For all those using the term: "the last 2 albums"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bathiu

Refugee
STOP IT!!!

Those albums are totaly diferent.
I hate ATYCLB, I love HTDAAB.

[personal opinion]ATYCLB is pop, cold, made with machine-perfection, emotionless... the sound is too compressed, clear
(yes, but) claustrophobic, there's no U2 "soundscapes", no space in this music... it's shit (production of the album).[/personal opinion]

[fact]HTDAAB is 100% opposite of the above.[/fact]

Please, don't say "Why do you hate/love the last two albums"... or other shit...
HTDAAB is NOT ATYCLB part2.
I wouldn't be here if it was ATYCLBpart2 (2 crap albums in a row and they're out:wink:)

:|

Last edited:
bathiu said:
ATYCLB is pop, cold, made with machine-perfection, emotionless... the sound is too compressed, clear
(yes, but) claustrophobic, there's no U2 "soundscapes", no space in this music... it's shit.
Please don't present your personal opinion as fact. I happen to like ATYCLB.

I usually refer to the "last 3 albums" instead of the last 2. I might use that phrase in a sentence like, "The last 3 albums give us a grasp of the diverse talent of U2, and displays their ability to write awe inspiring tunes."

Well, I thinkyou were too drastic and dramatic with this post, but in fact, I have to agree that there is tones of people here making the last two albums as HTDAAB of a continuation of ATYCLB.

I disagree that ATYCLB is shit! For God's sake! Ok, it is not on my top5 albums but I really like that album, it is very well-conceived and it is plenty of great and beautiful tunes.

About HTDAAB, I think I left my opinion about this album too many times, what makes me sad is that lots of radical-opinion fans do not like this album, and can't accept the band's phase in its career. Ok, by the time of Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop, lots of fans turned their noses too, but probably those fans are now making statements like "Pop is U2's masterpiece!"
HTDAAB (even if it is very catchy, too produced, too well-thought, with its failures that you all re-invented) is U2's most complete album, and that's why its my favourite one. And yes, I prefer an album with a too perfect production, in spite of bad-production / incomplete lyrics / incoherent songs (I refer to the alternate versions).

I don't need U2 to make another Zooropa, or another UF, or remake POP. I like U2 for what they are,

So, I appeal to you to think about it and stop bashing this or that or stop creating non-sense threads wher people tries to have a great opinion, but that only says shit. We've got to accept the others' personal tastes... That's why this thread makes sense...

Props, Bathiu!:wink: :wave:

2Hearts said:
I usually refer to the "last 3 albums" instead of the last 2. I might use that phrase in a sentence like, "The last 3 albums give us a grasp of the diverse talent of U2, and displays their ability to write awe inspiring tunes."
I think the title of the thread is maybe misleading...
I just don't like putting those 2 albums in the same bag of "post 1999 U2 is crap" (only ATYCLB is)... that's all.

bathiu said:
STOP IT!!!

ATYCLB is pop, cold, made with machine-perfection, emotionless... the sound is too compressed, clear
(yes, but) claustrophobic, there's no U2 "soundscapes", no space in this music... it's shit.

HTDAAB is 100% opposite of the above.

Please, don't say "Why do you hate/love the last two albums"... or other shit...
I wouldn't be here if it was ATYCLBpart2 (2 crap albums in a row and they're out:wink:)

Pretty much agree with that.

Whilst I wouldn't go as far to say that ATYCLB was shit, I was dissapointed with it, only a handful of songs that I really liked (Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk on, Kite and The Ground Beneath Her Feet).

However, HTDAAB is much better than ATYCLB, theres only one song Im not too keen on it (One step closer) but even that song isn't terrible.

Aygo said:

I disagree that ATYCLB is shit! For God's sake! Ok, it is not on my top5 albums but I really like that album, it is very well-conceived and it is plenty of great and beautiful tunes.
:yikes: ...and another mistake...:(
I meant the production of that album is a huge shit...
I actualy like some songs live or in 'acoustic version' (like 'Stuck in a moment') or "new mix' (like Walk On single version)

Last edited:
I will continue lumping them together - the reason being that I think they're both good albums, but neither is even close to what I believe U2 are capable of.

Re: Re: For all those using the term: "the last 2 albums"...

WalkOn21 said:

Please don't present your personal opinion as fact.

Exactly.

That happens a lot here with the last two albums.

hedgehog said:

Whilst I wouldn't go as far to say that ATYCLB was shit, I was dissapointed with it, only a handful of songs that I really liked (Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk on, Kite and The Ground Beneath Her Feet).

However, HTDAAB is much better than ATYCLB, theres only one song Im not too keen on it (One step closer) but even that song isn't terrible.

TGBHF = NOT an ATYCLB song. An MDH song.

hedgehog said:

:up:

Re: Re: Re: For all those using the term: "the last 2 albums"...

namkcuR said:

TGBHF = NOT an ATYCLB song. An MDH song.
Never listened to MDH before, but its on my ATYCLB album (the 12th track).

Im sure I read somewhere that some versions of ATYCLB didn't have TGBHF though.

Re: Re: Re: Re: For all those using the term: "the last 2 albums"...

hedgehog said:

Never listened to MDH before, but its on my ATYCLB album (the 12th track).

Im sure I read somewhere that some versions of ATYCLB didn't have TGBHF though.

Some versions HAD TGBHF. Most didn't.

bathiu said:
STOP IT!!!

[personal opinion]ATYCLB is pop, cold, made with machine-perfection, emotionless... the sound is too compressed, clear
(yes, but) claustrophobic, there's no U2 "soundscapes", no space in this music... it's shit (production of the album).[/personal opinion]

[fact]HTDAAB is 100% opposite of the above.[/fact]

:up: :up:

I've had the Bomb since release day, and *shows his age or lack thereof* it was the first U2 album I've actually bought when it came out. I got the Slane DVD a year ago, and that was what really started my interest in the band. I just couldn't escape the passion in the music, even if there were a couple of songs that I didn't dig right away (I still think the versions of Bullet and WOWY on this DVD are crap).

So yesterday, I finally became dissatisfied with my copy of the Best of 90-00, and bought ATYCLB. And I have to say, it's pretty good. Not "blow me away every time I hear it" like Achtung does... but it's pretty good. And I'd rate it as better than the Bomb, simply because the last half of the album doesn't disintegrate the way the new album does.

The last two albums are great, no make that every album/single from 1979-2005, U2 change style, ATYCLB is beautiful, and by some peoples sattements ATYLBH is Popular and HTDAAB is not, strange choice of words.

Originally posted by tommycharles
I've had the Bomb since release day, and *shows his age or lack thereof* it was the first U2 album I've actually bought when it came out.

Ditto.

Also, I'm beginning to think I'm in a very small group of people on these boards who doesn't have a least favorite U2 album. There's something about each one that I like, from Boy up to HTDAAB.

And yes, thoughts regarding what is and isn't good in regards to music are just opinions, not facts.

Angela

And I'd rate it as better than the Bomb, simply because the last half of the album doesn't disintegrate the way the new album does.

I'd disagree with that, pretty strongly. I think the second half of ATYCLB is very weak, maybe their weakest string of songs on any album. (And I'm one of those who thinks Wild Honey is cute - inconsequential and not a strong U2 track, but cute. New York and When I Look at the World are okay, but again, not all that strong.)

The second half of HTDAAB, while it has a few clunkers (A Man and a Woman, One Step Closer), is loads better than the other.

But when you get right down to it, saying any album has a weak part just boils down to what songs you like, and it's so subjective you might as well get into an argument like, "Grace rules!"/"No, Grace sucks!"

Moonlit_Angel said:

Ditto.

Also, I'm beginning to think I'm in a very small group of people on these boards who doesn't have a least favorite U2 album. There's something about each one that I like, from Boy up to HTDAAB.

And yes, thoughts regarding what is and isn't good in regards to music are just opinions, not facts.

Angela

I have a least favourite U2 album, but i have to say, there are no bad ones, they are all good, just some are more my tastes on the day, Unforgettable fire is my favourite, but it depends on my mood, do i want loud, soft, a mix, brillant lyrics, guitar, drums etc.

corianderstem said:

The second half of HTDAAB, while it has a few clunkers (A Man and a Woman, One Step Closer), is loads better than the other.

See, AMAAW keeps getting bagged on, when it's one of the ONLY interesting tracks on the record.

I'm beginning to think I'm in a very small group of people on these boards who doesn't have a least favorite U2 album. There's something about each one that I like, from Boy up to HTDAAB.

Cheers, finnaly, someone who's with me...!

I think that U2 hasn't got a weakest album... I have the opinion that each U2 album has/had an objective in the band's career and each one has got its place there. That's why all the albums are important and that's why I like all of them... Of course there are few that I do not listen as much as HTDAAB or JT (for example), but I love them all...

Ever since the release of the Bomb, ATYCLB has become extremely underrated on this site. Come on people, this is the album that saved the band from calling it quits. Most people on this very site loved ATYCLB more then POP when it came out and up to the release of the Bomb. Yes, the Bomb is better then ATYCLB, but ATYCLB is far from sucking and POP is far from a classic. So what if the next album is better then the Bomb? Then are we gonna murder the Bomb and call ATYCLB a classic? :wink:

Last edited:
Wow, wait. I didn't mean any disrespect when I titled the threat what I did. What I SHOULD have said is "the two most recent albums" and I only did so because it seemed so many people were lumping them together--and those people were the ones to whom I was directing the question.

No one says Peace on earth is weak

I do.

It's a nice sentiment, but the lyrics are trite, and the melody does nothing for me.

As far as A Man And a Woman, I don't think it's a bad as some people say, but it's one of the weaker tracks on the album ... obviously, my opinion, which apparently needs to be said many times around here, lest someone thinks I'm stating opinion as fact.

:sexywink:

Aygo said:

Cheers, finnaly, someone who's with me...!

I think that U2 hasn't got a weakest album... I have the opinion that each U2 album has/had an objective in the band's career and each one has got its place there. That's why all the albums are important and that's why I like all of them... Of course there are few that I do not listen as much as HTDAAB or JT (for example), but I love them all...

:up: I totally agree with Aygo and Moonlit_Angel. I bought all U2's albums in the two months before HTDAAB was released (once I got started, I just couldn't stop! :crazy: :yikes: Damn, this band is addictive!) and in listening to all of them at once and in no particular order, I can't find a weak one in the bunch. And now that I know more of the history of the band and what was happening around the time each of the albums was made, I really enjoy the progression and how each album reflects a specific time in the band's career. And while I do hear some similarities between ATYCLB and HTDAAB (although not as many as it appears that others do), I think they each have a different feeling or theme or whatever you want to call it that make them each unique.

And lest anyone think I don't like ATYCLB, I do. I don't think it's one of their best albums, nor do I think it's their worst. I think the first half is really good, and the second half is ... okay.

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom