Gone: Pop or 90-00 Best Of ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:
8-7 in favor of Best Of so far.

Something needs explaining.

There are certain atmospherics in the Pop version that are gone(pun intended) in the Best Of version. The Pop version works in the mindset of creating a musical landscape, a world to explore with your headphones. The Best Of version attempted to make it more like the live versions(which, whether intended or not, makes it more 'rock to it' friendly, even though I find the Pop version very rockable). If it had worked, it may have been brilliant. But, unfortunately, the song became to cluttered and the result was that the atmospherics got lost behind the now more upfront keyboards(they were ALWAYS there, people) and the more abrasive, in-the-front vocal track. Edge's 'down' in the chorus could have been the biggest improvement, they didn't need to change anything else. But even with this, it's totally absent on the first chorus, and nearly drowned out by the overly-loud guitar in the last chorus. Another example of the atmospherics being sacerficed for the cause of putting other things upfront. This is why the Pop version is better.

Well, I respect your opinion, but I disagree. The Best Of version is atmospheric in its own way. Having the keyboard upfront works better as it leads into the chorus - the guitars come crashing in with much more force. It totally rocks - maybe that was the point, but it works very well.

And I don't find the vocal abrasive at all. I think it's much more stronger than the original, and when you combine that with how powerful the chorus works, it all comes together beautifully.

I love them both, and I don't believe changing songs is always ruining them, either. There's good and bad in both! The Best of sounds harder to me, but the Pop version is brilliant. And I love live versions.

phanan said:

Well, I respect your opinion, but I disagree. The Best Of version is atmospheric in its own way. Having the keyboard upfront works better as it leads into the chorus - the guitars come crashing in with much more force. It totally rocks - maybe that was the point, but it works very well.

And I don't find the vocal abrasive at all. I think it's much more stronger than the original, and when you combine that with how powerful the chorus works, it all comes together beautifully.

No, we disagree completely then.

In the Best Of Version, too much guitar in the chorus, and I prefer the siren that was there in the Pop version. And the vocal on the Best Of version sounds like a cleaned up live recording. There is more studio technique on the Pop version's vocal.

There are bits and pieces in the Best Of Version that are improvements, but overall the Pop version is much better.

I'll be awkward I prefered the Popmart version of Discotheque and the Elevation version of Gone.
If I actually adhere to the topic though I think that the 1990-2000 Gone is an improvement (although I do like the 'nakedness' of the Pop version) whereas the 1990-2000 Discotheque is not, if the ending was a lot better then maybe but it's not.

I know Discotheque is another matter entirely but I agree that Pop versh is better - the 'boom cha's make it what it is! :D

tarquinsuperb said:
I'll be awkward I prefered the Popmart version of Discotheque and the Elevation version of Gone.
If I actually adhere to the topic though I think that the 1990-2000 Gone is an improvement (although I do like the 'nakedness' of the Pop version) whereas the 1990-2000 Discotheque is not, if the ending was a lot better then maybe but it's not.

Elevation Gone > Popmart Gone

it had more intensity live, somehow

Exit thru Wire said:
Best of versions for both gone and discotheque

:yes:

I also liked more guitars and more prominent Bono/Larry (even Edge) vocals on Numb.

I think I'm the only person on the board who prefers the Best Of 1990-2000 version.

:reject:

Zootlesque said:

Wow... come to think of it, 'suit of lies' IS a more appropriate lyric. Never thought of it that way.

:happy: *Goes off to write a letter to Bono to tell him how he should be writing songs* :wink:

namkcuR said:
8-7 in favor of Best Of so far.

Something needs explaining.

There are certain atmospherics in the Pop version that are gone(pun intended) in the Best Of version. The Pop version works in the mindset of creating a musical landscape, a world to explore with your headphones. The Best Of version attempted to make it more like the live versions(which, whether intended or not, makes it more 'rock to it' friendly, even though I find the Pop version very rockable). If it had worked, it may have been brilliant. But, unfortunately, the song became to cluttered and the result was that the atmospherics got lost behind the now more upfront keyboards(they were ALWAYS there, people) and the more abrasive, in-the-front vocal track. Edge's 'down' in the chorus could have been the biggest improvement, they didn't need to change anything else. But even with this, it's totally absent on the first chorus, and nearly drowned out by the overly-loud guitar in the last chorus. Another example of the atmospherics being sacerficed for the cause of putting other things upfront. This is why the Pop version is better.

Agreed! I like Edge's keyboard-play on the Best of version but the atmospherics from the Pop version are completely lost. Also no one can deny that the siren-guitar sounds much better on the Pop version. Great post :up:

Pop is a fucking brilliant album!
All the talk of re-recording it as they didnt have enough time to finish it first time around is bullshit! ( i will try and stop swearing now) .
Gone was perfect on pop. The only thing i will concede is that i do like the intro on the best of.
POP=10/10

I've gotta go with the Pop version. That searing, dentist-drill ebow guitar line is indispensable and one of my favorite Edge moments, but they buried it under rhythm strumming and a lesser riff on the best of. For all the talk about the "aggression" on the best of version, I just don't hear that much, although the more pronounced pick scrapes during the verse are a nice touch. I guess I just don't pay as much attention to the vocal delivery as I do to the Edge, at least until the last chorus. I'm all about some U2 aggression, and I found my aggression in that shrill guitar riff, not to mention a cool volume/intensity dynamic in the song. I probably have hearing damage from blasting that part in my car. :rockon:

Another thing. The Quiet1 noted a lyrical clarification that was found in the best of version, and I have one too. I always thought Bono was singing "what you thought was freedom is just free", instead of "just greed". I would submit my misinterpretation as a better lyric. "what you thought was freedom is just free" implies the person thinking they have something valuable, but in fact they have something cheap, discardable. They are glorying in crap.

Oh yeah, and I miss Larry's drum break going into the bridge. :larry:

I love the piano in the pop version and I don't like the guitar in the encore of the best of version. However I do prefer the Numb mix, doesn't sound as muddled.

Zootlesque said:
The album version of Gone is perfect as it is. You don't go back and fuck with a work of art! You just don't!!! The album version will always be the only one I even consider. :|

edit: :up: to Nisse's post!

Actually, the original artist can f*ck all he/she/they want with their own work of art!

The great Jimi Hendrix was famous for really reworking his songs in concert. His general view was that they were his songs and he wished to advance them. I feel this is completely true.

U2 have said - even when "Pop" was released - that they weren't quite done with this album. This sentiment has only grown in the years since, especially given the album's comparatively poor reception in some areas (like the U.S.). I feel revisiting songs on that album is more than justified.

Furthermore, I feel that reworking many songs, whether it's a token change of a line (like on "Mysterious Ways") or a completely new mix (as with "Numb") is a great idea - especially for a "Best Of"! If U2 re-released "Pop", perhaps your comment would be justified to some extent. However, on a "Best Of", why not remix songs a bit, try to either add a bit extra or make the songs better? Why create an album full of songs that can easily be found on the regular releases? IMO, the main disc of the 90's "Best Of" is fantastic and is oceans better than the main disc of the 80's "Best Of", which not only over-emphasized R&H, but butchered some songs (like "Streets") and failed to showcase songs from several albums (like "October"). Of course, what makes the 80's "Best Of" shine is the b-side disc, which puts to shame the horrendous 90's b-side disc.

In any event, I feel the version of "Gone" on the "Best Of" is far better. It simulates the concert feel of the song more, has better vocals (both main and back-up) and has more energy. I applaud U2 for doing this.

I'm not sure about the extended ending in "Staring at the Sun" - I don't think that does much for the song at all. But again, it is fun to hear a different mix, rather than just listen to the straight-forward "Pop" songs.

doctorwho said:

Actually, the original artist can f*ck all he/she/they want with their own work of art!

The great Jimi Hendrix was famous for really reworking his songs in concert. His general view was that they were his songs and he wished to advance them. I feel this is completely true.

U2 have said - even when "Pop" was released - that they weren't quite done with this album. This sentiment has only grown in the years since, especially given the album's comparatively poor reception in some areas (like the U.S.). I feel revisiting songs on that album is more than justified.

Furthermore, I feel that reworking many songs, whether it's a token change of a line (like on "Mysterious Ways") or a completely new mix (as with "Numb") is a great idea - especially for a "Best Of"! If U2 re-released "Pop", perhaps your comment would be justified to some extent. However, on a "Best Of", why not remix songs a bit, try to either add a bit extra or make the songs better? Why create an album full of songs that can easily be found on the regular releases? IMO, the main disc of the 90's "Best Of" is fantastic and is oceans better than the main disc of the 80's "Best Of", which not only over-emphasized R&H, but butchered some songs (like "Streets") and failed to showcase songs from several albums (like "October"). Of course, what makes the 80's "Best Of" shine is the b-side disc, which puts to shame the horrendous 90's b-side disc.

In any event, I feel the version of "Gone" on the "Best Of" is far better. It simulates the concert feel of the song more, has better vocals (both main and back-up) and has more energy. I applaud U2 for doing this.

I'm not sure about the extended ending in "Staring at the Sun" - I don't think that does much for the song at all. But again, it is fun to hear a different mix, rather than just listen to the straight-forward "Pop" songs.

It's like total inverse opinion to mine.

I think the 80s Best Of is near perfect, the flow is amazing and more than makes up for anything that might have been omitted from the compilation.

The 90s Best Of, on the other hand, is a mess. There are three 'new mixes', two brand new songs, and two songs that don't fit the time period. That's 7 songs out of a 16-track compilation. That means that only just over 50% of the compilation is actually original recordings from AB/Zooropa/Passengers/Pop!! I actually wouldn't mind keeping the two brand new tracks, but the two tracks that don't fit the time period need to go and be replaced with Please and Lemon, and the three 'new mixes' need to be reverted to their original, un-modified form. And then the running order needs to be tweaked. And The First Time needs to be dropped for The Fly. 90-00 needs quite a bit of work.

But back to the point of the thread, Pop Gone is better, more minimalistic, more ambient.

Just for kicks...

Even Better Than The Real Thing
Gone(Pop Version)
The Fly
Electrical Storm(Original Mix, NOT Orbit)
Stay(Faraway, So Close)
Miss Sarajevo
Lemon
Discotheque(Pop Version)
Numb(Zooropa Version)
HMTMKMKM
Until The End Of The World
Staring At The Sun
Mysterious Ways
Please(Single)
Hands That Built America
One

Last edited:
chickadee said:
Heh, over here we got The Fly on the Best of anyway, so we're alright ;)

The rest of the world always gets better complilations... ALWAYS!!! be it The Police Greatest Hits, Sting's Fields Of Gold Hits collection, U2's best of, even U2's album releases have an extra song which is usually better than most of the songs on the orig. album. eg. Ground Beneath, Fast Cars....

Why??? Why not the US? :mad: :sigh: :wink:

Damn, I'm just testing out the flow of that running order I just posted in ITunes and, not to toot my own horn or anything, but the flow is awesome! Try it out! :wink:

Best Of version is a huge improvement.........original is just a forgettable album track, whereas the new mix comes close to bottling the live feel of the song.

Pop versions for all of them, especially Gone.

Of the single and/or best of mixes there really are only the smallest things that I prefer, no where near enough for me to take the whole song over the original though.

eg If God Will Send - love that the single version extends that little bit longer to capture the falsetto. F*cking hate that they monster the first third to fit it in under whatever time limit. Please - love the guitar, hate the strings.

Gone just sounds better a little dirtier. I adore the album version.

Zootlesque said:

The rest of the world always gets better complilations... ALWAYS!!! be it The Police Greatest Hits, Sting's Fields Of Gold Hits collection, U2's best of, even U2's album releases have an extra song which is usually better than most of the songs on the orig. album. eg. Ground Beneath, Fast Cars....

Why??? Why not the US? :mad: :sigh: :wink:

Because you get them over there for loads more live dates than we do! ;)

I gotta point out that I heard the Best of version first so perhaps that's why I prefer it? When I first heard the Pop version of Discotechque I didn't like it :reject: but then it got to the boomcha bit and I couldn't believe that they cut that out of the Best of! If only there was some way of combining the two......

Back
Top Bottom