Grace one of U2 best songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grace has really grown on me over the years... to the point where I really enjoyed it the other day when I was listening to ATYCLB. When it came out, I was put off by the rhyming but later I came to appreciate the music and some of the lines are pretty nice. "What left a mark no longer stings". :up:

Grace is a beautiful song, I wouldn't say one of the best on ATYCLB because I really love that album, but it is definitely a great song.

i think it is the WORST U2 song ever released! I think i only listened to the full song once or twice and attempted to listen to it countless times but it bore the hell out of me.

just my opinion though

sometimes that song is just what I need, when i feel unworthy or undeserving, attempting to follow God and always falling short. Sometimes that song reminds me of just what I need, just when I need it most. Is it one of their best songs ever??? No, I dont think so. But some days its the best song I've heard in months.

Grace is one that people who don't get ATYCLB won't get, and those who do will.

ATYCLB isn't a musician's album. It's not Radiohead tinkering with electronic drumbeats and chords. It (save for Elevation) is a poet's album.

Grace fits that to a T.

JCOSTER said:
If you really listen to the words....it is really a beautiful song and thought.

Totally agree. I have always liked the song. It's simple, yet profound.

I simply love it when Bono sings: Grace makes beauty out of ugly things.

It's funny - I like its mood, and the very simple reading of it works really well for the song itself. But it does nothing for me.

It's like Peace On Earth for me - I appreciate what they were going for, and it's a nice thought, but it doesn't work for me in its execution.

Utoo said:
Grace is one that people who don't get ATYCLB won't get, and those who do will.

ATYCLB isn't a musician's album. It's not Radiohead tinkering with electronic drumbeats and chords. It (save for Elevation) is a poet's album.

Grace fits that to a T.

I thoroughly disagree. You know I hate ATYCLB and rate it as U2's worst album. I don't know how anybody could listen to it in full. But Grace is fantastic. Its lyrics are nice, it has a subtly strong atmosphere, and Adam's most interesting post-Pop work. To me, it's a bit of a link to the past. Crap like Elevation would never have ended up on UF or JT, but Grace at least has a semblance of atmosphere and would've been a b-side or something.

Love Grace. Underrated IMO, but I can understand why people don't like it...

Although I will admit that Ground Beneath Her Feet does kick it four ways to Sunday...

No. I wish Bono had sung it the way he does "what once was hurt..." verse the whole way instead of speaking it. It's nice musically but too slow, I think Levitate would be a better ATYCLB closer and Grace would fit on MDH soundtrack better.

^I don't agree with that. I think Grace fits perfectly into the theme of the whole album. I don't have Ground beneath her feet on my version and for me it doesn't fit on the album so well. Grace is the better closer.

I think ATYCLB is one of the albums I really listen to without skipping songs (well, sometimes I skip Elevation, because I only enjoy the live version of this song). The album takes me through so many different emotions. Peace on Earth is such a bitter song for me, but with Grace, the album ends on a hopeful, comforting note.

I have a soft spot for it, and do like listening to it, it's part of why attyclub is my third favourite U2 album. Good song, not great, but good.

it's a great song
wouldn't end up in any of mine top U2 songs list but great nonetheless

I do think it might be too subtle in approach for the boom-cha generation

Remarkable how the downright dreary Grace could appear on the same album as the eternally exhillarating Beautiful Day

Grace is a good song, I put it in the middle range of ATYCLB. There's plenty of great songs on that record, B. Day and Kite are incredible, and as I enjoy Elevation and Stuck a lot more as time has gone by.

Axver said:

I thoroughly disagree. You know I hate ATYCLB and rate it as U2's worst album. I don't know how anybody could listen to it in full. But Grace is fantastic.

:sigh: I suppose. But blanket statements are so much easier. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom