Fricken A - this album is AMAZING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with those who call this album U2's third masterpiece. I think I like it just a bit better than JT myself.

And in time, there is a chance that I'll even grow to like this album better than AB...and as AB is my favorite all-time album, that's really saying a lot!

Dalton, you crazy mofo, now you say that it's the best and in other thread started by you, you say that it's Jt 2, that it sucks

I think he was being a bit sarcastic with the other thread. For me This album is top 3 for sure-Below Achtung Baby and either just below or just above JT

I really love this album but it still seems like more of a collection of songs to me. By trying to cover all this different musical territory, there's a lack of cohesion.

What's odd is that there's not one song on here I don't like. But the problem with running through all the old styles is that you don't have a clear new one. It doesn't really have anything to do with innovation, or a lack thereof, but rather of FOCUS. It's an improvement on the last album not in terms of composition but in excecution. But it still shares ATYLCB's "collection" problem. For those of you who are R.E.M. fans, it reminds me a lot of New Adventures in Hi-Fi, which has so many great songs, but it's a messy album.

That's why I'm EXTREMELY reluctant to use the "masterpiece" word. Zooropa and POP might not be either (this is surely debatable), but what The Joshua Tree and AB have in common is that the songs are very solid AND form a very clear whole.

laz

I think its better then the over rated Joshua Tree myself as an entire piece of work the only think Joshua Tree has over it is the collective idea of the songs as a complete work seems to be structured more clearly.

Back
Top Bottom