Good songs by crap artists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I may have found a topic that people will reply to.

You know the deal. An otherwise pretty pathetic artist comes up with a fantastic song... then goes back to being crap.

Of course, with these kind of things it is all very objective... one man's Pop being another's Rattle and Hum and all that.

So any offers?

Hmmm...I can't think of any offhand...*interested to see what others come up with*

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:

Of course, with these kind of things it is all very objective... one man's Pop being another's Rattle and Hum and all that.

This is a very cryptic and interesting remark
biggrin.gif

I have a liking for the Independent Women song by Destiny's Child, but I'm not sure I actually think it's a "good song." Funny, I can't think of anything else right now. Surely I will be able to later.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

I couldn't think of any either haha

Actually I could think of one, but its more European based.

Norwegian group Aqua were/are pretty desperate. They did Barbie Girl, which was unremitting rubbish.

But then they did Turn Back Time, which was really good!!

Savage Garden weren't much cop, but I liked that one about flying to the moon and back. No doubt someone can fill me in with a title there.

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
Norwegian group Aqua were/are pretty desperate. They did Barbie Girl, which was unremitting rubbish..

They are actually Danish.

How about U2?

I mean, really...have these guys done any good since Red Light?

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I take some exception to the Savage Garden comment. Their debut album is one of my favorites. It sits right beside my Radiohead, REM, and U2 albums. It's a really tight album, especially the second half. Affirmation (the second album) was much more poppy, mainstream, but the debut album was a fine pop/rock effort.

but really, is there such a thing ? something to ponder

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks M.P.]

How about crap songs by good artists?

E-L-E-V-A-T-I-O-N

There is no such thing as a crap artist. Anyone with enough inspiration and talent to be an artist is not crap. There are only crap songs out there - not artists.

------------------
Dream out loud.

Originally posted by Dustybot:
I take some exception to the Savage Garden comment. Their debut album is one of my favorites. It sits right beside my Radiohead, REM, and U2 albums. It's a really tight album, especially the second half. Affirmation (the second album) was much more poppy, mainstream, but the debut album was a fine pop/rock effort.

I agree. Savage Garden used to be my absolute favorite band before I discovered U2. Actually, the only reason I bought anything by U2 was because the singer of SG loved them. Their first album is fantastic! It's one of my favorite albums ever. The songs they released as singles from it tended to be the more poppy ones, but if you haven't heard the other songs from that album I really would recommend it! There are some real gems on there. Their second album is more poppy, as Dustybot said, but I still love it. It annoys me how people often think of all pop music as being crap. There is a lot of manufactured junk that gives it a bad name, but there is still some great pop music out there - Savage Garden for starters.

The reason SG split up so soon was because Daniel Jones, the guitarist, found he really didn't like being famous basically. It's a shame, because they were a really great band
frown.gif

If anyone wants to hear an amazing song by Savage Garden, download "Mine". It's one of their b-sides and it's fantastic! Other great SG songs that I'd recommend downloading are "Carry on Dancing", "Violet", "Two beds and a coffee machine"...there are lots more but I can't be bothered to list them.

'Only You' - Jennifer Paige was a good pop song, I thought.

'I Want You' - Savage Garden... personally, I think their songs went downhill after this first single. Musically, this one really stood out cos it truly rocks and has an edge to it; it sounded different at the time. That's why I feel like it was misleading to release this song as single, cos i bought the album based on it and found out that the other songs were in a different vein. Lyrically, though, their debut album was pretty good.

foray

Back
Top Bottom