For anyone who went to a Zooropa show...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommycharles

War Child
(Here, look, not an appreciation/ranking/game thread)

What was the Magness act like? I've got u2live sitting here and it doesn't really explain much apart from the fake u2 members with giant heads (and a giant cigarette, apparently)....what was this act? Was it a good idea?

Also...how did Bono come on to the stage pre-Zooropa? Did the lift still bring him up doing the Fly kick? Or did he just walk on, or what?

Thanks for any answers...ZooTV is by far my favorite tour judging by the bootlegs, but that's often a completely different experience to being in the audience.

T

all ive got is the u2live book aswell but i think it explains Macnass (spelling?) pretty well...didnt they put on some sort of anti-facist play before the show, im just remember waht ive read so that might not be precisely accurate, but thats the feeling i get when i remember reading about them. (and no, i never went to a Zooropa show...i was 6 at the time!)

I saw them at the Dublin concerts (I still have photos that someone else took). I don't remember too much about it, but I don't think they did much, bowed and nodded and posed. The Bono guy strutted and acted full of himself, oh yeah and there was a nurse with a big needle that tried to give one of them a shot. Oh, well, old age! Maybe someone else remembers more details.

Bono still did the kicks in front of the TV screen like usual. I love that bit, and the opening screen bit was changed too

tommycharles said:
What was the Magness act like? I've got u2live sitting here and it doesn't really explain much apart from the fake u2 members with giant heads (and a giant cigarette, apparently)....what was this act? Was it a good idea?

The first Zooropa concert (Rotterdam, 9 May 1993) was my very first U2 show. It was also 12 years ago, so I don't remember that much from it anymore. From what I can remember, the Macnass act was a bit amusing, but nothing more than that. I don't know if much of the audience really cared. It was U2's idea to make Zoo TV more of a performance art show than just a rock concert, but I think this wasn't one of its most succesful outlets.

Also...how did Bono come on to the stage pre-Zooropa? Did the lift still bring him up doing the Fly kick? Or did he just walk on, or what?

With the outdoor concerts (thus, Zoo TV Outside, Zooropa, Zoomerang, etc.) Bono appeared with the lift. I once saw some video from the indoor legs and there he walked onstage, but walked to one of the big screens and started doing his performance there.

From what I remember, from one of the Dublin shows, Macnass just walked back and forward along the ramp to the mini stage and pulled exagerrated U2 photo poses. I think it may have been before the support and U2. I think, while the stadium was filling up, they also walked around the standing area.

I also saw one of the indoor shows and Bono walked on first and did that accapela bit, he sometimes did before Zoo Station.

Sorry, my memory is a bit hazy too.

Back
Top Bottom