"Gone" appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
schnumi said:
Boston gone rocks, especially because of the ending by

"Flaming edge" ripping over his guitar! :drool: :drool:
edgefire.gif

This is probably the most extreme case of "Album track that should've been a single" in U2's career. However, I feel that the album version simply wouldn't have flown on the radio. Had the album version sounded more like the live version or the best of version, I think it would've been a successful 3rd single, after Discotheque and Staring at the sun.

The_acrobat said:
This is probably the most extreme case of "Album track that should've been a single" in U2's career. However, I feel that the album version simply wouldn't have flown on the radio. Had the album version sounded more like the live version or the best of version, I think it would've been a successful 3rd single, after Discotheque and Staring at the sun.

Agree with everything, except when you say that it wouldn't suceed on the radio. I think it could make better than LNOE for instance, since there were few successful songs at the time in the same vein (or with similar feeling) of Gone.
It's a crime, this song (and MOFO too as a real single, not a remixes single) wasn't released as a single.

LOVE Gone -- what is Bono saying, is it something like "Hutch!" at the beginning? I think he also says it at the beginning of Saints live.

Gone is one of my favourite songs ever (wow, big surprise there)

U2 at the top of their form. I love all versions of the song, but I think it reached its high point live on Elevation. but, it's the album version I listen to the most. something very haunting about the vocals

Boston version is quite good

Mexico's version is Awesome

Last edited:
Gone is amazing.

I like listening to it next to Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.

Both are pretty similar lyrically and thematically, that's why I stick Hold Me... on my Pop playlists over Zooropa.

silvrlvr said:
LOVE Gone -- what is Bono saying, is it something like "Hutch!" at the beginning? I think he also says it at the beginning of Saints live.

in reference to michael hutchense

By the Boston version, do you mean it's on the Boston Elevation DVD/video?

I do have the video somewhere, but it's been years since I looked at it...

love the bridge part

Gone did a great job on Elevation as one of the rocking tunes

other than that it is a good song, but not any more than that
which already is a huge compliment for a song with such a bland chorus (not that I care specifically for chorusses, but if something is going to return a couple of times within a 4 minute song anyway it better be good)

For some reason it reminds me of a slowed-down, neon The Fly.

I love Gone, especially the "siren" sounds on the Pop version.

Back
Top Bottom