For football fans - WC groups are in, give your's team profile and expectation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When was the last time someone died from a hit in football? This past summer 1 pro and 3 or 4 college/high school players died but they were all heat related. There have been a few pro players paralyzed over the years (Utley and Stingley to name 2) but I don't remember anyone that died from a hit in my lifetime(32 years). By the way, I don't think people dying makes it a better sport.

Originally posted by MusicalJourneyman:
When was the last time someone died from a hit in football? This past summer 1 pro and 3 or 4 college/high school players died but they were all heat related. There have been a few pro players paralyzed over the years (Utley and Stingley to name 2) but I don't remember anyone that died from a hit in my lifetime(32 years). By the way, I don't think people dying makes it a better sport.

Hmm, well I believe you may be right. I don't recall any deaths, certainly at the pro level. But paralysis and long term problems have occured more often. I just remembered last week being 10 years since Utley was injured, actually. It's still sad.

And I agree that people dying does not a good sport make. My favorite sport is baseball, and as far as I know, in 130 years, only one player has ever died as a direct result of an injury.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Foxxern:
My favorite sport is baseball, and as far as I know, in 130 years, only one player has ever died as a direct result of an injury.

Was it of boredom?
wink.gif

I'm from Canada, where we're something like the 75th ranked soccer nation in the world. It's sad to realize that even if they DOUBLED the World Cup field, we still wouldn't get in.

And who's badmouthing baseball?? Watch the World Series again and try to say with a straight face and baseball is boring.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by rougerum:
they kick the ball on punt offs and kick offs silly, as for soccer, easily the sport i choose when wanting to take a nap. America got some sense when not having soccer as the number one sport.

~rougerum

So in summary, America is right, the majority of the world is wrong... that's the kind of attitude that's got us in this mess in the first place
smile.gif

Originally posted by PopFly:

And who's badmouthing baseball?? Watch the World Series again and try to say with a straight face and baseball is boring.

Actually I never once said it with a straight face...I have my winking smilie there.

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
Where's U2girl? Slovenia actually have a chance of qualifying to the second round!

I'm here. Well, i think our group is ok, not very hard, yet not extremely easy either.

We got Spain, Paraguay and South Africa.

Even though Spain and Paraguay are among the strongest teams in the world, there are no unbeatable teams. Plus, we didn't lose a game in the last 12 matches in the qualifiers-not to mention we will play with Zahovic and Knavs.
South Africa is the biggest "mystery" among those teams, i don't think we've ever played them before.

We'll see what happens.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-03-2001).]

Originally posted by speedracer:
They definitely don't get hit as hard in rugby or Australian football as they do in American football. The hardest hits don't come from the humongous linemen, they come from the linebackers and safeties running full speed into a ballcarrier.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 12-02-2001).]

Did you ever watch rugby or australian football? They get kicked more that players in US football - and they don't wear no protection.
I think that football rules in US realy sucks - time is counting down so the referee is excluded, the all filosophy of the game is diferent. As i experienced, the americans can not imagine a draw. So they can't enjoy a game that ends 0:0. They have to have big numbers...
Football rules, it's the biggest everywhere except the US, adn that's fine, they don't even cheer the same way we europeans or Latin americans do.

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Originally posted by Marko:
Did you ever watch rugby or australian football? They get kicked more that players in US football - and they don't wear no protection.

I'm sorry. I was under the assumption that keeping your body parts on was good. Maybe they don't feel that way in other countries, which I suppose is just one of those cultural differences.

I think that football rules in US realy sucks - time is counting down so the referee is excluded, the all filosophy of the game is diferent.

The referee is excluded? Well in a game where it often comes down to the final second, you have to have an exact knowledge of how much time is left, not some reasonable estimate on a sign held up by a guy on the sideline. In American football, everyone always knows exactly how much time is left. I don't see how that difference makes it inferior.

As i experienced, the americans can not imagine a draw. So they can't enjoy a game that ends 0:0. They have to have big numbers...
Football rules, it's the biggest everywhere except the US, adn that's fine, they don't even cheer the same way we europeans or Latin americans do.

Have you ever been to an American football game--in America? Do you have any idea how loud it gets or how much the crowd is into it? Just about the same amount as in Europe. The difference is that we don't have regular fatal riots. I think we can live with that. We don't have to have big numbers, but we like to have a game with a winner. The idea of a draw never appealed to us--again, so what?

I like soccer and I like football. I really don't see the point in deriding a sport because you don't understand/like it. I still watch all the US national team soccer games, and I cheer just as loudly as any European cheers for their team. If we have other sports here as well, that just means that we have different sporting niches to fill for various people. We're a very diverse nation, and nowhere is that more seen than in our sporting preferences. Take your pick from football, baseball, basketball, soccer, hockey, stock car racing, indy car racing, and so on.

Soccer is much bigger here than a lot of people give it credit for, and if you think US soccer is weak, you haven't been watching our team at full strength. We have something to prove, and we're the underdogs.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by rougerum:
they kick the ball on punt offs and kick offs silly, as for soccer, easily the sport i choose when wanting to take a nap. America got some sense when not having soccer as the number one sport.

~rougerum

So you're saying the rest of the world is wrong for enjoying football (or soccer)?

And i guess baseball or American football are the best sports ever?

ps: have you watched a game of "american" football the way (for example) Australians play it? No protection, which makes it a lot tougher to play.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-03-2001).]

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Have you ever been to an American football game--in America? Do you have any idea how loud it gets or how much the crowd is into it? Just about the same amount as in Europe. The difference is that we don't have regular fatal riots. I think we can live with that. We don't have to have big numbers, but we like to have a game with a winner. The idea of a draw never appealed to us--again, so what?

I like soccer and I like football. I really don't see the point in deriding a sport because you don't understand/like it. I still watch all the US national team soccer games, and I cheer just as loudly as any European cheers for their team. If we have other sports here as well, that just means that we have different sporting niches to fill for various people. We're a very diverse nation, and nowhere is that more seen than in our sporting preferences. Take your pick from football, baseball, basketball, soccer, hockey, stock car racing, indy car racing, and so on.

Soccer is much bigger here than a lot of people give it credit for, and if you think US soccer is weak, you haven't been watching our team at full strength. We have something to prove, and we're the underdogs.

I'm not saying that I'm for violence in sport, but when someone goes macho by saying "our guys get more injuries", and that's not true, than I have to react...

The draw thing - it shows the diference of the way we think. Footbal in europe, L.America and Asia is more than just a game, so when they would want to change the rules, alter the way of taking penalties, it would couse a major protests. And the mistakes that referee is making - it's just a part of the game, the thing that stirrs our emotions...
The hooligans - i hate them too.
I don't like baseball, I don't like cricket, but I like to watch US football. The only thing that anoys me is that it's all under this tv pressure - games are paused for comercials and stuff like that
As for the strenght of your team - good luck, but I think that it will be a small miracle for you to go to second round. Now don't get me wrong - this is not antiamerican thinking, I just think that you have no chance agains Portugal and Poland, so good luck to youo once again.

Hey U2girl, we'll see you and your Slovenian superstars in the second round
biggrin.gif

Winner group E Vs Runner up Group B

Or the other way around, would be a great match!

American football will never be exciting as it has too many breaks, thats the sign of a bad soccer match, when the play stops and isn't allowed to flow. Usually it doesn't happen like that, but in American Football that is what it is all about. So for that reason mainly, and the fact that I think it is totally crap anyway IMHO soccer is far better.
There is even a chance cricket is more exciting than baseball and american football
eek.gif

Originally posted by Marko:

As for the strenght of your team - good luck, but I think that it will be a small miracle for you to go to second round. Now don't get me wrong - this is not antiamerican thinking, I just think that you have no chance agains Portugal and Poland, so good luck to youo once again.

I agree that Portugal will be difficult, but I honestly think that we have a good chance against South Korea and Poland. Before our entire midfield and frontline was injured, we were breezing through qualifying. Now I know that Mexico and Costa Rica may not be as good as South Korea and Poland, but I don't think they are THAT much better. I admit, though, that I haven't seen Poland play recently (games are so hard to find on American TV).

The US is getting better, with some very talented young players like Donovan and Beasly. We have a few solid European club players, and MLS is not the joke that it once was. I don't expect anything more than the 2nd round, but in future years, I think the US could go much farther.

Originally posted by lazyboy:

American football will never be exciting as it has too many breaks, thats the sign of a bad soccer match, when the play stops and isn't allowed to flow.

Stoppages of play after every down allow both teams to call plays. This makes American football much more strategically and tactically complex than soccer, and possibly more complex than any sport in the history of mankind. In comparison, soccer is much more a game of improvisation. This is not to say that soccer is inferior, but just to point out a particular virtue that is unique to American football and completely unappreciated by those ignorant of the sport.

But since this was supposed to be a thread about the World Cup, there should be some World Cup content in this post. In that vein, I will mention that the US is ranked 2nd in its group in the FIFA rankings, behind Portugal but ahead of Poland and South Korea. Not sure if that means anything though.

Originally posted by speedracer:
Question for US soccer fans...Kasey Keller or Brad Friedel?

Definitely Kasey! Don't get me wrong...Friedel is an an excellent goalkeeper, but I alot more confidence in Kasey.

------------------
"She is the avalanche...She is the thunder....She is the waves...And she pulls me under..."

"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*
Adam's Press Secretary/Personal Assistant

Originally posted by lazyboy:
Hey U2girl, we'll see you and your Slovenian superstars in the second round
biggrin.gif

Winner group E Vs Runner up Group B

Or the other way around, would be a great match!

American football will never be exciting as it has too many breaks, thats the sign of a bad soccer match, when the play stops and isn't allowed to flow. Usually it doesn't happen like that, but in American Football that is what it is all about. So for that reason mainly, and the fact that I think it is totally crap anyway IMHO soccer is far better.
There is even a chance cricket is more exciting than baseball and american football
eek.gif

Yeah, Slovenia realy has a good chance to go through to 2nd round, but I think that Ireland and Slovenia will be 2nd in their groups, so that way you can't meet.

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Back
Top Bottom