Grace one of U2 best songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
It's like Peace On Earth for me - I appreciate what they were going for, and it's a nice thought, but it doesn't work for me in its execution.

This is actually a good summary of how I feel about ATYCLB as a whole. It's the one U2 album that most missed the mark for me.

It's not one of U2's best songs, but it certainly is one of U2's most beautiful and uplifting songs.

This song doesn't have any problem. The problem is in the listener that doesn't have the patience to pay attention to the song and to capture the lyrics feeling after the whole album. Even the rhymes are not as poor as many want to make believe. Just insert that in the context of the song.

"Grace" is great! I like it a lot.

Axver said:

Justifying blanket statements with another blanket statement? :tsk:

:wink:

No one should ever, ever do that.

:wink:

btw----saw PT on Friday. And have a stash of Tim-Tams at home from my Aussie cousin-in-law. It's like I'm living your life! :lol:

... Grace, one of U2's best songs? No, actually it is one of U2's worst songs. The (thankfully) never played live tune, that has to be the quiet closer to an album, that was produced in a cruel way – too flat, too meaningless. Not a classic, not at all ...

Grace isn't one of my all-time favorites, or even one of my favorites from ATYCLB, but I never understood why people despised it so much. It's still a good song imo.

Well, to answer your post – it is just a matter of taste. There are songs, you like, because of melody, instrumentation, lyrics, Bono's way of singing etc. and then there are tune, you don't feel related to, where you can't connect at all, where you are not touched the way you get touched by other songs. "Grace" has always left me kind of "hm, and now?" I don't like it, but as I said: a matter of taste. There's no need for you to "understand" – it's impossible, because we talk about feelings ...

Oh well, of course it's a matter of taste. It's just that so many people dislike it, and I don't uh, "understand" it. I know, bad word choice :p Perhaps it's better just to say I disagree with them.

Utoo said:
btw----saw PT on Friday. And have a stash of Tim-Tams at home from my Aussie cousin-in-law. It's like I'm living your life! :lol:

... I hate you. Give me my life back! :madspit:

I think it's an awesome song with a lot a spiritual meaning. However, a lot of people (when listening to the lyrics may not pick up on this) and therefore, do not consider it one of their better songs. Me, I think it's a powerful song. Course, I haven't heard ONE U2 song that I haven't liked....So, I'm probably in the minority there. (Needless to say, I don't interpret "Grace" as a song about a girl named Grace......

Last edited:
its a song that grows on you its not instant. But is nice. I admire them for making such an interesting off beat song on what is beleived to be a safe album.

I think the guitar part is beautiful and the bass compliments it very well. Also when Bono sings the line - "and when she goes to work you can hear the stings'' i get goosebumps has he ever executed a line better, great tone, retrained power, very delicate

i always liked GRACE. :up:
its the perfect closer for ATYCLB. imo together with IALW the best track on that album and one of the better songs of the post 2000 U2 era. thats my true opinion. its not ironic and i'm not joking.

Utoo said:

OMG Tim Tams... :drool: :drool:

Best Australian chocolate biscuit ever. Hell, best chocolate biscuit ever.

And yeah, Grace, I think it's a nice way to end the album, kinda slow and relaxing... almost UF-like.

Back
Top Bottom