Good God Pop Is Brilliant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Ok, so I took the title from the AB thread :wink: It's perhaps the most misunderstood record in the U2 catalog, and it can be a bit difficult to get into, but once you do get into it....OH MY GOD. It is a massive, dense, druglike record, and althought it perhaps wasn't completely 'finished', if you put in the single mixes of If God, Last Night, and Please, the record seems plenty finished(the new mixes are a different story...I'll get there later), and is quite simply a top candidate for Best U2 Record.

Discotheque - Despite what people say, I think this is a great opener. The riff is killer(I think better than Vertigo's), and the second part of the chorus(lookin' for the one etc) along with the instrumental bridge are brilliant, and it's impossible not to sing along with the verses.

Do You Feel Loved - The lyrics are dirty, somewhat erotic, and topped with a tinge of cynisism. The riffs are a bit distorted but totally delectable. Bono vocal delivery makes the lyrics hit their mark, and his partially-falsetto 'Do You Feel Loved's at the end are haunting.

Mofo - Some hear noise, some hear sheer brilliance. Although Bono admits taking a few lines of lyrics from other poets, he has mixed them with his own to make a profoundly introspective confessional in the most unlikely of soundscapes - a brilliant one of techno beats, thumping-with-andrenaline basslines, and shrieking guitars - for such a song.

If God Will Send His Angels(Single) - Some describe this song as 'coming down' after the high of Mofo. I just think of it as an absolutely brilliant Pop song. I listen to the single version because I think the buildup is better, and the vocal outro is to die for. Giving up the album version's instrumental outro is simply a compromise. I love everything about this song. The lyrics(god's got his phone of the hook babe/would he even pick up if he could, and the cartoon network turns into the news, where do we go, etc), the vocal performance, the minimalist yet totally effective guitar, the minimalist yet totally effective bassline, all of it. I love it.

Staring At The Sun - Another killer electric guitar riff, great political lyrics with a bite, one of the catchiest choruses on the record. This song deserved to be a more bonofied and recognized U2 radio/live classic alongside Still Haven't Found, Mysterious Ways, etc. The new mix has Edge's backing vocals and a really quite drool-inducing organ in back of the second verse, but I can't give up the riff unless it's for the live acoustic versions.

Last Night On Earth(Single) - Probably the closest thing to a straight-ahead rocker on the record, and a great one at that. The lyrics are simple yet ambigious, the story of woman who is bent on destroying herself. I love Bono and Edge's dual vocals in the chorus - as usual they compliment each other well - the chorus is killer live. The bridge is great in either version of the song, though in the end I think I prefer the single version's bridge because it's more dynamic.

Gone - The one song most us can agree on. It is brilliant. Stands alongside Mofo and Acrobat as one of the most introspective songs Bono has ever penned. I prefer the original mix to the new mix. The new mix has Edge's 'down's from the live versions, and that is a tough thing to turn down, but the new mix also robbed the song of the sirens - the chilling, haunting sirens - and replaced them with more traditional guitars and more upfront keyboard. Edge's hauntingly beautiful backing harmonic vocals about 2/3 of the way in are barely audible in the new mix. Bono has said that a spirit was in the room with him(or something like that) when he layed down the vocal for the original mix, and it certainly sounds like it. That vocal performance mixed with the nonstop sirens(quite possibly the fucking greatest sound ever recorded) combined with great, great lyrics make this song a bonafide classic(although I think most of the songs on this record are classics).

Miami - Much maligned. This song is all atmosphere, ALL ambiance. Stop looking for hooks and stop looking for catchiness. Just drown in Edge's guitar, alternating between a monster riff and minimalist ambiatic tones after the chorus and at points, during the verses. Embrace the 'duh duh, duh duh duh duh duh's after the chorus. Hell, that's catchy right there. It's just not sugar-coated. Love it.

The Playboy Mansion - I think this is basically U2/Bono's take on celebrity from a certain angle - that's what 90s U2 as about to a large extent, right? Being aware of their own celebrity and what it means? There are some GREAT melodies in this song. The middle 8 - I don't know if I can hold on - and the outro - then will there be no time for sorrow, then will there be no time for shame - come to mind. It's a well-written and underrated song that can be this catchy without having a lyrically constant chorus. The lyrics in the chorus change after every verse and this prevents the song from getting too repetative, and allows the attention to fall easily on the melodies instead of waiting for a big chorus. This is a beautiful song, and it segues brilliantly into what's next.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Sexy. That's the word that comes to mind. This is possibly the most subtle, understated vocal performance Bono has ever put on record. There is one hook that is repeated only a few times, used very sparsely in the song, and Bono's quit singing rises soulfully to create that hook in the few times it comes about. Edge is as much a star as Bono here. His almost echo-like backing vocal in the chorus is chilling, and his solo, which is pretty much the middle 8, is hauntingly gorgeous and adds volumes to the atmosphere and ambiance of the song. It takes a special band that can produce both a song like this and a song like SATS on the same record.

Please(Single) - One of the top 5 U2 songs ever. I go back and forth with the album and single versions but in the end it just has to be the single version. The whole song builds up that solo and as such, the solo kicks it into another gear. The use of minimalistic instrumentation(until the solo at least) is so good - from the bassline to the few guitar notes in the chorus to the steady, firm but oddly subtle beat throughout the song - that it perplexes me why they wouldn't keep exploring that route of making music. The lyrics are brilliant. They took a simple 'you never' structure and used it to its absolute max potential. The 'love is big/bigger than us/but love is not/what you're thinking of' line could be the basis of a doctoral thesis. And yes, the middle 8 lyrics are eeirly prophetic of 9/11 even though they were written about something else - most likely political troubles in Ireland. Any way you slice it, a truely brilliant rock song, which is also basis for some U2's best ever live performances.

Wake Up Dead Man - Bono does such a freakishly good job of portraying hopelessness and despair with his voice in this song. The lyrics are biting, and probably not appreciated by certain people since it's basically painting pictures of situations and saying 'If Jesus exists, why is this shit happening?'. But I think they are tremendous. This is a haunting, and at times, cold, song. I'm still waiting for a full-band live rendition.

There you have it. This record is a WORK OF ART and is an accurate display of what U2 are capable of - which is to create world with the music on a record and describe that world you're hearing - the one they created - through the lyrics. They've done that with many of their records. AB was a world of failed relationships. JT was a world of hope in the face of not yet finding what you're looking for. War was a wartorn world full of people in despair. Boy was a world that was wide open in the naive eyes of a child. And Pop is a world of lost faith and bitterness. That's what the record is about. Despite that dark description, the record is still colorful, the images it puts in your head use all the colors in the rainbow and then some. The ability to to both - portray lost faith while using all those colors - is what makes this record so special to me. This is all my opinion of course.

As the years go by, I like Pop more and more, and like the newer records less and less. And that is my opinion, of course. :)

:applaud:

Pop was my first new U2 album experience after becoming a fan (I discovered U2 in 1995). I was 15 at the time. I think I drove the local music store nuts because I kept calling on the payphone between classes to make sure that copies were still there. I was so paranoid! :laugh:

Pop is my eleventh favourite album. :wink:

It sure does have its moments of brilliance, especially Mofo, Last Night On Earth, Gone, and Wake Up Dead Man. The album was SO much better live, though - I don't really enjoy Please and especially Discotheque on the album, but live, they were astonishing. Popmart Sarajevo's performance of Please is one of the greatest things you will ever hear.

Axver said:

It sure does have its moments of brilliance, especially Mofo, Last Night On Earth, Gone, and Wake Up Dead Man. The album was SO much better live, though - I don't really enjoy Please and especially Discotheque on the album, but live, they were astonishing. Popmart Sarajevo's performance of Please is one of the greatest things you will ever hear.

I hear ya (well not literally ;)), I find it hard to go back to the album after hearing live versions. I've got live versions of "Discotheque", "Velvet Dress," and "Please." Then I have the Popmart video.

"It's all about the bass." (okay Bono was referring to another song, but it fits this album quite nicely).

"Live is where we live" says Larry. Live is where they really shine!

I only rank War, JT, AB, October, Boy & Atomic Bomb, everything else is listened to according to how I feel.

Last edited:
Pop is number 11 in my books, some really great moments, please,WUDM,IGWSHA,Discotheque,Gone. overall great album

I :heart: Pop. It's in my top 5 albums. Gone is one of the best songs of all time. I think the album's low point is Playboy Mansion, but everything else is simply amazing. I remember when I first listened to it, I was a little disappointed it didn't sound much like Achtung Baby/Zooropa. By the end of that day, however, I realized how stupid it was to think like that, and I was already loving Pop for what it was -- a brilliant album with a silly title. :)

My 7th favourite U2 album but I still love it... and yeah I love ATYCLB almost equally.

My favourites?

Gone... no doubt about it, awesome song
Last Night on Earth, great rocker

and...
...The Playboy Mansion... the most underrated U2 song

miss becky said:
I :heart: Pop. It's in my top 5 albums. Gone is one of the best songs of all time. I think the album's low point is Playboy Mansion, but everything else is simply amazing. I remember when I first listened to it, I was a little disappointed it didn't sound much like Achtung Baby/Zooropa. By the end of that day, however, I realized how stupid it was to think like that, and I was already loving Pop for what it was -- a brilliant album with a silly title. :)

yeah, I only started loving tottaly the album when I got over the title. It has nothing of pop I think, it's an ironic title. Most U2 albums are much more pop than PoP.

I agree with most of it, I really appreciate Pop.

However, I think you 'fail' to mention Claytons and Mullens contribution to the album. Yes, there are some of B's best lyrics and Edge's is on fire, but listen to the rythm section!

Imho Pop has some of Adams best baselines combined with some great drumming from Larry, I think they improved immensly from Zooropa to Pop.

U2 have 5 GREAT albums: (in random order)

Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
POP
The Unforgettable Fire
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

My favorite U2 album is whichever one of those I have heard most recently.

namkcuR--you and your Pop-lovin'!

I'll say that it's one of my lesser favorites, although I don't think it's bad at all. And I'm liking it more and more as time goes on. Still, can't hold a candle to my other faves.

Niceman said:
My favorite U2 album is whichever one of those I have heard most recently.

And this is so often true!
:wink:

Axver said:

I agree that the live performances were better for the most part, but it does seem like you are also saying the studio versions are so far below the live versions that they're not worth listening to - correct me if I'm wrong. If God and DYFL's life renditions were clearly not better than the studio version's. The album version of Please would be disappointing after hearing the live versions(which are the best, agreed), but the single version is quite beautiful in and of itself. I think Discotheque, Mofo, and Gone all have improvements on stage but also have stuff from the studio versions omitted for the stage. I think the sirens are gone from live Gone. The spacey instrumental bridge in the studio version of Discotheque is, I believe, absent live. And while the live version of Mofo is more 'rock' as well as having the 'move me a mountain' line, there is nothing wrong with the studio version.

Anyway, I'm rambling on about nothing. The live versions of the Pop songs during Popmart were mindblowing, agreed. But I think the studio versions were, too.

namkcuR said:

I agree that the live performances were better for the most part, but it does seem like you are also saying the studio versions are so far below the live versions that they're not worth listening to - correct me if I'm wrong. If God and DYFL's life renditions were clearly not better than the studio version's. The album version of Please would be disappointing after hearing the live versions(which are the best, agreed), but the single version is quite beautiful in and of itself. I think Discotheque, Mofo, and Gone all have improvements on stage but also have stuff from the studio versions omitted for the stage. I think the sirens are gone from live Gone. The spacey instrumental bridge in the studio version of Discotheque is, I believe, absent live. And while the live version of Mofo is more 'rock' as well as having the 'move me a mountain' line, there is nothing wrong with the studio version.

Anyway, I'm rambling on about nothing. The live versions of the Pop songs during Popmart were mindblowing, agreed. But I think the studio versions were, too.

I honestly don't really notice much difference between DYFL studio and album and think it was cut a little prematurely, but you're spot on about IGWSHA. Talk about a live disaster. I wish SATS full band had worked too - I even like the performances where it all falls apart just because Edge's guitar is still gorgeous. That aside, I think Pop was an exceptional live album and spawned one of U2's best show openers in Mofo. COBL excluded, I think that's the best opener U2 have used since Hawkmoon/God Part II/Streets/Bullet on the Lovetown Tour. And songs like LNOE, Gone, and Miami simply went off - how about the transitions into UTEOTW and Bullet! I do wish the studio Discotheque resembled the live version more in how heavy and rocking it was at the end, and I particularly love the live versions where Bono sings the lines from the Howie B Hairy B Mix.

OK, so I'm rambling too. Gone is the song that converted me to U2, I think Wake Up Dead Man is one of the greatest examples of Bono's lyrics ever, and Pop translated so well live - and for me, the live area is where it's at. :drool:

Firstly, i hated it and i couldn't understand it, but then it hit me!!
Which is riff in Discoteque?
How does bass riff go in MOFO?
Perfect drumming in Gone!
No solo in Please, still a great, exceptional song!
Wake up dead man?WTF???

I have four words for it:
POP IS FUCKING GREAT AND FUCKING ROCKS TO THE BONE!!!
(that's like 10 words, but hey, no words can be enough to express how i feel about it and how great it is)

Axver said:

I honestly don't really notice much difference between DYFL studio and album and think it was cut a little prematurely, but you're spot on about IGWSHA. Talk about a live disaster. I wish SATS full band had worked too - I even like the performances where it all falls apart just because Edge's guitar is still gorgeous. That aside, I think Pop was an exceptional live album and spawned one of U2's best show openers in Mofo. COBL excluded, I think that's the best opener U2 have used since Hawkmoon/God Part II/Streets/Bullet on the Lovetown Tour. And songs like LNOE, Gone, and Miami simply went off - how about the transitions into UTEOTW and Bullet! I do wish the studio Discotheque resembled the live version more in how heavy and rocking it was at the end, and I particularly love the live versions where Bono sings the lines from the Howie B Hairy B Mix.

OK, so I'm rambling too. Gone is the song that converted me to U2, I think Wake Up Dead Man is one of the greatest examples of Bono's lyrics ever, and Pop translated so well live - and for me, the live area is where it's at. :drool:

Just one question: Do you not miss the sirens when Gone is played live?

Oh, and I think the new mix of Discotheque is closer to the live versions if that interests you.

namkcuR said:

Just one question: Do you not miss the sirens when Gone is played live?

Oh, and I think the new mix of Discotheque is closer to the live versions if that interests you.

Nope. My favourite Gone is the Elevation version, closely followed by the New Mix as I love the guitar emphasis.

Discotheque on the Best Of doesn't do much for me as it lacks the boom-cha and it doesn't have the absolutely grinding, insane guitar at the end of the live versions.

namkcur started a Pop thread??? What a shock! :wink:

I don't feel like rambling on and on but this is a gem of an album, my 3rd favorite and sometimes even 2nd above JT. I never get tired of listening to these songs either... unlike say, the Streets-I Still-WOWY trilogy, Pride or SBS. It sounds fresh and exciting every single time!

Axver said:

Nope. My favourite Gone is the Elevation version, closely followed by the New Mix as I love the guitar emphasis.

Discotheque on the Best Of doesn't do much for me as it lacks the boom-cha and it doesn't have the absolutely grinding, insane guitar at the end of the live versions.

You don't know what you're missing. The Gone sirens blow the mind...BLOW the MIND I tells ya! :wink:

Oh... and I credit at least 50% of Gone's brilliance to those amazing sirens! Love 'em!!!

U2, please start creating some novel music again!

I don't know what to think about POP really. I guess the biggest problem is that it only works for me about 10% of the time. Most of the time I'm just not in the mood for the album so when I try to listen to it, it just sounds....wrong.

That 10% of the time though, this album really can blow my mind. I can't say I'd like U2 to record another album like it though.

My ideal next album will have songs like COBL, Mercy, Fast Cars, Love and Peave, and to an extent Miracle Drug. But, the album as a whole needs a more cohesive production. I'm not implying that the song-specific production on Bomb is bad, on the contrary I feel most of the songs on that album are produced fairly well. But the problem is that there are just so many producers that each song has a different "sound" than the others. Bring in a new producer for the next album, and let him/her do the entire album. I'll be happy.

Well, that got off topic. But yeah, POP. When I like it, I LOOOOVE it. When I'm not into it, I could live without it. :shrug:

Discotheque - just such an ace song, even better live. one of the first U2 songs i ever heard as well, loved it back then and i still love it now
DYFL - good song, love claytons bass in it, not too impressed with it live though
Mofo - great song! SO different from anything they had done before.
IGWSHA - nice laid back song, love the single mix, esp the outro
SATS - good song, strange choice for a single i think though, really like it played acoustically
LNOE - great rocker, awesome live, the boys need to bring this one back!
Gone - great song although i do prefer the 'Best of' version, sounds more complete
Miami - strange song this, sounds better live but i still feel it lets the album down slightly
The Playboy Mansion - another strange song, it's ok, nothing more than that though
Velvet Dress - beautiful, sexy, haunting, dark, just a fabulous song. 100 times better than the jools holland version, bono's delivery of this song is so different and dark, probably my fave song on the album
Please - great political song, awesome lyrics, the segue of this song into 'streets' on popmart should be the stuff of legends
WUDM - really heartfelt and passionate song, very raw, i like it. a dark end to a good album.

probably about 6 in my album rankings i think, that could change at any time though. very underrated album, it's not AB/JT quality but it spawned some of the very best songs U2 has ever done live and for that i thank it (god i'm starting to sound like macphisto there!)

Back
Top Bottom