Get a load of this steaming pile of excrement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ponkine said:
"U2 has gone from the band that mattered most to arguably the most irrelevant". :ohmy: I totally agree with the line, I mean, U2 has become in another corporate product as Destiny´s Child, Madonna, Sting, Metallica, etc, etc. U2 were relevant in the 80´s and 90´s, but now they just are a nostalgia act :sad:

In YOUR opinion - and maybe that of this author. I, however, do not consider U2 "irrelevant" in any capacity. When I have people saying that the newest Coldplay or Killers or whatever song sounds like a new U2 song, it's clear U2 is not only highly relevant but highly influential.

When I listen to the recordings of the concerts held to date, I hear the audience sing along to the NEW songs just as much as the old. In fact, when U2 performed under the Brooklyn Bridge last November, fans were already singing along to the songs - and the album wasn't even officially released yet!! This to me says all you need to know about relevance. U2 are so relevant that TONS of fans downloaded the album before it was bought, learned the album well enough to sing along with songs, and then went out and bought the album - giving U2 their biggest first week sales ever! A non-relevant band wouldn't have this type of fan base... or sales... or mimicking by other bands. A non-relevant band wouldn't have the impact on society that U2 has.

If you're pissed about U2's more commercial aspects, then I have two things to say: (1) 2005 is not the 80's; (2) U2 did this in the 80's too.

U2 were on all sorts of talk shows, magazine covers, award shows and even did real commercials (non-music related ones too) in the 80's. Were you complaining then about U2's relevance? In 2005, a band needs a lot more than to just put out a good album and hope it sells. In the 80's, bands would get airplay - I'd hear obscure songs that would turn into hits thanks to daring DJ's. But in 2005, unless you do something sensational, radio doesn't play you. Unless you are part of ClearChannel's top artists, forget it. So please adjust to the fact that U2 advertising themselves does not deteriorate the quality of their music nor does it make them irrelevant! :mad:

Overall: A U2 fan doesn´t mean you have to swallow any shit they do. No I don´t do it. Rather I´m a critical fan, and I admit they´ve done fantastic things as 80´s and 90´s albums and avant garde Tours as Zoo TV and Pop Mart. But I admit, for example, POP Mart Mexico City as official concert was a completely wrong choice. I don´t like October, and I don´t like Rattle & Hum movie ( except for live performances ). The problem with U2 is that, no matter how shit sellouts they have become in 2000, they still pretend they´re the best band in the world and every new album is their truly best ever. I can´t stand that.

I concur, a U2 doesn't have to enjoy everything U2 does - in fact, I've had more than my share of "complaints". But I see nothing wrong with a band promoting themselves. U2 have always felt this way - they said this in the 80's too.

It really seems like you have very selective memory - and I can't stand that! If U2 suddenly changed, I might understand your views. But they've been acting this way for over 20 years, but only now it annoys you. :rolleyes:

Bono's shades said:
I agree, this writer's review is unfair in a lot of ways. But I have to admit he's right about one thing - I'm sick to death of Bono saying this album is their best ever. I don't think too many fans, even those who love the Bomb, would rank it over Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree. It just makes U2 look desparate. If he'd scale back the hyperbole a little bit, and just say something like, "Wow, it's 25 years and we're still together and people are still interested in hearing our new material, isn't it great?" it would be a LOT less annoying.

'ahem'

Bono: "This won't be our best album by a long shot but it is our best album to date." (talking about Joshua Tree)

Bono: "This is the sound of four men chopping down Joshua Tree."

Bono: "I don't mean to sound arrogant but I do think U2 is meant to be among the bands like Beatles, Stones, The who." (in 1982!)

Last edited:
Get a load of this steaming pile of excrement :wink:

i still say this is the best title of a thread in Interference.Com history:angry:

makes me giggle plus i know the poster and he's the most soft spoken kid in the U2 fanbase.:)

db9

Last edited:
U2girl said:

'ahem'

Bono: "This won't be our best album by a long shot but it is our best album to date." (talking about Joshua Tree)

Bono: "This is the sound of four men chopping down Joshua Tree."

Bono: "I don't mean to sound arrogant but I do think U2 is meant to be among the bands like Beatles, Stones, The who." (in 1982!)

Thank you U2girl - you proved my comments above beautifully. U2 have been behaving this way for 20+ years... so why does it only NOW bother some people?

i think some americans think it's more in vouge to b almost famous but not worldly famous.

if u r worldly renowned there are some that insist u had to give up part of your soul to acheive fame.

i think not.

db9

I think more people are pissed off now because they're not backing up the bravado the way they used to. They WERE the best band in the world at one time. It wasn't hyperbole; it was true. The last ten years have been decent at best, disappointing to downright afwul at worst. I can relate to a lot of the rant while still remembering the band I used to love. There have been so many threads like this that I won't go into another full explanation except to say that there are plenty of true fans who remember what was and don't like it compared to what is. Accept that and move on.

"We will continue to abuse our position and f--- up the mainstream" - Bono, 1993

"We want to fight the music on the charts because I do think we're better." Bono, very early 1980s

The bigger you are the more people know about you. The more people know about you the bigger your fan base becomes. The more people know about you the bigger your, em, hate base becomes. The biggest bands, even if they are great (or were great in the past, ahem, Rolling Stones) will always have the most haters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom