemed like people were very underwhelmed by it. In Your Honor got lots of mixed reviews, I'm not sure how it got nominated. A Bigger Bang is going to be huge competition for HTDAAB, since it marked a big comeback by the Stones. I haven't even heard of Neil Young's album. I say HTDAAB is the underdog to A Bigger Bang, but it still has a chance.

When predicting who wins the Grammy awards, its actually more important to consider how the voting blocks will vote or in fact how they will get split up and allow another artist who normally have less votes, win.

U2 has done very well in the nomination process. Only Mariah Carey received nominations in all three of the MAJOR catagories for album, song and record of the year. So U2's voting base is as strong or stronger than anyones going into Grammy night with the exception of Carey.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR:

U2's HTDAAB will win because West, Staffani, and Carey will split the POP/Top 40 vote among themselves. U2 will get a large solid vote from the Rock/Hard Rock/Metal base of the acadamy. If U2 were not to win here, it will be because Paul McCartney was able to drag away enough votes from them to allow Carey to still come out on top. Still, Carey has more problems because of the Staffani, and West nominations than U2 does with McCartney.

So, U2 will take this award.

RECORD OF THE YEAR:

Once again, the POP/Top 40 voters will get split up hear allowing for the lone Rock vote in Green Day to win.

SONG OF THE YEAR:

Carey will win this catagory, because the voting process that probably will split votes in the album catagory enough for U2 to win works against U2 hear with Springsteen being nominated. He'll take more from U2 than McCartney will and Carey does not have to contend with West or Staffani here, so the POP/TOP 40 crowd will come out for her in full force.

BEST ROCK ALBUM:

U2 wins! Rarely if ever does an album that gets nominated for album of the year, not win its own music catagory. It takes a tremondous amount of votes just to get nominated for Album of the Year across the board. Because of that, U2 will win!

ROCK PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP:

Same as above! U2 will win this for the same reason.

ROCK SONG:

Here U2 have "COBL" nominated which did not get nominated for any of the major awards. If there is a chance U2 will lose in the rock catagory, it will be here.

Still, I have to go with U2 here simply because they have such a strong voting base in the acadamy.

One man's predictions:

(not what I want, but what I think)

U2 wins 2. Best Rock Album and Best Performance by a Group or Duo. I think Coldplay will win something -- maybe best rock song. Kanye will win album and while I think U2 has a great shot at Song of the Year (which would be a nice one to get), I bet Springsteen edges them out.

Typical Grammys, rewarding stuff because it's popular rather than good. The LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire nominations are that lists only saving grace.

i hope htdaab wins album of the year...although i dont think it stands much of a chance...i pray to god kanye west doesnt win though..he is the most aggravating man on the planet

^ He also has the most daring, experimental, and acclaimed album of the bunch.

Homer: Oh, why won't anyone give me an award?
Lisa: You won a Grammy.
Homer: I mean an award that's worth winning.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Mr. Simpson's opinions do not reflect those of the producers, who don't consider the Grammy an award at all.

:lmao:

STING2 said:

When predicting who wins the Grammy awards, its actually more important to consider how the voting blocks will vote or in fact how they will get split up and allow another artist who normally have less votes, win.

U2 has done very well in the nomination process. Only Mariah Carey received nominations in all three of the MAJOR catagories for album, song and record of the year. So U2's voting base is as strong or stronger than anyones going into Grammy night with the exception of Carey.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR:

U2's HTDAAB will win because West, Staffani, and Carey will split the POP/Top 40 vote among themselves. U2 will get a large solid vote from the Rock/Hard Rock/Metal base of the acadamy. If U2 were not to win here, it will be because Paul McCartney was able to drag away enough votes from them to allow Carey to still come out on top. Still, Carey has more problems because of the Staffani, and West nominations than U2 does with McCartney.

So, U2 will take this award.

RECORD OF THE YEAR:

Once again, the POP/Top 40 voters will get split up hear allowing for the lone Rock vote in Green Day to win.

SONG OF THE YEAR:

Carey will win this catagory, because the voting process that probably will split votes in the album catagory enough for U2 to win works against U2 hear with Springsteen being nominated. He'll take more from U2 than McCartney will and Carey does not have to contend with West or Staffani here, so the POP/TOP 40 crowd will come out for her in full force.

BEST ROCK ALBUM:

U2 wins! Rarely if ever does an album that gets nominated for album of the year, not win its own music catagory. It takes a tremondous amount of votes just to get nominated for Album of the Year across the board. Because of that, U2 will win!

ROCK PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP:

Same as above! U2 will win this for the same reason.

ROCK SONG:

Here U2 have "COBL" nominated which did not get nominated for any of the major awards. If there is a chance U2 will lose in the rock catagory, it will be here.

Still, I have to go with U2 here simply because they have such a strong voting base in the acadamy.

U2 is not nominated for "Record of the Year."

Ah well, I read the thread title without my glasses. I thought it said "Granny list here." So, um, well, I suppose I have nothing to contribute.:|

BigMacPhisto said:
^ He also has the most daring, experimental, and acclaimed album of the bunch.

The hype surrounding Kanye is ridiculous. He is no different than any of a number of other hip-hoppers. The only thing that separates him is that he doesn't use as much foul language and that he is very openly and outwardly religious in his music.

That and the fact that he's not quite as obnoxious as P.Diddy.

Being openly and outwardly religious in today's rap/hip hop culture IS daring. Maybe not experimental exactly, but it's still against the regular flow of things in music (especially his style of music) right now.

Good for him if he wins something. :up:

Album of the year again?!

That would be cool should they win, winning album of the year more than once, that is pretty rare isn't it?

I'd guess it would be pretty rare.
They of course won for The Joshua Tree which at the time snapped a streak of non-rock albums winning the award.

A lot of people thought ATYCLB would win as well.
I think Kanye will win this year, personally.

I looked it up and Paul Simon won Album of the Year in 75 and 86. Also 1970 with Garfunkel. So he has 3.

Sinatra won in 59, 65, 66. so he has 3 by himself.

Boy, there are some crap albums on this list.
Celine Dion?

Last edited:
rock album winners

2004-Green Day-American Idiot
2003-Foo Fighters-One by One
2002-Bruce Springsteen-The Rising
2001-U2-All That You Can't Leave Behind
2000-Foo Fighters-There Is Nothing Left To Lose

those 5 are pretty good choices but you go back further and you get Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morrisette and John Fogerty. Not that those are terrible artists, but the best "rock" album that year?

the Grammys really are a worthless award

more to this forum's speed.
Alternative album:
Wilco won last year, radiohead won for Kid A, White Stripes for Elephant, Coldplay won back to back for their first two, Beck for Mutations, Beasties, Radiohead again for OKComp, Beck again for Odelay, Nirvana Unplugged, Green Day Dookie, Tom waits, REM-Out of Time, Sinead O'Connor and of course the best award the grammy's have ever given ZOOROPA!

Back
Top Bottom