Full Metal Jacket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
Is the band just going to hold onto this song for a while and wait to release it on the NEXT album?

Bono should have never said that this was the mother of all rock tunes..

From the Full Tracklisting thread:

The Edge said:
Full Metal Jacket is there....it married another track and had a baby which is on the LP

So it apparently is on the album. Which song it is then, I don't know.

:)

Marty

My guess is it became Vertigo. I can't imagine another song that Bono would call the "mother of all rock tunes." To me, Vertigo sounds like everything Bono gets overly excited about (this is a great quality for promotion, but it can get frustrating for the rest of us).

AquariumDrinker said:
My guess is it became Vertigo. I can't imagine another song that Bono would call the "mother of all rock tunes." To me, Vertigo sounds like everything Bono gets overly excited about (this is a great quality for promotion, but it can get frustrating for the rest of us).

Yep, my guess is also that it's Vertigo. It makes total sense: it's a real rocker, it's the first single/album opener/potential show opener. I can totally see how Bono would have gotten really excited about this song, or at least a first version of it. Especially that it's now very obvious that Dalkey Beach was in fact The Edge (everything was already pointing to that, and now that Edge has confirmed there is a 'hidden instrumental track' on the album it's almost official IMO). Dalkey said FMJ/Native Son and Vertigo were in fact the same song.

I don't see why this would be a disappointing thing, Vertigo rocks!!!

Edge cleared it up in another thread. The song merged with another song and "had a child".

No chance has Full Metal Jacket been renamed to Vertigo. Hello, Hello??? The two titles for this song were FMJ and/or Native Son. These two titles have nothing to do with the lyrics in Vertigo. Absolutely no chance. They simply decided to name it something else.

boosterjuice said:
No chance has Full Metal Jacket been renamed to Vertigo. Hello, Hello??? The two titles for this song were FMJ and/or Native Son. These two titles have nothing to do with the lyrics in Vertigo. Absolutely no chance. They simply decided to name it something else.

The name "Full Metal Jacket" was a working title. It was probably called like that because it rocked hard, for all we know there was no lyrics at all for this song when they got this name, or the lyrics might have completely changed. The same could be true about Native Son.

Of course it could be another song on the album, I'm not saying it's 100% Vertigo. But there are still strong chances I think.

In any of you guys payed close attention, Dalkey Beach who many people agree to be the Edge, indeed said that
'Vertigo, Native Son and Full Metal Jacket are working titles which lead back to the same song.' He mentioned that in the long thread where the album name was announced.

So I take it that Dalkey Beach is not the Edge then? After what I said previously, and Edge confirming that Vertigo is not FMJ, Dalkey Beach isn't the Edge. (He MAY be connected to the band however).

Back
Top Bottom