Full Metal Jacket + Native Son = Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevink

The Fly
Okay, I have a theory. Full Metal Jacket and Native son were originally two different songs. They then merged into one song called Native Son. Native Son was then reworked into Vergtigo. The following quotes back up this theory:

Bono: "Edge brought around a CD of a new tune. It's just a provision title, "Full Metal Jacket." It's the roughest, it's the mother of all rock and roll tunes. I don't know where it came from, but it's a remarkable guitar thing. You want to hear it. It's a reason to make a record. This song is that good." - November 4, 2002

Bono: "We've got a song up on the burner called 'Native Son.' The best way I think we can celebrate is to just finish out what we're doing: Make this song a scorching 45. The molecules in the air are vibrating quite nicely as a result of that phone call." - Feb 14, 2003

Edge: "Full Metal Jacket is there....it married another track and had a baby which is on the LP" - September 27, 2004

Adam on "Vertigo": "It was originally called Native Son and had a very different feel. Bono and Edge rewrote it when we started work with Steve Lillywhite. The bass and drums have a little bit of Echo & the Bunnymen in there - a nice wink to where we came from." - October 1, 2004

So FMJ is the mother of all rock tunes, Native Son is the father of all rock tunes, and Vertigo is the baby of all rock tunes! :wink:

what a let down. i was expecting a great song from "Full Metal Jacket". "Vertigo" isn't going to be a smash hit. It is sad to say it is "mother of all rock tunes". bono making stuff seem better than it is again.... :(

nuke126 said:
what a let down. i was expecting a great song from "Full Metal Jacket". "Vertigo" isn't going to be a smash hit. It is sad to say it is "mother of all rock tunes". bono making stuff seem better than it is again.... :(

I quite like Vertigo, but I do not know about the "mother of all rock tunes". That would be something by Led Zeppelin, or The Who.

kevink said:

So FMJ is the mother of all rock tunes, Native Son is the father of all rock tunes, and Vertigo is the baby of all rock tunes! :wink:

nail on the head. :up:
i really, really like vertigo. it has the high energy vocal and guitar i was hoping for. i am not dissapointed in it AT ALL.
but it is not the mother of all rock tunes.
baby is definitely more like it.
a feisty baby.....:hyper: :dance:

As much as I love Vertigo, I do not think it's the mother of all rock tunes...perhaps a distant cousin...I was kind of hoping Vertigo wasn't FMJ or Native Son, so that we can get another massive guitar song on the album. I'm sure the album will be awesome either way.

I have to disagree w/ Zoocousitc - IMHO, HMTMKMKM, God II, and perhaps the Fly are heavier than Vertigo - but to each his/own.

I agree with people who say that it's unfair to take Bono's enthusiastic descriptions of a song in its infancy and apply it to the finished -- and obviously very transformed -- Vertigo and then say hey Vertigo is not how Bono first described it. Vertigo kicks ass all on its own. I like kevink's description: possibly the child of the mother of all rock tunes. Hopefully, we'll get a FMJ version on a b-side or some other future release and we can compare the two.

Vertigo is a very thin U2 song--it is catchy and rhythmic, but I feel it has fell flat--it is too easy to be a great U2 song--marketing-wise I think it is a smart choice, but I am disappointed in the song--when I first heard it, I like it but it has been all doiwn hill since then. A lot of times when I hear a U2 song it takes a while to get it, and when I do it continues to grow on me in the months and years to come--that will not be the case for me with this song.

I said this some weeks back. It was obvious that Vertigo was the monster of all rock tunes. Its funny to think this was mentioned in their phone conversation with Joe Whiley some two years ago.

I've said it before: I believe Vertigo has all of the elements that would make Bono think the band had written "the mother of all rock tunes" (or at least its offspring).

U2 doesn't usually come up with songs like this so their standard to be "the mother of all rock tunes" could be vastly different from others' standard.

nuke126 said:
"Vertigo" isn't going to be a smash hit.

Looks like you're wrong there. Head on over to the Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills forum - Vertigo's already doing splendidly on the charts, debuting on the US's Hot 100 at #46 after only three days of airplay. Beautiful Day debuted at #70.

i mean a long lasting hit like "With or Without You", "My Generation", "She Loves You", etc. Yeah, it is big now but it's not a landmark in music that will be remembered. ("mother of all rock and roll tunes"). :wink:

Axver said:

Looks like you're wrong there. Head on over to the Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills forum - Vertigo's already doing splendidly on the charts, debuting on the US's Hot 100 at #46 after only three days of airplay. Beautiful Day debuted at #70.

No kidding...Vertigo has already charted higher than any song since Staring At The Sun, with the exception only of Beautiful Day...the second highest charting in over 6 years for the band...how can it be said that this song isn't going to be successful?! By U2's own standards it already is...

Well, I would say Vertigo=Full Metal Jacket+Native Son+Tankcsapda because I heard the same guitar riff 10 years ago from a hungarian rock band called Tankcsapda. The similarity is frightening. :ohmy: I can email it if you want (500K)

Back
Top Bottom