Gangs of New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafmed

Refugee
How about this?

From The New York Post:

Share the load

EVEN if "Gangs of New York" isn't titanic at the box office, Miramax isn't going to lose
its shirt. Turns out Harvey Weinstein's studio has put up just $15 million of the $95
million Martin Scorsese has spent so far. The Initial Entertainment Group put up
$65 million in return for foreign rights. Miramax split the remaining $30 million of the
budget with Disney, which will also share the profits 50/50. Meanwhile, U2 was
recently shown the final cut of the epic starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron
Diaz and Daniel Day Lewis, and is now writing a theme song.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Daniel Day Lewis AND U2!!?? And Cameron Daiz and Leonardo and U2!!?? I hope they get it sorted and the band enjoy writing the music. I look forward to it immensely.
although, that is a lot of waiting. I'm still waiting for a Beautiful Mind to open here. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm reserving my opinions until closer to the release date.

------------------
I dig my toes into the sand. The ocean looks like a 1,000 diamonds strewn across a blue plain. I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless. And in this moment I am happy... happy.

Love,
Emily

I wish you were here.

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
Emily's Wallpapers

I think this movie could both be really big, and also an Oscar contender. Scorsese rarely makes a poor film, and he might be due for a Best Director Academy Award. Also...could U2 add an Oscar to their trophy case?

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

I think it'll be huge, especially if it comes out for Summer. Scorsese has done two great New York street films - Taxi Driver and Bringing Out the Dead - that I know of. I'm really looking forward to Gangs of New York.

I'm really pumped about it. But I read this at U2log.com a few days ago:

U2 may've hitched themselves to the wrong horse. Martin Scorcese's Gangs Of New York, which our boys are alternately rumored to be writing a full score and/or original songs for, is still encountering various woes a mere three months from its projected release date (which has been pushed back repeatedly in the past). It's now said that Miramax honcho Harvey Weinstein wants a new ending (The New York Times Online requires free registration). For a full diary of the film's troubles, try Corona Coming Attractions; you might also be interested in the discussion going on at Metafilter (but please, try not to flame the non-fans).

Originally posted by wannabe:
I think it'll be huge, especially if it comes out for Summer. Scorsese has done two great New York street films - Taxi Driver and Bringing Out the Dead - that I know of. I'm really looking forward to Gangs of New York.

As far as "New York streets films" go, Scorsese's best is of course "Mean Streets." But "Gangs of New York" is a historical piece (setting is mid-19th cent.) -- only the second Scorsese has attempted. The first was "Age of Innocence." It's very hard to know what to expect of this film, but there's a lot of buzz around it. I hope that, after several duds, Scorses' can deliver a strong one.

I'm pretty certain the definitive release date for the film is now Xmas '02. I have no idea, however, what impact this will have on U2's plans for their own releases. I find it hard to believe that the band would put the Best Of (vol. 2) out in the fall, then release new material near Xmas on the film soundtrack -- and then put out a new album in the spring (as so many have speculated they will). Obviously something's got to give.

Originally posted by Am I Zoo:
As far as "New York streets films" go, Scorsese's best is of course "Mean Streets." But "Gangs of New York" is a historical piece (setting is mid-19th cent.) -- only the second Scorsese has attempted. The first was "Age of Innocence." It's very hard to know what to expect of this film, but there's a lot of buzz around it. I hope that, after several duds, Scorses' can deliver a strong one.

I'm pretty certain the definitive release date for the film is now Xmas '02. I have no idea, however, what impact this will have on U2's plans for their own releases. I find it hard to believe that the band would put the Best Of (vol. 2) out in the fall, then release new material near Xmas on the film soundtrack -- and then put out a new album in the spring (as so many have speculated they will). Obviously something's got to give.

Several duds? Hmm...I thought Kundun was the best thing he'd done in years.

Back
Top Bottom