Forbes Top 100 Celebrities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
False, Bono should be number 1.

Bono is best.

Bono... bears... beets... Battlestar Galactica.

I forgot, I shouldn't joke about something not relating to Bono and mention Bono in the same sentence.

My apologies.

LemonMacPhisto said:
False, Bono should be number 1.

Bono is best.

Bono... bears... beets... Battlestar Galactica.

Bears do not beat-

What's going on?

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

I like gummy bears. :drool:

I thought Bono might be on the list separately too - after all, he has various business adventures, U2's income (the end of the tour last year brought $$ and "18 Singles" sold rather well worldwide, despite being an unnecessary greatest hits release), and, of course, his near non-stop appearance in the spot light (actually more than many of the stars on that list!).

It wouldn't surprise me if Bono's contribution alone is the reason why U2 are so high. What were then in '06 when the tour made boatloads of $$?

Probably because these lists are mostly guess work based on whats in the public domain. It's relatively easy to figure out what U2 Inc. might have earned and spent based on ticket gross and album sales, but virtually no way of figuring out what each individual member actually does with it. Edge may have invested way better than the others and truly be worth twice as much as the other 3 combined. Maybe Larry gives 80% of it away. Maybe Adam throws it all away on a team of naked supermodels who cut his grass with scissors every day just for his enjoyment.

Athletes contracts, television/film personalities fees and production deals etc - all relatively easy information to obtain. But no easy way of figuring out what their true worth is as there's virtually no way of figuring out what they do with it once they have it.

Earnie Shavers said:
Maybe Adam throws it all away on a team of naked supermodels who cut his grass with scissors every day just for his enjoyment.

I did that once. Not as fun and sexy as it sounds...

I think U2 should be in the top 10, right behind the Stones. I mean, Bon Jovi and Jay-Z are before them, and Celine Dion - WTF?!?!
But Forbes lists are always a bit weird.

last unicorn said:
I think U2 should be in the top 10, right behind the Stones. I mean, Bon Jovi and Jay-Z are before them, and Celine Dion - WTF?!?!

The list is heavily biased towards income in a given year. As Bon Jovi and Celine toured or gave more performances in '06 than U2, they made more $$. As a result, that pushed them up on the list, even if neither are in the news nearly as much.

This is why I wanted to know U2's rank in '06. They had to be in the Top 10 then.

last unicorn said:

well... how bon jovi got in there, i do not know... but celine gets paid a kings ransom for her vegas show, and jay-z is the CEO of a major recording label.

frankly to have u2 in the top 25 in a year in which they've done next to nothing is fairlly impressive on it's own, and should not really be poo pooed upon

last unicorn said:

:shrug: I've heard that Jay-Z is worth a ton of cash.

jay-z is the boss of such recording artists as ashanti, beastie boys, dmx, funkmaster flex, fabolous, the isley brothers, ja rule, kanye west, ll cool j, ludacris, method man, nas, patti labelle, public enemy, rhianna, slayer, the roots and of course jay-z himself... it may not be everyone on a u2 board's cup of tea, but those are some of the biggest recording artists around.

there is no poo pooing of jay-z as far as his influence goes... in fact he should probably even be a bit higher. i mean heck... jay-z is an executive for the company (def jam is in the universal umbrella) that owns u2's recording rights.

Does wealth automatically equal impact?
I thought this list was about influence, not wealth.
Good for Celine that she's worth a lot of cash, but how influential is this woman really outside her Vegas show? I don't see her around that much.

considering that Forbes is a financial magazine (one which also happens to be at least partialy owned by Bono himself)

To generate the list, Forbes analyzes celebrity earnings, plus media metrics like Google hits, press mentions as compiled by Lexis/Nexis, TV/radio mentions from Factiva and the number of times an A-lister appears on the cover of 32 major consumer magazines

In addition to being #22 on the list overall, U2 is ranked #6 - web, #11-press, and #46-TV.

Back
Top Bottom