Globalism & America Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ormus

War Child
There seem to be some very political people in this forum, so I thought I'd ask a question. Where does America stand in globalism? I always thought it was a given that America was instrumental in creating what we call "globalism," but anytime I talk to my more conservative Republican co-worker, they look at me like I'm blaspheming or something. America, apparently, is not for globalism, according to him. Then I look at all the wars the U.S. has been in over the last 50 years, the U.S.'s controlling role in the U.N., and, of course, the U.S.'s multinational corporations. Am I just crazy for seeing these things or is my friend crazy?

Ormus

Ormus,

Just like any other political issue, you will find people are deeply divided on this one.

One of my major complaints of the Bush Administration early on was their seeming determination to focus inward. Not only were we failing to sign onto treaties that had been joined by most of the rest of the world, we were failing to even show up at some of the conferences. However, if you go back just one administration, you will find a president that made his reputation (outside of the scandals) with his foreign policy.

Of course Sept 11 has changed everything and brought the Bush Administration into the front and center of world politics.

I for one am a staunch supporter of participation in world negotiations, treaties, etc. (However, if you ask most of the people I debate with around here,they'll tell you that I'm a fairly liberal thinker, as opposed to your conservative friend). I believe that if the events of Sept 11 showed us nothing else, they showed us how small the world is and we cannot be inwardly focused. We are one world.

Peace to you.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

When you have McDonald's in China and Russia and American troops in Bosnia and Rwanda, I think its pretty safe to say you're global. In some senses, I think its great that we have the power and the money to send humanitarian relief to countries, to send our troops to the former Yugoslavia as part of a peace keeping force. But remember, this globalism is part of what got us where we are now. Sometimes America thinks we're so globally great that it becomes egomanical and makes countries-- and terrorists-- hate us more.

Back
Top Bottom