Friend's wedding dance!!???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Good Voice

Babyface
Hi Guys, Thank The Lord Bono I finally managed to find the URL again. Upgraded the system and didn't backup my bookmarks.

D'you know how many crap U2 sites are out there? This one's kwalittayy!!!

Anyhoos, lass at work asked for my input to her wedding first waltz. Her future hubby's a U2 man but she knows I'm a bigger fan hence my ability to quote every line.

I thought the usual WOWY or One were cracking choices but the lyrics didn't meet the occasion. I suggested All I Want Is You. Outstanding song (as they all are) and very special lyrics that match the occasion. She trusts my opinion, but I'm also thinking of Velvet Dress?!!!

Any suggestions/opinions?

And it's good to be back. Luv the band and luv you guys.

One is not a wedding song, even the band can't understand why people play it at their wedding. its a dark song about hurting the people you love.

what about Beautiful Day?! otherwise stick with the more traditional all i want is you .

what about some nick cave Into my arms ??

All I Want Is You
Unchained Melody
Everlasting Love
Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)

Throw in some Bass Trap for good measure :wink:

J. Swallow's where it's at.

Alternatively, I have a wealth of death metal CDs that are sure to suit the occasion.

In A Little While. Good tempo for a slow dance, appropriate lyrics, and a generally sweet tone that'll probably make people smile. Well, except for Axver. :wink: Another good thing about it: it's not too long. In the last wedding I went to, the first dance was to "Wonderful Tonight." There was a nice little "Awwww" through the wedding party when the first notes started up, but the song is 6 1/2 minutes long. By the end of it, even the newlyweds had a sheepish look on their faces -- that's a long time to be dancing to a very slow song with a hundred pairs of eyes on you. I think All I Want Is You would make an excellent last dance, though.

You referred to it as a wedding waltz, though. Is that just a figure of speech, or are they actually doing the proper ballroom dance? I ask because waltzes are set in 3/4 (or sometimes 6/8) time, which eliminates a huge chunk of U2's catalogue.

BrownEyedBoy said:

Which one?

I'm going to say this one, well this song , but this version (sorry, Ive been drinking).

IF IF I ever marry, I really dont care what else is played, or how the whole thing is done, except for I will insist on this song and one other. There are many versions, I like this version, but I'd disregard the video as I'd probably want this as a mostly solo dance:wink: :reject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE6j8eF9pXo&mode=related&search=

Last edited:
Well, building on Allanah's comments, if it's a true waltz your after, All I Want Is You isn't going to work; it's in 4/4. Unchained Melody (even though it's not really U2) might be your best bet.

Beautiful Day was played at mine. It wasn't our first dance, no way would my wife let us have a U2 song for our first dance:) To be honest there aren't many U2 songs that fit the mood. Most of their love songs are dark and twisted, though this may be a more honest approach-take on relationships but you don't want to start out with a song about that!! Wild Honey is the most upbeat but it's not really a song you could waltz too :)

My Fiancee and I will be having All I Want is You from Slane Castle as our second song. Our first is "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman by Bryan Adams. Neither are traditional tempos, but screw tradition. I'm not marrying tradition, I'm doing what I want.

Back
Top Bottom