Global Deaths as a Consequence of 09-11-01

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

running_still

Babyface
I would like to start by offering my deepest felt sympathy and condolences to all those affected by yesterdays appalling acts of violence.

I believe that the death toll from yesterday's terrorist acts will be much larger than the final numbers from NY, Washington, and Pennsylvania reflect.

First of all America will undoubtedly retaliate, there is no question about that fact. My fear is that with a stanch conservative at the helm, the retaliation will be excessive and possibly misdirected.

Secondly, this attack has the potential to push the global economy over the edge and into a recession. The implications of a recession will be felt greatest in the 3rd world nations. One can only guess that the momentum of global debt relief will be slowed down by a recession. Furthermore the spotlight on the AIDS epidemic in Africa has been, and will be, dimmed for the foreseeable future.

Just imagine for a second that the financing used to sponsor this despicable act was used to help stop the AIDS epidemic in Africa. This is not to mention the billions of dollars the US will spend on helping the victims of the attack, cleaning up the attack area, investigating the attack, rebuilding the city, and the financial cost of the expected retaliation.

Many people have died as a direct result of yesterday?s events and that has sadden my greatly. I fear that many people outside of the US will now suffer and die as a direct and indirect consequence of this attack. Furthermore I believe that if these resources were originally spent on aid instead of terror many people could have been saved from death at the hands of poverty and sickness, in particular AIDS in Africa.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and God bless.

Nelson

------------------
I see seven towers but i only see one way out. You got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice. You know I took the poision from the poision stream Then I floated out of here.

[This message has been edited by running_still (edited 09-12-2001).]

I'm inclined to agree running_still
have a look at U2GIRL's post-"after events in USA, do you think we're getting into WW3? and the end of the world?" for more.

My fear is that with a stanch conservative at the helm, the retaliation will be excessive and possibly misdirected.

This comment is uncalled for at a time like this. What our President does will be totally supported by both Liberals and Conservatives. You should hope it is excessive because if it is not the next act of violance may be on your head if the US does not make a strong stand against this terrible act. I say BUSH let them have it.

------------------
Dream up the kind of world you want to live in.
Dream OUTLOUD. At HIGH VOLUME.
Peace to U2 and 2U
U2Byrd
3d.gif

Originally posted by U2Byrd:
My fear is that with a stanch conservative at the helm, the retaliation will be excessive and possibly misdirected.

This comment is uncalled for at a time like this. What our President does will be totally supported by both Liberals and Conservatives. You should hope it is excessive because if it is not the next act of violance may be on your head if the US does not make a strong stand against this terrible act. I say BUSH let them have it.
Amen, Byrd. I was thinking the same thing.

Have you ever heard of the concept of due process and international law???? Have you ever paid attention to the conflict between the PLO and Israel, it's vicious cycle of attack for attack....when does it end?

Don't get me wrong I believe that the US should respond to these acts but they must have international support if we are to avoid a global conflict. By international support I don't just mean from a couple of allied nations that consistently stand behind the US. America must have the support of China and Russia as well.

This situation has the potential to be the seed of a world war....political landmines abound and care must be taken to avoid them prior to and retaliatory response.

------------------
I see seven towers but i only see one way out. You got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice. You know I took the poision from the poision stream Then I floated out of here.

What happened yesterday is just the tip of the iceburg. The United States is far too proud and powerful a country to be pensive in its response to this dispicible act. There will be severe retribution, whether people want that or not. Someone just stepped on big brother's shoes and it's not going to be pretty how we respond.

------------------
Mac Phisto's N.Y. Headquarters

Originally posted by Mac Phisto:
There will be severe retribution, whether people want that or not.

I agree with the part "whether people want that or not". We can all post our opinions till we're blue in the face, but nothing is up to the "people". We have NO say in what should happen next. All the big wigs are behind closed doors planning out the next step and we will be in the dark as usual (which is really scary).

[This message has been edited by ZOOTB (edited 09-12-2001).]

"Stepped on Big Brother's shoes??????"

Mac Phisto,

This has to be one of the more callous statements I've read here in the past few days. What the hell were thinking?
They didn't step on Big Brothers shoes, they murdered thousands of innocent people.

MP

Originally posted by ZOOTB:
I agree with the part "whether people want that or not". We can all post our opinions till we're blue in the face, but nothing is up to the "people". We have NO say in what should happen next. All the big wigs are behind closed doors planning out the next step and we will be in the dark as usual (which is really scary).

[This message has been edited by ZOOTB (edited 09-12-2001).]

Well if it wasn't for our "big wigs" then the freedom we have enjoyed for so long would be non-existent, wealth would not happen, laws would not be in place, and generally we would be free to be overtaken at will.

And you do have a say-so, get yourself a passport and a visa and GO!

Originally posted by running_still:

Secondly, this attack has the potential to push the global economy over the edge and into a recession. The implications of a recession will be felt greatest in the 3rd world nations. One can only guess that the momentum of global debt relief will be slowed down by a recession. Furthermore the spotlight on the AIDS epidemic in Africa has been, and will be, dimmed for the foreseeable future.

I really wouldn't call Bush a staunch conservative. I mean, he really is more open minded than that, or so it seems. He reminds me more of Clinton than Reagan, because Clinton wasn't exactly a true liberal and Reagan was pretty conservative.

Anyway, hopefully we will avert an all-out war. As far as we are concerned, war is good for our economy like it or not.

Back
Top Bottom