? for Pop fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
I seem to see so many saying how Pop is their favorite U2 album and and Popmart tour their favorite tour. I love the album and popmart but they are not my favorites. I would put JT, Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, and UF ahead of Pop. My question is, for those that Pop is your favorite, when did you become a U2 fan? And those of you who say it was your favorite tour, how was it better than ZooTV? What did Pop have that ZOOTV didn't ? I'm just wondering if this is an age thing, or maybe Pop was your first real exposure to U2. Dont misunderstand me, I think its a great album , but i'm just a little suprised so many see to have it as there favorite here.

Well, I don't list it as my favorite, but its third after JT and AB. I think for me it was partially because I didn't become a fan until late 1998, and I didn't pick up POP until the following summer. I guess I wasn't affected much by any bad reviews, since by then the backlash had long since passed. Also my interest in techno/dance music helped me get into the album more.

Obviously, I didn't see Popmart, but judging on what I've heard, I think I would have preferred to see ZooTV over Popmart.

I must admit in polls before I've said Pop was my fave but really it isn't. I merely have a special place for it in my heart cos I love it to bits. It's like the under-dog, many people attack it, many say it was a HUGE mistake in U2's career, and a big fat booger on their record listing. So naturally those of us who love it are gonna stick up for it and sometimes go a bit overboard in our support.

I was converted/baptised into U2dom true Pop/Popmart when I was 15:D Back then, and til about '99 I thought it was the best album of all time. I'd put AB ahead of it definitely now, but ATYCLB and JT only beat it on certain days for me.
Tour wise, it was my first U2 gig, and first EVER gig of any sort, so it meant so much to me, blew me away. I dunno, I think it is better than Zoo TV, even up to this day. The songs, the performance, the show, everything. I just loved it to bits. Zoo TV was superb, maybe if it comes out on DVD I will appreciate it even more, but Popmart is my fav

Oh, and is this Pop week or what?:D

hello jp :)

AB is my fave, POP being my second. Now for the answers to your questions.

When did I become a U2 fan? 1985, with Live Aid and U2?s astonishing performance. Note that I was a grown up already.

Why Popmart is the best tour for me? Simple, it was the only one I had the opportunity to attend, they never came to my country before, neither brought their extremely successful Elevation tour. South Americans have been negleted for ages, unfortunetaly. The only exception was Popmart. We packed the damn stadiums in all 7 concerts they played in Brasil, Argentina and Chile. It seems that it was not enough though.

That said, I cannot answer your 3rd question for absolute lack of conditions to establish a fair comparison.

Last, I don?t think you need to be young to love POP, I?m 41 and have loved POP since its release. Some of the songs from POP tell me much more than, lets say, others from JT. All I can say is that I never idealised them, or their image, or the way they should look, or act, or dance, or play, or whatever...all I have always expected from them is integrity, talent and belief in what they were doing. I don?t feel the lack of any of those three elements in POP.

I'm 24 years old, became a fan when I was 9 in 1987. I love POP, and have since 1998 when I bought it (I was working and going to school in '97 so I kinda missed the initial hoopla). I put it maybe 5th on my all time U2 list, behind AB, War, Zooropa, and ATYCLB. (Yes, JT is 6th.)

As for wanting to see POPMart, I came close to seeing it but didn't. I wish I had now, of course, but after viewing the video many times and having had the actual experience of witnessing Zoo Tv in the flesh, I would still go to Zoo Tv.

I don't care what all the POP bashers say, POP is the most awesome "unfinished" album I've ever heard. :tongue:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I don't care what all the POP bashers say, POP is the most awesome "unfinished" album I've ever heard. :tongue:
unfinished ???
where's the tar and feathers

Pop is not my favorite, but I do love it very much. I became a fan in '95 (when I was 13). I had almost 2 years to collect all of U2's albums before Pop came out. But Pop was my first new album experience. Obviously then, the PopMart Tour was my first U2 tour. But that still isn't the reason I love it so much. I just do. To me, it's a kick ass album...I love it!

POP is my third favorite album after AB and JT. It just edges out ATYCLB and UF. Why? Not only is the music great, but with POP for me it's the lyrics. Mofo, gone, Please, Wake up Dead Man, Do you Feel Loved, SATS..... etc...... The lyrics are just SO damn good. I also feel that POP only falters a little for me with Miami and Playboy. Where ATYCLB and UF have more weak tracks (although the great tracks are a bit better than on POP) So it's pretty close but consistency and lyrics are what does it for me.

Popmart was incredible. The only dissapointment for me was the somewhat low attendance at a couple of the shows. It takes away from the energy. But just having the Please into STreets part, and them playing HMTMKMKM, puts that tour in a special place in my heart. Still enjoyed ZooTV and Elevation more though.

While POP is not my favorite album (it's 3rd behind Zooropa and Achtung Baby), I still stick up for POP when people get on it's case. I am 19 and became a U2 fan in 1994 right when Zoo TV was winding down. I confess I did vote that I thought POPmart was their best tour and that it's the one I'd like to see the most. I saw Elevation 3 times and as much as I'd love to see a Zoo TV show, I've just always been drawn to what they did and what they looked like during the POP period. Maybe I've just got bad fashion sense :wink: ,who knows? Anyway, POP has always been special to me ever since I bought it. I still shamlessly plug POP when I dj parties in Orlando. MoFo and Do You Feel Loved are in my heavy rotation. Viva la POP!

jphelmet said:
I seem to see so many saying how Pop is their favorite U2 album and and Popmart tour their favorite tour. I love the album and popmart but they are not my favorites. I would put JT, Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, and UF ahead of Pop. My question is, for those that Pop is your favorite, when did you become a U2 fan? And those of you who say it was your favorite tour, how was it better than ZooTV? What did Pop have that ZOOTV didn't ? I'm just wondering if this is an age thing, or maybe Pop was your first real exposure to U2. Dont misunderstand me, I think its a great album , but i'm just a little suprised so many see to have it as there favorite here.

My head hurts! :scream:

Oh, well...Here I go again...

AB is my favorite album, October #2, and POP #3. I am 20 years old and my first U2 concert was in Chicago during the Popmart Tour. I was 15.

I think I will always have a soft spot for POP and Popmart because it was my first show. I think there's just something about your very first U2 show...For example, my mom's first was in 1992 with ZooTv, and although she was in the nosebleed section and we've been a lot closer than that since, I have a feeling ZooTv will always be her favorite.

I was expecting a big, bald Bono head!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: Ooops, I forgot, I'm not in PLEBA!! As u were...

Last edited:
I've defended POP to the death. I love it. I like AB better, though. POPMart was cool, but Elevation and ZooTV were better. I guess the difference was that Zoo and 'vation were in arenas. I could actually see Bono.

I never get tired of Pop!!
Its not my absolute favorite, but sometimes I don't think I have a fave anyway.
I think Pop is better than AB on a lot of days!

It just as the most clever lyrics and song construction.
I mean, it is U2's most rocking blood-pumping album. You should see me in my apartment singing along and fraking out. It just gets me so pumped up.
and it doesn't do that by that Limp Bizkuit type metal either, it pumps me up in another way, its hard to explain. The way the songs build is amazing.,

A true work of art!

CatDubh said:
I was expecting a big, bald Bono head!!!!!!!!!!!!

bono_096.jpg

Back
Top Bottom