Five Most Underrated Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. When I Look at the World
2. Boomerang I
3. Endless Deep
4. Rejoice
5. Some Days are Better than Others

5. Lost On A Silent Planet
Great early song. I really don't understand why this wasn't put on Boy when The Ocean and Shadows And Tall Trees were ...

4. Spanish Eyes
A b-side? Why?! This should have been one of U2's biggest singles. Classic Edge guitar and powerful vocals from Bono.

3. Bass Trap
Beautiful instrumental. Beautiful, stunning, calm, atmospheric. U2 at the top of their game. I would pay lots of money to see them perform Heartland --> Bass Trap --> A Sort Of Homecoming live.

2. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)
Like Spanish Eyes, why on earth was this relegated to b-side status? Songs like Red Light, Seconds, and THBAO should've had the courtesy to make way and let this be included on War. What a great song.

1. Wild Irish Rose
Arguably the most under-rated U2 song - not even officially released! I can't comprehend why. I think this is easily one of the best songs U2 has ever made. Powerful vocals, excellent poetic lyrics, and a great atmosphere. Should be a classic on the level of Bad and Streets.

And honourable mentions go to One Tree Hill and Heartland, two songs that will always be under-rated as they cannot be rated sufficiently high enough.

Do you feel loved
silver and gold
man and a women
holy joe
starring at the sun

Like A Song

Luminous Times (Hold on to love)

Lady with the spinning head (EDM)

When I Look at the World

Another Time, Another Place

I did mine based amongst casual fans and stuff.

God Part II
Out of Control
Acrobat
Miss Sarajevo
Zoo Station

The first time - Contains my favorite Bono lyric of all time
The Fly - one of Adam's fiercest basslines
The Sweetest Thing
Elvis Ate America - probably the pinnacle of U2 experimentation and commentary on American stardom.
Your Blue Room

Last edited:
I don't really know how to decide so I'll just list five of my favorites that are generally not so popular:

Slug
Smile
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Acrobat
Lady With The Spinning Head

The Unforgettable Fire
Sure I got some credits, but should get more. everybody talks about Bad and Pride form UF but this song is a real masterpeice.

Discotheque
This is such a strong song, specialy the 2005-09-20 Chicago version proofs that.

Vertigo
I got a feeling that people only describe this song as a hit, but I think its a masterpiece. I can't get booring to listen to this song. It got such a power in it.

Mercy
Well, some here might get a shock when you read Mercy on this list because they find this song overrated. And thats why I put it on the list. This song is one of the strongest they done.

The First Time
Such a comfortable song, the line "But I left by the back door And I threw away the key And I threw away the key" is so good.

Peterrrrr said:
I'm surprised you classify this song as underrated. Because among fans, and especially on this forum, it's widely regarded as a good song, even overrated. Didn't it become second in that "most overrated song" competition (does anyone have a link to that thread)? A song can't be overrated and underrated at the same time. :wink:

In the case gareth brown might step into this thread: no, I'm not just here to question others, I will post my own list. Just need some time to think about it. :)

1. A Sort Of Homecoming
2. Do You Feel Loved
3. Father Is An Elephant
4. Red Light
5. Staring At The Sun

First time

So cruel

Acrobat

Heartland

Stateless

(North and south of the river honorable mention)

1. exit
2. love is blindness
3. in a little while
4. two hearts beat as one
5. twilight

why are they not played at every gig? the top three are so good live and im sure the second two have massive presence.

partygirlvox said:
1. exit
2. love is blindness
3. in a little while
5. twilight

why are they not played at every gig? the top three are so good live and im sure the second two have massive presence.
I agree Two Hearts and Twilight are good songs, but they wouldn't fit into an average ZooTV / PopMart / Elevation / Vertigo setlist. They're too eighties-ish.

WalkOn21 said:
In the case gareth brown might step into this thread: no, I'm not just here to question others, I will post my own list. Just need some time to think about it. :)

Please do not provoke him. You have both been asked twice to stop bickering with each other. Suspensions will be issued if this continues.

I'm just glad "City Of Blinding Lights" ain't on any lists.

1) Red Hill Mining Town
2) Some Days Are Better Than Others
3) Do You Feel Loved
4) I Threw A Brick Through A Window
5) Hawkmoon

I'm just focusing on albums.

Ultraviolet , coz it's not played anymore
God Part II awesome guitar , why only in Lovetown tour ?
Hawkmoon same of GP 2
One Tree Hill I guess the same
Please

I can't believe someone said Vertigo considering it's only U2's most popular song of the last five years.

In fact, I can't believe the amount of album tracks full stop. There are some amazing forgotten b-sides out there, and this thread itself proves how under-rated they are by the fact they're struggling to get mentions.

junkydog said:
father is an elephant??? what the heck is that?

A song U2 played a few times in November 1980 on the Boy Tour.

partygirlvox said:
1. exit
2. love is blindness
3. in a little while
5. twilight

I agree on Exit, Love Is Blindness, and Twilight - they're all fantastic and I don't see why Twilight wasn't brought back in the Boy section of the Vertigo Tour's sets. But In A Little While? Yuck. I'd sit down if they played that.

Back
Top Bottom