Gone to Miami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Was listening to Pop on the way back from work. I turned the bass wayyy up and blasted these 2 songs, Gone followed by Miami... I would've fucking crashed the car, that's how high I got from what I think is the highest of heights that U2's genius ever reached in their 25+ long career! Seriously, Is there anything more mind-blowing than listening to the sirens of Gone followed by the chugging car chase of Miami??? Is there??? :wink:

This is a celebration of Gone...Miami. If you like only Gone, don't post here. ;)

Favorite moments
1. After 'Didn't want it that much anyway..', the siren tone that starts in the background for 'You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy'.... :drool:

2. After 'And it's emotional.. good night', the rush of music and drums, guitar.. sirens wailing.. 'I'll be upppp with the suuunnn!!!'.... :drool:

3. The ending: Gone... sun... time... sun................. :faint:

4. Miami opening: the distant chugging fading in... the beat, the bass kicking in... like a train rolling in... :drool:

5. After 'here comes car chase', that screaming guitar.... I swear if I'm on a fast moving highway in my Mazda and that part comes on, the high that I get makes me want to put my foot on the gas and floor it!!! :drool:

6. Soon afterwards is the awesome 'When The Levee Breaks'-like breakdown! :drool:

7. Ending ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba's.... as it chugs away and fades out

Exciting used to be their middle name!

:faint:

:drool: to this combo, :drool: to this thread, and :drool: to Zooty for putting the lemon stamp of approval i always use on it

I liked this thread until the last line...not that I disagree with it, but I'd hate to see another thread go the same way. :sad:

anyway, yeah I pretty much agree with you. my fav parts are the "goodbye, no emotional goodnight" part of gone, at the bridge, and i like hearing bono talking about getting hot in a photobooth. just shows how far he's come lyrically since the days of running to stand still. :wink:

that's actually not a dig at miami, lol...

VertigoGal said:
I liked this thread until the last line...not that I disagree with it, but I'd hate to see another thread go the same way. :sad:

Trust me. I don't want that to happen either! Sure, I can accept that they're in their 40s now and find it harder maybe to be as exciting as they were before. :wink:

:up: to imp's lemon stamp of approval! :lol:

I think a lot of the Miami detractors are focusing on the lyrics, which I agree aren't a high point for Bono, but as an overall song....fuck. It's great.
As for Gone - everyone knows how great it is. Incredible. Album>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Best Of.

That's a guitar, not a siren, but still, I never thought I would like Miami. Then I heard it live. Now I hear it differently every time I listen to it.

Earnie Shavers said:
I think a lot of the Miami detractors are focusing on the lyrics

Exactly! Why would you focus on lyrics in a song like Miami where the main thing that stands out and hits you in the face is the amazing offbeat bass synchronized with the drums or whatever the hell it is! :drool:

the tourist said:
That's a guitar, not a siren

yeah I know. I'm not sure of the technicalities of how the Edge made his guitar sound like a siren!!! how he created those sounds! Can any guitar players enlighten us, please? :wink:

Zootlesque said:

yeah I know. I'm not sure of the technicalities of how the Edge made his guitar sound like a siren!!! how he created those sounds! Can any guitar players enlighten us, please? :wink:

Distortion, delay, and a digitech whammy pedal (it's sort of like a gas or break pedal on a car in the more you press down, the more change there is -- though I'm not sure Edge uses that exact pedal, I do and can get a very close sound) which allows the player to shift the initial note he's playing up or down 1 to 2 octaves.

Honestly I think I like Miami better than Gone. Gone's too heavy for me

I just love Bono's voice throughout Miami. It's got that laidback couldn't give a stuff vibe. Love the 'ba ba ba's' too! Miami gets too much bagging. It is one of my favourites from Pop

VertigoGal said:
... i like hearing bono talking about getting hot in a photobooth.

I like the fact that one can interpret that line in many different ways. :sexywink:

Zootlesque said:

Noone can exactly tell you how were all that sounds on Pop made. Only The Edge knows.
All those effects are why Staring at the sun failed live, Mofo was different, Gone was different, Discoteque wasn't whole, Do you feel loved failed...

Still, I LOVE POP AND ALL OF THOSE EFFECTS.

I love Gone and Miami....
I didn't like Miami at first but it totally grew on me... It is such an innovative song!!!
Gone is just plain beautiful...."Your takin steps that make you feel dizzy and you learn to like the way it feels":drool:

4. Miami opening: the distant chugging fading in... the beat, the bass kicking in... like a train rolling in... :drool:

5. After 'here comes car chase', that screaming guitar.... I swear if I'm on a fast moving highway in my Mazda and that part comes on, the high that I get makes me want to put my foot on the gas and floor it!!! :drool:
[/B]

Miami is an outstanding song. The imagery is among U2's best on this song. The distant chugging at the opening are like waves splashing intermittently on the shore. It perfectly starts the song off in that langourous Miami atmoshpere.

Your point 5 is the best part of the song. It's when the protaganist gives in to the artificial 'allure' of Miami. He takes the top off his convertible, puts his sunglasses and bahamma shirt on and cruises in classic "Miami Vice" style. What's brilliant about this imagery is how aware of itself it is. It's like the protaganist knows how it looks to act in that Don Johnson sort of way and U2 adds that ironic humor to the moment. Excellent stuff.

Re: Re: Gone to Miami

Layton said:

He takes the top off his convertible, puts his sunglasses and bahamma shirt on and cruises in classic "Miami Vice" style. What's brilliant about this imagery is how aware of itself it is. It's like the protaganist knows how it looks to act in that Don Johnson sort of way and U2 adds that ironic humor to the moment. Excellent stuff.

:applaud:

I've always pictured it though, like a movie scene involving the lead character running away from the mafia or something like that. So you got car chases galore with gangsters shooting out of their car windows at each other. High speed highway shootout! I think that's quite apt for the song. Too bad they never made a video!

:lol:

i've never heard the word stonking. what does it mean? maybe it's on urbandictionary.com :hmm:

edit: from urbandictionary

stonking
1. massive, huge, painful
2. (UK) very sexually attractive (usually of girl)
3. Fantastic!
4. British colloquial: Impressive, wonderful

what a helpful site...it's taught me a lot of things ( and i do mean a lot...)

Last edited:
VertigoGal said:
i like hearing bono talking about getting hot in a photobooth. just shows how far he's come lyrically since the days of running to stand still. :wink:

yeah that's so hot :drool: i want to get hot with bono in a photobooth, right now.

urbandictionary.com rules. I submitted a few words there.

I love Gone to Miami. Miami is probably the most unfairly underrated U2 song ever. the whole thing just screams badass. yes, even the My Mammy. The song is fucking genius; get over it.
And of course Gone is classic.

Favourite parts:

1. The beginning of Gone. Even though when I was a kid I didn't like the first 2 seconds of it so I skipped the song. Needless to say when I actually DID listen to it I was like, WHOA, THIS IS TIGHT.

2. Bridge of Gone..."you're taking steps..." all the way to "no emotional goodniiiiight..." and back to the chorus...perfection

3. The end, with Bono's falsetto and Edge's crazy siren guitar. Brilliant on Pop, even better live on Elevation...the band just goes crazy at the end live :drool:

4. When that crazy-awesome guitar riff kicks in for the first time during Miami. again, it's even better live, but it's also perfect on Pop. I have to say that even though almost every song improved live, Pop is probably their best studio album. I wouldn't change a note of it.

5. the "gettin hot in a photobooth" line. cuz that's just hot. and the way it continues on, and then Bono screams "MIAMI!!!!" bad. ass.

6. The very end of Miami, with the bah bah bah bah bah bah's, there's one time Bono does them and it sounds so cute :cute:

Indian guys are t3h hawt.

Zootlesque said:

:eek: ........................................ :sexywink:

Okay, I admit I love the eek smiley! :wink:

the eek smilie scares me :reject: I like :eeklaugh: though.

however the best smilie is clearly...

MOOOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :rockon:

this thread is full of awesomeness. gone + miami are the two best tracks off pop (which is pretty great itself)

Back
Top Bottom