From a Whisper to a Scream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babble

The Fly
I just ran across this interesting-looking documentary on Irish music from the 1950's to the present which supposedly features some old concert footage from U2 and the Virgin Prunes and also interviews with Bono, Edge, and Gavin Friday. Has anyone heard of this or seen it? Is it any good? I'm considering ordering it but its a bit expensive and I'm wondering if its worth it.

And I thought you were going to post something about the 80s British alternative band Icicle Works. But to answer your question: I don't know if it's worth it.

I own the DVD of this documentary and really enjoy it. However, it is based on the histroy of Irish music in general, so if you are buying it solely for U2 purposes I would think carefully. There are quite a few interviews with Bono and Edge about other artists and U2 is featured for about 10 minutes of the 3 hours. All in all it is a great history of Irish music. but, like I said, if it's U2 you want, you might want to think carefully before pressing on.

Peace.

------------------
Peace on Earth.

I recorded the whole thing. It's pretty long but very little about U2, though there are a few interesting points. And of course it Edge and Bono talking alot about other Irish musicians.

Can you play PAL?? If so, I could make you a copy. e-mail me: am_iceland@hotmail.com

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Hey thanks for the info and thanks for the offer AM. I had totally forgotten about this thread! Well, actually I bought this documentary on VHS a few months back, and like you all said, it really doesn't have a whole lot of U2 because it is a general overview of Irish music but I think it is wonderful and would definitely recommend it. It got me into a few other Irish artists I hadn't really known anything about before. Very interesting.

[This message has been edited by babble (edited 03-06-2002).]

Hi babble, it is being shown free to air in Australia at the moment. I feel it is a social as well as a musical history documentary.
I'm not sure how much the video of it costs, but just to have Bob Geldof describe his experience of hearing Bono's voice reach out as he watched thousands upon thousands of dying people streaming into a camp in Ethiopia, would be worth it imho.
How long ago was that Christmas? too long, too many nights thanking god it's them instead of you.
Anyway, try to cut a long story short. I think it's a brilliantly made series.Thanks to all the people who bothered to make it.

------------------
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 03-10-2002).]

Originally posted by u2utah:
Supposedly it's going to be on Bravo in the US on March 13 and 14 (possibly more they repeat things over a few times)

Just a warning to any Dish Network subscribers (me)...

Bravo has slashed programming slots. Some of the time it's Bravo, some of the time it's the Independent Film channel. I missed ALL my chances to tape the One Dollar Diary because of this.
mad.gif
At least I should be getting a tape of that soon. Anyway, beware of stupid Dish Network's programming schedules.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

isnt that from a bon jovi song???
its called i believe from kkep the faith

it goes:
i belive
you and me cn turn a whisper into a scream

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

Hi brown eyed boy, Bon Jovi probably said it too, but in this case it is a direct quote from something Sinead O'Connor says in the series. Great imho, enjoy it.

From a whisper to a scream
But don't get me wrong
Please don't leave me waitin' too long

Elvis Costello

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

Back
Top Bottom