Gangs of New York delayed again? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2002, 06:19 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Gangs of New York delayed again?

According to the Hollywood Reporter "Gangs of New York" may be pushed back until next Fall/Winter.

-------------------- http://www.hollywoodreporter.com
March 18, 2002

Condensed from The Hollywood Reporter:

Miramax trims 75 employees from workforce
Sun Mar 17, 8:12 PM ET

By Jeffrey R. Sipe

Miramax was also forced to postpone the December opening of its expensive Martin
Scorsese epic, "Gangs of New York," starring Leonardo DiCaprio . The film, which
carries a steep $100 million price tag, was recently rescheduled for a July 12 debut,
which would pit it against DreamWorks' Tom Hanks vehicle "The Road to Perdition."
Although there has been no official announcement, Miramax now appears to be
moving "Gangs" once again -- back to fourth quarter of 2002.

Old 03-18-2002, 06:29 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:31 AM
I'm not surprised.

The trailer to it looked terrible and not at all interesting, imho.

Old 03-18-2002, 06:42 PM   #3
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel:
I'm not surprised.

The trailer to it looked terrible and not at all interesting, imho.

It was the soundtrack that sounded interesting rather than the movie.

Old 03-18-2002, 07:09 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i thought the trailer looked kinda cool.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:21 PM   #5
Kid A

Local Time: 01:31 AM
If any of you are familiar with Martin Scorsese you'd realize he is not in the business of making terrible, uninteresting movies. Many insiders are saying it will be a sure-thing for an Oscar nomination next year. And correct me if I am wrong, but part of the theory here is that maybe U2 can get an Oscar nomination for best song/soundtrack from a film?

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 03-18-2002).]
Old 03-19-2002, 06:57 PM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Bringing out the Dead was a fabulous flick.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits
Old 03-19-2002, 11:54 PM   #7
War Child

I smell a dog...unfortunately.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:36 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
And correct me if I am wrong, but part of the theory here is that maybe U2 can get an Oscar nomination for best song/soundtrack from a film?
This is what I was thinking... hooray if it can happen!
Old 03-20-2002, 08:46 AM   #9
Refugee

However, if this movie, and soundtrack come out in November/December, as does that u2 greatest hits 1990-2000. What single will be released?? Of course the movie soundtrack people will want to release the song for the movie, but U2 will want to release a single off the greatest hits album to help boost sales. 2 singles at one time is pretty much unheard of......

What do you think?

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"
Old 03-20-2002, 08:48 AM   #10
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77:
However, if this movie, and soundtrack come out in November/December, as does that u2 greatest hits 1990-2000. What single will be released?? Of course the movie soundtrack people will want to release the song for the movie, but U2 will want to release a single off the greatest hits album to help boost sales. 2 singles at one time is pretty much unheard of......

What do you think?

Just a thought, but what if the song from the movie is the single for the Greatest hits as well? I don't know, but this sounds like it could be a possibility. I could also be way off. Likely the latter.

Peace.

------------------
Peace on Earth.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:35 AM   #11
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by pop_mofo:
Just a thought, but what if the song from the movie is the single for the Greatest hits as well? I don't know, but this sounds like it could be a possibility. I could also be way off. Likely the latter.

Peace.

Ok... One of the new songs has to be that song from the movie Gangs Of New Work, which we've established is going to be called "A Man Is A Man".

In previous discussions: http://forum.interference.com/u2feed...ML/016208.html http://forum.interference.com/u2feed...ML/016208.html

How could that song find its way onto the Best Of 1990 - 2000 when its intended to be released in 2002. That wouldn't be consistant (unless it was an enhanced version of a song released somewhere between 1990 - 2000). Completely new material wouldn't appear on the next Best Of otherwise it would just be silly - wouldn't it?

[Recycled text]

Old 03-21-2002, 08:36 AM   #12
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by pop_mofo:

Peace.

Ok... One of the new songs has to be that song from the movie Gangs Of New Work, which we've established is going to be called "A Man Is A Man".

In previous discussions: http://forum.interference.com/u2feed...ML/016208.html http://forum.interference.com/u2feed...ML/016208.html

How could that song find its way onto the Best Of 1990 - 2000 when its intended to be released in 2002. That wouldn't be consistant (unless it was an enhanced version of a song released somewhere between 1990 - 2000). Completely new material wouldn't appear on the next Best Of otherwise it would just be silly - wouldn't it?

[Recycled text]