Full Metal Jacket made the album!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murray

Acrobat
According to Rolling Stone, HTDAAB includes "Tough," "Vertigo," and "FULL METAL JACKET!" Normally, I wouldn't believe them for a second, but keep in mind they have heard the album and put it in the Fall Music Preview. For more details, go the link below:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6484099/u2?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1

Also, if you think this is a lie because they said "Tough" is on the album which has been proved to be "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" by U2.com, keep in that the titles change frequently!

They reported this a while ago. I would wait until the final tracklisting is put out by U2.com on November 21.

I thought ATYCLB was their 10th album...and that "Dismantle" is their 11th.

(Boy, October, War, UF, JT, RaH, AB, Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB)

They also call HTDAAB U2's "tenth album", even though we all know it's actually their eleventh. I wouldn't entirely trust this article.

Rolling Stone are repeating themselves, again. Regurge.
U2's 10th studio album? Try Eleventh.

I'm sure at one time, 10, 15 years ago Rolling Stone was still considered a great music rag, but nowadays in has been surpassed by just about every other music publication.

If they were truly doing their homework, why didn't they mention of the other 6 titles that appeared on U2.com? Besides, the single of course. Maybe they aren't doing their homework.
They never do.

Different sources say 10th or 11th because some consider Rattle & Hum in a different category than a straight-up studio album -- more along the lines of Wide Awake in America, I think.

LOVE the album title. Ballsy, and it'll get lots of attention. I do think that we may see some of those sarcastic headlines... especially if Pitchfork gets a copy of the album. They hate big bands, generally speaking.

I'll give you my right eye if that song is on the record. It's a horrible song name anyway.. IMO.

When I opened this post I was so excited because this is the track I want to hear the most out of the new ones. But after reading the article, its definetly recycled information. Im pretty much 100% sure that if FMJ did make the album it would be called "Native Son" anyway. And ya, good research on the 10th album thing RS!

Jim said:
I'll give you my right eye if that song is on the record. It's a horrible song name anyway.. IMO.

I dont know why it wouldnt be on the album though. "The Mother of all rock n roll tunes" turns into a scrapped song? Doesnt make sense, but I do think "Full Metal Jacket" is an amazing title for a full out rock song. Just my opinion :up:

Jim said:

No shit, Jim!!

Bono even said it was a provisional title, the first time he ever mentioned it. Actually, it might be the only time he mentioned it.
This is where regurgitation, repetition and lazy ass reporting comes in. Hence=Rolling Stone.

It's like that list on the ATYCLB leftover threads. They have to be titled something to give the band and producers some idea of which song they are working with. That's why they are called "provisional" titles. Bono improvises over the pieces of music, especially in the early stages. That's where most of those names come from. Most of them will never see the light of day because they already have been released in some form or another.

I'd still like to have a box set of ALL that shit. No matter if they are the same songs or not.

RademR said:

I dont know why it wouldnt be on the album though. "The Mother of all rock n roll tunes" turns into a scrapped song? Doesnt make sense, but I do think "Full Metal Jacket" is an amazing title for a full out rock song. Just my opinion :up:

Well for one (without sounding like a name dropping wanker), Bono told me that it wasn't a song from the album when he was shown a list or rumoured song titles from a newspaper article..

I think it will still be on the album in some shape of form but not with that name.

Jim said:

I think it will still be on the album in some shape of form but not with that name.

100% agree that it wont be called FMJ, I just hope it appears on the album in one shape or another.

It is my theory that Full Metal Jacket is to Vertigo what Always was to Beautiful Day and what Lady with the Spinning Head was to The Fly. Maybe we'll get FMJ as a b-side.

kevink said:
It is my theory that Full Metal Jacket is to Vertigo what Always was to Beautiful Day and what Lady with the Spinning Head was to The Fly. Maybe we'll get FMJ as a b-side.

this may seem like I'm going into things too much, but in the new interview with Interference, Edge talks about Vertigo, and says it was Steve Lillywhite from beginning to end on that tune. Full Metal Jacket was a tune that started I think before Chris Thomas was announced as the producer, then supposedly it turned into Native Son. Then almost a year later Steve Lillywhite took the controls. So if "Vertigo" was a total Lillywhite production, maybe FMJ isnt a scapped song? I dont know, maybe I'm just praying now :huh:

Don't think so, RademR, production means recording.
They probably re-recorded a lot of the Thomas stuff.
That's basically why they brought in Lillywhite, right? To re-do it.

That's why the producers are credited as such. If they actually miked up a track (recorded), on a song that makes the album, they will get production credits. Basically that's the way I understand it. That's why Nellee Hooper was given credits on POP because some of those earlier tracks stood the duration of the recording.

BTW how many ballads are on this album? I remember hearing theres 4? If so are the rest of the songs mid/up-tempo rockers?

Well, according to one of the people who heard the album (someone who was verified) I think they said 2 or 3.

But really, a ballad to one person might not neccessarily be a ballad to another person. To me, Kite is more of a rock ballad, but there are people on this board who will call it a full blown rock song, which to me is ridiculous. But that's really subjective.

U2DMfan said:
Well, according to one of the people who heard the album (someone who was verified) I think they said 2 or 3.

But really, a ballad to one person might not neccessarily be a ballad to another person. To me, Kite is more of a rock ballad, but there are people on this board who will call it a full blown rock song, which to me is ridiculous. But that's really subjective.

Thats right, I mean some people think a song that is slow is automatically a ballad, when there are plenty of rockers that have slower tempos..Personally I hope theres about 4 out and out ballads tops, with the 2 mid-tempo rockers, and 5 up-tempo ones. ;)

U2DMfan said:
Don't think so, RademR, production means recording.
They probably re-recorded a lot of the Thomas stuff.
That's basically why they brought in Lillywhite, right? To re-do it.

That's why the producers are credited as such. If they actually miked up a track (recorded), on a song that makes the album, they will get production credits. Basically that's the way I understand it. That's why Nellee Hooper was given credits on POP because some of those earlier tracks stood the duration of the recording.

ya, I think im "dreaming out loud" at this point.

U2's last 5 albums have been their tenth... depending on how you count 'em. Rolling Stone was looking to extend the streak, but this time they're really pushing it.

Back
Top Bottom