Gasp!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
Well...after considering all your points made to me, and after numerous listens...my attitude towards "Miami" has changed for the better. I have gone from total hate and loathing for it, to a minor dislike...here's your chance to convert me. Give me a good reason why I should like this song (nothing like "Cause it's a U2 song!" or anything like that please). I will consider each point as well as continue to look for good in it while I listen, and, when I feel the discussion is completed, I will let you know if I have become a "Miami" fan. I'm on the brink, people...it's up to you now.

Let the mayhem begin.

:D

I never liked Miami except the part in which Bono screams MIAMI!:|

_____
:wave: Hey Dave C: You still haven't denied to be just Dave Evans with a nickname. :D

Bono screaming, the cool drum part in the middle section, the way the song switches back and forth from smooth and slippery to rockin out with some feedback. These are all reasons I enjoy Miami.

DaveC said:

Hahah...yup...you got me. I'm The Edge...

...i wish...
You know.....only the real Edge would deny being himself. ;) But I'll :silent: and won't tell anybody about our secret. :up:

FallingStar said:

You know.....only the real Edge would deny being himself. ;) But I'll :silent: and won't tell anybody about our secret. :up:

Haha...that's my intention...to trick you into thinking I'm not really him...then when you become complacent...BOOM CHA! ;) hahah

DaveC said:

Haha...that's my intention...to trick you into thinking I'm not really him...then when you become complacent...BOOM CHA! ;) hahah
I see through your lies, Edgie.....:yes:......I'm clever........:coocoo::laugh:.......Does Morleigh know that you sometimes sneek into PLEBA? :shame:

FallingStar said:

I see through your lies, Edgie.....:yes:......I'm clever........:coocoo::laugh:.......Does Morleigh know that you sometimes sneek into PLEBA? :shame:

HA! Little do you know that Morleigh POSTS in PLEBA!!! Muhahaha... but you know me, I can't help but love the attention! ;) hahah

I like the distorted, full-out rockin' guitar that encompanies Bono's "Miami!" screaming. As for the song as a whole, it's a bit throwaway, but that's the whole point of it. It's supposed to be funny, and if you really listen to the song (ie, headphones), you will probably laugh yourself silly when you hear what Bono is saying/singing towards the very end. It's a song that you can't take seriously. Only when you realize this, will you enjoy it to the max.

DaveC said:

HA! Little do you know that Morleigh POSTS in PLEBA!!! Muhahaha... but you know me, I can't help but love the attention! ;) hahah
:shocked: She even posts?! Under what user name? I bet Sicy....
Does Ali also post? And Bono? I.....(I'm not sure if you followed PLEBA that long)......don't hope Ali read the Elevated Bono -thread! :laugh: :lmao: That'd be hillarious!

FallingStar said:

:shocked: She even posts?! Under what user name? I bet Sicy....
Does Ali also post? And Bono? I.....(I'm not sure if you followed PLEBA that long)......don't hope Ali read the Elevated Bono -thread! :laugh: :lmao: That'd be hillarious!

Haha...Morleigh's username is a secret ;). BTW, I'll make sure to direct Ali towards that thread next time I see her. :rolleyes:

Dave, Dr Teethy is right. I didn't like Miami much until I heard the live versions. Thats what converted me.
I think its Popmart Edmonton that has an incredible version. They really do crank it up live and for me the song came alive.

DaveC said:

Haha...Morleigh's username is a secret ;). BTW, I'll make sure to direct Ali towards that thread next time I see her. :rolleyes:
:eek: Oh no. :eek: Don't tell Ali to go there. :no: This would bring Bono into trouble! No telling her, Edgie! You hear me?! This thread was supposed for lusting-after-Bono PLEBA gals and not for Bono's wife! :eek: Oh my...

FallingStar said:

:eek: Oh no. :eek: Don't tell Ali to go there. :no: This would bring Bono into trouble! No telling her, Edgie! You hear me?! This thread was supposed for lusting-after-Bono PLEBA gals and not for Bono's wife! :eek: Oh my...

Welllll....alright. It'll be our little secret. :sexywink:

DaveC said:

Welllll....alright. It'll be our little secret. :sexywink:
Awwwww....that's so cute Edgie. Thank you. *giggles at thought of Ali seeing Bono's 7 pounds at PLEBA* :eeklaugh: :lmao:

FallingStar said:

You saw them? :ohmy: :eeklaugh: :laugh: You do't like therm? Unbelieveable. :lol: I like them...:rolleyes:

And is that a surprise? :no: Hahah. I'm just teasin'. Bono's a good-looking guy. A good kisser too. :rolleyes: :kiss:

Reasons to like Miami

Here are several reasons why you should like Miami:

1. The rather funky backwards drum pattern - it really shouldn't work but it does.

2. Bono's style of singing. That laid back 'I'm in Miami' kinda feel.

3. Edges minamlist guitar through-out the song. Gritty.

4. Edges vocals. Ba Ba Ba Bababa Ba-Ba

5. Backwards bass. That has to be the coolest bassline around.

6. Then Larry's drum's kick in with the most hip-hop stylee drum beat ever. Such a bad ass song to drum to.

7. Total madness at the end...

...but a grand madness

MIAMI!! MY MAMMI!!

Jo

Here's your reasons.

britney040.jpg

Mah ammy .. Mah mammy ..

- z -

Woah.

:drool:

That is a damn good reason...

But what does it have to do with the song?!?!

Not that I'm complaining...:lol:

If you listen to the song ... you'll know the connection. Here's some other reasons:

jenny021.jpg

I took a picture of you...My mammy
Getting hot in a photo booth...Miami
I said you looked like a Madonna
You said...maybe...
Said I want to have your baby...baby
We could make something beautiful
Something that wouldn't be a problem
We could make something beautiful
Something that wouldn't be a problem
At least not in...Miami

kirsten023.jpg

She tastes of chlorine...

Who's in the mood for a vacation?

- z -

I think that picture of Britney was doctored with an airbrush....:eyebrow:

As for Miami, you should like it because while it IS a weak track, it makes all the other great U2 songs sound even BETTER! Just think if all U2's songs were as good as One, Mysterious Ways, Gone, etc?

Okay, maybe that's not the best reason to LIKE it, so here's my reason for liking the tune: It's full of brilliant, vivid language that reminds me of the greatest poets of our time. It's pop-poetry done the way it should be done---with music in the background.

Airbrush, hairbrush - whatever makes 'em look tastey. :macdevil:

Alright, Dave -

If you want to know why you should like "Miami", you should find a live recording of it. The song received a totally new personality when performed in a stadium. It became louder, meaner, and a whole lot more fun. <insert personal tango here>

- z -

Alright...I got the live version (the one from Edmonton, as suggested)...but I can't hear it...my stupid stepbro has the tv turned up so loud I can't hear myself think...!!! :rant:

I have to disagree with your assessment Michael...

I don't think "miami" is meant to be silly at all, the song is dark and swarthy, some of the lyrics are tongue-in-cheek or ironic, but with an almost mocking tone, and I don't think Bono intended people to laugh hysterically at lines like:

baby's always attracted to, the things she's afraid of

we could make something beautiful, something that wouldn't be a problem

and that funky, rhythmic beat, with the eerie synth (particularly in the live version), this is not a fun little summer song, and the added dimension during PopMart of throwing in lines about Cuba hints at Miami's decadence and the juxtaposition with the sister island

bah bah bah, bah bah fucking bah... leading straight into Bullet, hmmm, yes I think Bono was trying to make some connections there

btw, the late legendary American poet Allen Ginsberg liked the lyrics enough to read them off at one of his poetry readings shortly before he passed away, cool stuff man, cool stuff

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom