For those who have not read U2 BY U2, here's a little excerpt...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: For those who have not read U2 BY U2, here's a little excerpt...

Utoo said:

The whole idea of "selling out" is a bullshit concept created by skinny, white anti-establishment punks in thrift-store clothes who need some angle to rebel against who and what are currently popular.

:up:

Earnie Shavers said:

Haha... did you read the next line where I said "I don't think they're doing that"? I said if they WERE doing that, simply turning past success into a standard formula for all future success, THEN they're taking you/me/us for a ride. It would be very easy for U2 to realise song after song, album after album, to that 'classic' formula, with a 'new' shine over the top, and comfortably sell shitloads, sweep Grammys, play to sold out stadiums. But I don't think any of us want that.

I did read it...it was interesting because I was under the impression this was your biggest beef with Bomb. That it was rehashing of past U2 era(s) to make more cash after, apparently, Pop not selling enough.

Utoo said:

The whole idea of "selling out" is a bullshit concept created by skinny, white anti-establishment punks in thrift-store clothes who need some angle to rebel against who and what are currently popular.

Yep

Originally posted by Utoo The whole idea of "selling out" is a bullshit concept created by skinny, white anti-establishment punks in thrift-store clothes who need some angle to rebel against who and what are currently popular.
Oh please, it's time to kill this cliché that Bono keeps repeating interview after interview, Diana Ross was considered as a sell out because her songs were not political but only soft music to entertain masses. And bluesmen have this problem too. And Jazzmen still have a problem with mainstream music. This concept of "selling out" is older than Mc Laren and not limited to white skinny rockers.
Bono and U2 decided to be more on tv with the purpose to sell more records, they don't need to pretend that they were trying to make 'enslaved white rock music' free.
And it's the same thing with their IPod deal, stop pretending that "it is the greatest piece of pop art", you just sign a contract with Apple to promote their new product and your new single, that's all. Don't be so ashamed my friends.

Re: Re: Re: For those who have not read U2 BY U2, here's a little excerpt...

guill said:
Diana Ross was considered as a sell out because her songs were not political but only soft music to entertain masses.

:huh:

Did anyone expect her to be anything different? Just because Marvin Gaye went political, the rest of the Motown family was supposed to follow?

Diana Ross never sang anything BUT "soft music to entertain the masses." How is that selling out if she'd been doing that all along?

Does Bono say everything's punk rock?

Seriously, what the hell does that even mean?

Re: Re: Re: For those who have not read U2 BY U2, here's a little excerpt...

guill said:

Oh please, it's time to kill this cliché that Bono keeps repeating interview after interview, Diana Ross was considered as a sell out because her songs were not political but only soft music to entertain masses. And bluesmen have this problem too. And Jazzmen still have a problem with mainstream music. This concept of "selling out" is older than Mc Laren and not limited to white skinny rockers.
Bono and U2 decided to be more on tv with the purpose to sell more records, they don't need to pretend that they were trying to make 'enslaved white rock music' free.
And it's the same thing with their IPod deal, stop pretending that "it is the greatest piece of pop art", you just sign a contract with Apple to promote their new product and your new single, that's all. Don't be so ashamed my friends.

I think you missed the whole point of that post. The point is the old "selling out" line itself is a BS concept for the most part. Who cares where the line came from. What it really does is make it easy to pigeon hole or put down something a particular person or organization doesnt like about what an artist/person are doing. They know they can say that and not really have to explain themselves and still sound like they are elite and above it all. Its really almost musical facism or elitism when you think about it. Something is popular or someone makes money off of it, they are a sellout. BS! I think a person acting superior by using that line is worse than being pigeon holed with the "selling out" line itself.

On that note I'm not even sure why I read this thread. I knew it would be the same old negative shit about U2. People are obviously bored and have to resort to starting these type of threads I guess. I prefer people bitching about setlists! :wink: At least there is something concrete to talk about there.

Back
Top Bottom