Flood Should be Fired for COBL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akhan01

The Fly
what a terrible mess this song is. the sound quality and production are god-awful. what the hell was flood thinking? i can't hear anything larry mullin is doing in this song.

so much potential down the drain. in the tradition of several songs off Pop, I predict COBL will be on U2's Best of Vol. III as "COBL (New Mix)"...

There are some rough spots on this album sound wise. On the beginning of "Sometimes you..." the bass seems way too loud; and Bono sounds like he's just getting over laryngitis throughout most of the song. I really wish they would have re-recorded the vocal. Perhaps it's me, but I hear a light buzz all throughout that track - like they were trying to make it sound too raw...

COBL sounds okay, although I do agree the drums could have been more prominent....

Aardvark747 said:
There's been a lot of talk about the quality of COBL. I cant hear anything bad about it! Where should I be listening especially?!:eyebrow:

Same here. Its not even as bad as some of the mixing on Pop.

HEY i can´t post here a thread, so i gonna use this one to beggin one about something i notest of extremly importance.
following the bashing some want to do all the time i also want to participate in that making you realise something really negative in this album. did enyone notest that between the songs there are some seconds with silence??? how could this be?incredible! all the producers should be jailed and the band should disband!!!!!!

Considering how many albums Flood has been a part of I think he knows what hes doing by now.

What do you want these tracks to do jump out and have sex with you?

Maybe it could have been improved quality wise maybe not we were not in the studio

I can see what yoyu are saying. COBL sound quality isn't as clear as what it could be. Great song but could have been perfect. I agree about the drums too. Love and Peace is weird for me, I like the song just feel it's in the wrong place on the album. The song to me doesn't know which way it's going and I think that obviously comes down to production.

joaoricardo said:
HEY i can´t post here a thread, so i gonna use this one to beggin one about something i notest of extremly importance.
following the bashing some want to do all the time i also want to participate in that making you realise something really negative in this album. did enyone notest that between the songs there are some seconds with silence??? how could this be?incredible! all the producers should be jailed and the band should disband!!!!!!

:huh:

akhan01 said:
what a terrible mess this song is. the sound quality and production are god-awful. what the hell was flood thinking? i can't hear anything larry mullin is doing in this song.

so much potential down the drain. in the tradition of several songs off Pop, I predict COBL will be on U2's Best of Vol. III as "COBL (New Mix)"...

At last somebody that agrees with me on this song. You have good ears my friend its a fuc#ing mess when you listen to this on a decent hi-fi, and also SYCMIOYO is also a very poor mix as well.

Opinions on production are just as subjective as opinions on the tunes themselves. It just makes someone look cooler to say, "the mix sucks, the production sucks" blah, blah, blah. Also note, many of those bashing the production have very few positive posts about the band.

City Of Blinding Lights - drums in mono and low in the mix.

Flood has always been bad news for U2.

He is the one responsible for that train wreck called POP.

Cheers,

J

MrBrau1 said:
Opinions on production are just as subjective as opinions on the tunes themselves. It just makes someone look cooler to say, "the mix sucks, the production sucks" blah, blah, blah. Also note, many of those bashing the production have very few positive posts about the band.

Actually, I think that is a very disingenuous response. Production quality can be measured both objectively and subjectively. I agree with you on the subjective part; however not on the objective half.

The production and mastering of this album is very much objectively a disgrace. I am not a new poster. I have been around this forum specifically for several years and have followed and defended U2 through ups and downs since I became enchanted by them during AB. I went to 15 Elevation tour shows. This band means the world to me.

Yet, I am embarrased for U2 with this album. The production quality, and moreover the mastering quality of the album, is very objectively and technically abysmal. I have another post detailing a few of the technical reasons why. I have since discovered more (average RMS, square sine waves, digital distortion, overused compression)

And, the sad thing is I'm only an amateur in the field of audio recording and engineering. But I know enough, technically, and it doesn't take anything but a halfway descent ear to hear the rediculous flaws in this album. And, I hate to pull the 'my friends' card too, but yeah OK I do have a couple of friends in the field and they all spot the exact same recording errors. Errors so bad, that any engineer would have been laughed at and fired on the spot would this have been only a couple of years ago.

But that is not the trend. The trend is to make incredibly shitty but LOUD recordings at any and EVERY cost. It is a phenomenon well known in the audio engineering industry and everyone agrees it is shameful and unfortunate. But the reality is the engineers don't own the music, effects or soundtrack, and they are no longer able to make such decisions. It is a short-sighted mandate from record executives that CDs be mastered and produced this way these days.

I always thought U2 had enough influence, and/or rights that something like this would never happen. But it did. And I have to wonder- did U2 agree to it (unlikely), or was it a mandate from Interscope (who releases nearly everything this way these days). If U2 did authorize the mastering of this CD, then I'm very deeply saddened to say that in my mind, at least- they have disgraced themselves in my eyes for the first time. Because, there is simply no reason for audio to be ruined the way it has.

BTW, you will never see a classical recording mastered using the methods and techniques used these days for pop/rock/rap/etc... Why? Not necessarily because it is a different genre, but because classical listeners tend to have very well trained ears, and as audiophiles would never put up with a release whose audio has literally been mangled and trashed the way it has on these other releases.

This is a very serious problem to add to the numerous other problems the recording industry faces. Hopefully it will be a self-correcting problem, as none of this audio will stand the test of time. The music itself is another story, and I hope we see a remastered version of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb in the future.

Sicy said:
No one can ever just be happy we have new music.

I am thrilled to have new music. I read the forum each night for any new leak or tidbit of information.

I love the songwriting on HTDAAB. But, I hate the audio quality. And, I hate it for very specific, rational reasons.

I really don't understand all this illogical association that if there is something critical or negative towards the new u2 release, then that person is not happy or not a fan, etc...

COBL production is bad? where do you people come up with these things? im sure they tested it many ways, maybe this was the best sounding one, youve got nothing to compare it to.

you know, we love 'em for their songs......not the 16bit mono vs. stereo over compressed not enough limiter on the bass the vocals are too dry I wish I was the producer the industry is shit outlook.:wink:

JOFO said:
you know, we love 'em for their songs......not the 16bit mono vs. stereo over compressed not enough limiter on the bass the vocals are too dry I wish I was the producer the industry is shit outlook.:wink:

you're right! we love them for their music. too bad the music which is caviar, is served up to us as slop.

grbounds said:
COBL production is bad? where do you people come up with these things? im sure they tested it many ways, maybe this was the best sounding one, youve got nothing to compare it to.

well, the mastering is bad:wink: the production can be endlessly debated.

What are some specific instances on this album in which the mastering is that terrible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom