Forget Pop, what about October?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:

im sorry but have you seen the lyrics for Is that All?

"To sing this song makes me angry
I'm not angry with you
Is that all
Is that all

To sing this song makes me happy
I'm not happy with you
Is that all

To sing this song makes me dance
Is that all
Is that all
Is that all
Is that all you want from me
Is that all
Is that all"

im sorry but ths could be u2's worst song of all time, terrrrible lyrics and a stolen riff.

i like the first 7 songs on the album, but the last 4 are pretty much fillers to complete the album

Is That All is my second favourite track off the album, so I need to defend it.

I don't really see what is so bad about the lyrics. Indeed, there is very little variation in the words, and the use of imagery and metaphors is non-existent.

But the questions that Is That All pose are ones that I, and many others, confront daily.

"IS THAT ALL YOU WANT FROM ME?
IS THAT ALL
IS THAT ALL
IS THAT ALL"

The constant hammering forward of this question makes it sound almost like a plea, a very familiar plea. You do a certain task, you say a certain phrase, you act a certain way. Is That All there is to life.

In line with the religiously themed nature of the October album, Bono is asking this question to God. He lives happily, he lives angrily. Is this all God wants? He is happy with God, he is Angry with God. Is this Ok with God.

It's a splendidly twisted lyric that is deliciously intriguing.

When Bono sings the song he is happy, but he is not necessarilly overwhelmingly happy, for he is not happy with "you."

When Bono sings that he is angry, he is not necessarilly overwhelmingly angry, for he is not angry with "you."

Every Rose has it's thorn....

Nothing can be taken at face value. For every sad face there is a light at the end of tunnel, and for the "happy-go-lucky" person, there is almost certainly something which troubles them.

Lyrically, Is That All does more for me than many of the more popular and critically acclaimed lyrics from The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. It makes me think about the lyric more.

Cracking tune. I agree that Scarlet is filler, but I think With a Shout and Stranger in a Strange Land are not worthy of such an undermining.

Hot Bono said:

well, it COULD be U2's worst song of all time.. but it's not... that honor goes to Miami... :wink:

No, it goes to one of Deep in the Heart, Love Rescue Me, Grace and Red Light

intedomine said:

Deep in the Heart isn't horrible... but the other 3, i'll agree are on my Worst 10 U2 song list... along with Miami, of course.

intedomine said:

I agree with both of you. All those songs are pretty bad. But Miami really does hurt my ears. Bono screaming just doesn't do it for me :no:

Aygo said:
Deep in the heart and Grace are beautiful songs. And Love rescue me is cool too. I like them more than Playboy Mansion, SDABTO or Elvis&America...

I used to think EP & America was a pointless song... But over time, i grew to appreciate it... And knowing that it was done in just one take, there's a certain beauty there... But yeah, Playboy Mansion and SDABTO are really, really dumb songs... :yes:

gareth brown said:
Is That All? is one of the best on there dammit!
sorry, i gotta go with chizip on this one :wink:

gareth brown said:
Haha what the hell are you running for?! Don't be afraid to state solid fact just because you're worried a bunch of elitists are going to come in and try and convince you a hollow, mismatched unfinished album is better than one of U2's best albums! :up:
it's solid fact, huh? i didn't know a scientific study had finally been done on U2 albums to determine their rankings :hmm:

i do like october though. i'd say it's definitely their most underrated album. although if we're going to continue to compare it to pop, i prefer pop over october. sorry :)

intedomine said:

Is That All is my second favourite track off the album, so I need to defend it.

I don't really see what is so bad about the lyrics. Indeed, there is very little variation in the words, and the use of imagery and metaphors is non-existent.

But the questions that Is That All pose are ones that I, and many others, confront daily.

"IS THAT ALL YOU WANT FROM ME?
IS THAT ALL
IS THAT ALL
IS THAT ALL"

The constant hammering forward of this question makes it sound almost like a plea, a very familiar plea. You do a certain task, you say a certain phrase, you act a certain way. Is That All there is to life.

In line with the religiously themed nature of the October album, Bono is asking this question to God. He lives happily, he lives angrily. Is this all God wants? He is happy with God, he is Angry with God. Is this Ok with God.

It's a splendidly twisted lyric that is deliciously intriguing.

When Bono sings the song he is happy, but he is not necessarilly overwhelmingly happy, for he is not happy with "you."

When Bono sings that he is angry, he is not necessarilly overwhelmingly angry, for he is not angry with "you."

Every Rose has it's thorn....

Nothing can be taken at face value. For every sad face there is a light at the end of tunnel, and for the "happy-go-lucky" person, there is almost certainly something which troubles them.

Very good analogy! Scarlet could be a filler but I love that song!

I've always loved October, and I'm a big fan of the lyrics and the energy. It's a great, great album.

KhanadaRhodes said:
it's solid fact, huh? i didn't know a scientific study had finally been done on U2 albums to determine their rankings :hmm:

"Zing." Anyone with a fully-operational pair of ears can tell :wink:

allbecauseofu2 said:
The dam album didn't even get a track on the best of realy. A unlisted track at the end.

I just found this out the other day. Didn't know there was a hidden track on there. Not surprised it was October though. Anyways, while I like October a lot, it still ranks towards the bottom of my U2 album ranking list. U2 just has too many great albums.

Back
Top Bottom