George Harrison about U2 in todays newspaper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly Calluna, thank you, and unfortunatly I have not opened this thread until now.. and personally I think it stinks.

Originally posted by Thermopylae:
He was just a hippie, second rate guitarist that took a long ride on Lennon-McCartney's coat tails.

As a whole, I will take U2's collection of songs over the Beatles any day. And you don't see U2 getting sued for stealing songs from the Supremes.

I hope George is enjoying Purgatory with his sitar and bowl of weed...and that goddess with 12 arms or whatever...

You are incorrect. Harrison is a very influential and ground-breaking guitarist mind you. LOL to bash Harrison's influence as a guitarist is ridiculous when the impact that the Edge has is in music are comparable IMO. Bad taste in a few points on this thread considering he died a few days ago. Also Harrison has written some of the best Beatles' songs in the catalogue. Heck, I don't think the Beatles would be as great to me without George Harrison in the mix.

I find it a shame that George couldn't enjoy the artistry quality of U2 but to each their own.

Matthew_Page 2000 or MAP(??) had some interesting words to say.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 12-04-2001).]

Actually most of what I read prior to Harrison's death felt his guitar playing abilities was one of the band's few limitations. That was the reason the title "Best Rock Band of All Time" was given to the Stones. His pluck pluck type of playing worked great when they were bubble gum pop singers, but they brought in studio musicians when they tried to expand their sound.

True - the man just died. But he believed in eternity, as do I, so no real harm done. Usually - when an artist or public figure dies - there is always some debate about their legacy. So - just relax a bit and let people talk about one of the more popular figures in Pop history
smile.gif

Again I think his slide guitar and slide techniques were considered influential as well as his growth musically from old rock-a-billy style to what he played later with the Beatles. Also he made some very melodic guitar parts which as we know as U2 fans are important for a guitarist. I remember listening to the the former lead guitarist for Steely Dan giving much props.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Some of you are real idiots and very, very disrespectful, like I said before not everyone will like U2 and that is fine and to bloody hate someone because of this is annoying, quite truthfully maybe George just didnt have a lot of time for contemporary music- is that a crime, no it isnt, leave him alone he was a member of the greatest Rock band in history and he is entitled to his opinions and believe me he was extremely talented and influential, a lot of the world may not have been so widley exposed to eastern religions and mythology had it not been for Harrison's interest and the subsequent popularity of the Beatles that proppelled this form of enlightenment into the minds of many every day people. And one does not need to be a maestro of the guitar in order to be great, greatness is more about simplicity and harmony in my opinion..

and whoever it was that made the crack about the Beatles being just like Herman's Hermits, well somebody didn't even know who they were but knows of the Beatles, my case rests.........

The Beatles were great, U2 are great and I even like Henry Rollins and Rollins Band even though he hates U2
smile.gif

That was the 80s!!!! Give the guy a fucking break! Almost everyone did something lame in the 80s!

Excuse me while I puke my guts out all over this fucking lame excuse for a thread...

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

Peace George

It's not lame that he hates U2, it's lame that he hates U2 and then makes the claim that the Beatles will always be remembered while U2 will fade out with the Spice Girls. Anyone who can speak with that much arrogance can't be too spiritual or enlightened, right? Isn't humility a big part of any religion?

A band from Ireland made some good music in the 80's...so did REM, the Smiths, Stone Roses, the Cure, Cocteau Twins...

Let's face it - the only real hit Harrison had outside the Beatles - was a Supremes rip off...he sucked. RIP

Originally posted by Thermopylae:
Let's face it - the only real hit Harrison had outside the Beatles - was a Supremes rip off...he sucked. RIP

How can you say something like that only a couple of days after he died? Show some heart, man.

------------------
AFLAC!!!!!!

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Exactly Calluna, thank you, and unfortunatly I have not opened this thread until now.. and personally I think it stinks.

I disagree.

One reason I didn't sign-in on the Memorial thread is that I'm not much of a Harrison fan - and his comments about U2, as well as other bands - are partly why. I don't want to debase the man and I fully recognize his contribution to rock music. But I lost a lot of respect for him. I wish his family well and I'll leave it at that.

Hmm...perhaps you haven't heard of an amazing group called the Traveling Wilburys?

And by saying people did shitty things in the
1980s I was referring to the cheesiness of the decade, not that there wasn't any good music during that time. Yeah, a band from Ireland. No fucking way!

And it wasn't the Supremes, it was the Chiffons--and the song is nothing like that anyway.

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there

Peace George

Whatever, who gives a fuck. I'm done with this shit.

------------------

Peace George

Of all the things in this world to be upset and angry about...and you chose the Traveling Wilbury's...

Lady - I feel it is more than fair that people here can point out what they like and dislike about an artist. If it truly offends you - why not just skip over it instead of taking the time to write a profanity laced tirade? (very anti - Harrison behavior I might add) Just curious...

I was just teasing about the Wilbury...well, actually maybe I wasn't...
smile.gif

Believe me, I'm not upset over the Wilburys.
I think they were a good group (come on, Harrison, Dylan, and Orbison--those 3 by themselves are fabulous artists).

Forgive me for being upset, but I feel (and I'm not alone here) that it's a bit unfair for you to be so negative about George just days after his death. Many people (myself included) are still upset over this. I apologize for being a bitch, but I'm stressed at the moment (blame it on the end of the semester), and upset about the death of my favorite Beatle and about certain people being insensitive about the issue. Yes I realize that people are entitled to their own opinions, but this is a U2 board and people seem to do way too much bashing of other musicians here (not to say that I'm not guilty of that--but I don't rub salt into fresh wounds).

Besides, there is nothing wrong with making your speech more colorful.
smile.gif

------------------

Peace George

School is stressful, good luck...
smile.gif
I do like the song Norwegian Wood very much - and that (I think) has our boy George playing sitar...

I hope you get through this semester okay - perhaps rumors of U2 going into the studio will get you through - and a collective prayer from interference.com
wink.gif

smile.gif

Thanks. Glad we are no longer hostile. Here is my peace offering:

I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me.
She showed me her room, isn't it good, norwegian wood?
She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere.
So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair.
I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine.
We talked until two, and then she said, "It's time for bed".

She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh.
I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath.
And when I awoke, I was alone, this bird had flown.
So I lit a fire, isn't it good, norwegian wood.

OK, now this bird has to fly. Was taking a study break...now back to writing my paper.

------------------

Peace George

Thanks for the lyrics - that song is one of their best, off one of their best albums "Rubber Soul."

Man - pulling an all-nighter? Again - good luck and take care
smile.gif

That was years ago and it's been posted on here loads of times. Can we just forget about it? The main thing is that it was years ago and should just be forgotten. he was a great influence to music in general and to U2s music as The Beatles are one of U2s influences. George did alot of work for charity and was said to be a joker by many who knew him. He is now no longer with us and it is a great loss so can we just show a little respect please and let this drop? PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom