Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and Kanye West should win Album of the Year. Late Registration as a whole is MILES ahead of HTDAAB.

FAR superior.

namkcuR said:
MJB is ruining the song. Period.

I can't believe they've sung this song with her four? times now. Absurd. :|

This is part of why I'm going off U2 right now.

thelaj said:

Don't know if I agree with that. I doubt they will win 10 for their next two albums. but if they do - excellence

I'm just indicating that it would be easy to do considering the amount of nominations and awards the band have received for the past two albums.

Dear God get that woman out of my song!! I can't stand hearing Bono relegated to backing vocals on a song like One. I think I have to go listen to the studio version now, just to clean out my brain. :(

Axver said:

I can't believe they've sung this song with her four? times now. Absurd. :|

This is part of why I'm going off U2 right now.

I'm surprised this upsets you, seeing as you don't like the song to begin with :wink:

I thought that performance with MJB was awesome...could she have sung from more within her soul? I loved it.

I don't know, I thought that version of One was "unique".. vertigo was a hacked up version, and the audio levels were all wrong as well, but hey at least they played it ... the reason they are playing vertigo this year is because they skipped out on playing vertigo last year (i think because of edge's daughter) and instead played sometimes (which ironically this year is their song)

The major awards annoy me.
Regardless of your personal views, it is not possible to directly compare the merits of albums as different as Bomb and Registration.

trevster2k said:
Jeez, people here are very hard to please tonight, :eyebrow:

Nah, I'm easy to please. If they busted out One Tree Hill, I'd be delighted even if it were only half as good as the Lovetown performances.

Bass Trap would rule. So would Slug.

I think my opinion is completely different than everyone else's. I hated the Hurricane Relief version, but I was actually really impressed with this version. Bono sang the beginning really well and I actually didn't mind MJB much, she was...emoting, lol.

It's too bad Vertigo was so short, but they were probably forced to shorten it to be able to play an additional song at all.

Hey Kanye thanked U2 for bringing them on tour with them, that was nice of him.:applaud:

BTW, Bono has "butchered" a few other artists song in his day too.:wink:

namkcuR said:

I'm surprised this upsets you, seeing as you don't like the song to begin with :wink:

The MJB version makes the Achtung version seem mildly good. :|

miss becky said:
Dear God get that woman out of my song!! I can't stand hearing Bono relegated to backing vocals on a song like One. I think I have to go listen to the studio version now, just to clean out my brain. :(

I agree. Sad to say I think it was supposed to be shared but looks like Bono's voice failed him:(

They looked great and they did good anyway. (Vertigo)

thelaj said:
The major awards annoy me.
Regardless of your personal views, it is not possible to directly compare the merits of albums as different as Bomb and Registration.

Yes it is.

Most of HTDAAB sucked or was just mediocre.

All of Late Registration is fucking brilliant.

The Grammy awards epitomise everything that is wrong with what I laughingly call the 'contemporary' 'music 'scene'.

DaveC said:
Most of HTDAAB sucked or was just mediocre.

All of Late Registration is fucking brilliant.

:lmao:

Late Registration is an offence to music. Utter shit.

i really like the version of "one" on the MJB album.

i love hearing re-interpretation of their songs -- it's hard to do, given that so many of their songs are so idiosyncratic -- it's the mark of a great song, i think.

This is actually one of the rare times, I recognize most of the people on the show, some years, I had no idea who they were nominating for half the awards.

I've only seen the Hurricane Relief version and now this of "One" w/ Mary J. Blige -- I preferred the Hurricane Relief version personally. It's funny I was waiting for Bono to touch Mary J's shoulder at "sisters, brothers..." like he did last time, he was going to but fell short. I'm predicting his every move! :lol:

Mary J started off great, like she normally is, then in the latter part of the song, the crescendo if you want to call it that, she was straining to hit the notes. It sounded pretty bad.

Bono is a rock singer, singing his own song, he wasn't ace tonight but it wasn't terrible.

Overall, slightly embarassing for the both of them.

Not to mention the 90 second version of Vertigo. Which sounded great, but shortening that song is just pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom