Five Most Underrated Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
I can't believe someone said Vertigo considering it's only U2's most popular song of the last five years.

In fact, I can't believe the amount of album tracks full stop. There are some amazing forgotten b-sides out there, and this thread itself proves how under-rated they are by the fact they're struggling to get mentions.

A song U2 played a few times in November 1980 on the Boy Tour.

I agree on Exit, Love Is Blindness, and Twilight - they're all fantastic and I don't see why Twilight wasn't brought back in the Boy section of the Vertigo Tour's sets. But In A Little While? Yuck. I'd sit down if they played that.

I love that song!
But not as much as twilight. I have a few very early live versions of it..in my opinion it beats alot of the stuff they play these days.

partygirlvox said:

I love that song!
But not as much as twilight. I have a few very early live versions of it..in my opinion it beats alot of the stuff they play these days.

In A Little While is the kind of song that makes me want to dislike U2. Along with Elvis Ate America and TTTYAATW. Thank goodness they're anomalies in the band's catalogue!

The performances of Twilight on the War Tour were awesome, really energetic and rocking. It would've sounded fantastic if it had come back this tour. I actually would like to hear Twilight/Wire one day.

Now Wire, there's a song overlooked too often.

Axver said:

In A Little While is the kind of song that makes me want to dislike U2. Along with Elvis Ate America and TTTYAATW. Thank goodness they're anomalies in the band's catalogue!

The performances of Twilight on the War Tour were awesome, really energetic and rocking. It would've sounded fantastic if it had come back this tour. I actually would like to hear Twilight/Wire one day.

I do love wire. I think people are wrong in saying these boy/war songs would sound wrong on these later tours..i actually think u2 are doing their music an injustice by not playing their earlier(/sometimes better) stuff. It would make a big difference from the more pop rock, htdaab/atyclb sound.

1) In a Little While
Soul, soul, soul. It should be a classic played on radios daily. I heard it in a department store about a year ago and almost wet my pants with excitement. It also nursed my heart over an 11th grade crush.

2) Original of the Species
Gorgeous. Again, should have gotten way more airplay. The lyrics and music are perfectly in sync. And most of all, it gets to you. Dreamily romantic, yet multi-faceted.

3) I Fall Down
I love the strength and power and gutsiness of it all. And the beginning piano chords make me want to cut the rug (dance). They represent hope to me.

4) I Will Follow
What can I say? It simply makes you want to get up and change the world.

5) Electrical Storm
Haunting, beautiful and very different from the previous ATYCLB yet never played on radio!

Last edited:
I agree with Axver about B-sides , there are lots of great , Lady with the Spinning is just bloody amazing , sometimes its sounds fresher and better than the actual AB tunes , Spanish Eyes as well , dont forget Summer Rain .

But I completely disagree about In a little While

LMBLover said:
4) I Will Follow
What can I say? It simply makes you want to get up and change the world.

Are you kidding me?

I Will Follow has been played on every single tour and over 700 times!

I think Holy Joe would fall into the underrated category.

I and I in the said:

Are you kidding me?

I Will Follow has been played on every single tour and over 700 times!

I think Holy Joe would fall into the underrated category.

it hardly gets mass media play does it ? like pride would etc

I don't see how a song played on every U2 tour and on the Best Of could POSSIBLY be under-rated.

The 3 sunrises - the MOST under-rated for me......

beautiful melody w fantastic soaring harmonies, , some rockin' rythym AND several styles of Edge's Gutair Magic....
.....Amospheric at the beginning.....some buzzing into rip-stopping 'stuttering', and then belltones, too! then variations on those

Heartland

Acrobat-- Bono has been quoted to te effect that Edge would have to mediate for 3 days in order to plaY IT LIVE....so i think it's considered a more favorite among the really serious fans....and "elusive" b/c it's never been {or maybe played 1 or 2 times...but AXver would know that , not me}

[it > Acrobat< reminds of The Who's song in terms of " Live Elusiveness" Pure & Easy...you had to have seen them on their {and not sure they always played it} Who's Next tour 71/72 :drool: :drool: ] otherwise you never heard it again....

Exit
esp having finally seen/heard R&H DVD
w EXIT Live version in past several weeks for the first time......

:hmm:
Deep In The Heart
spare but beautiful melody, low-toned then achingly and higher vocals and just a atmospheric tone to it

There are so many underrated songs and I agree with alot listed here and I couldn't just pick 5 and they are: So Cruel, Dirty Day, Please, Ultraviolet, God Part II, One Tree Hill, Wild Irish Rose, Wild Honey, Zooropa, Miss Sarajevo, Stay, Electric Co, Out Of Control, Mystery Girl, In A Little While, and on HTDAAB: A Man And A Woman, One Step Closer and Crumbs From Your Table.

There are so many underated songs that deserves liveplaying and appreciation. A Few things about my list:

1. A Sort Of Homecoming. This is one of U2's best songs and on the level of Streets imo. It's forgotten because of the experimental and ambient production on the album, but the live version is magical. It should have been on the best of 80's in some form.

2. Do You Feel Loved? Perhaps the best song on Pop, but forgotten because of lame casual fan popmart crowds.

3. Father Is An Elephant. While I can't speak of the lyrics, the music is the best of any demo or unreleased song. This should have been on October damnit.

4. Red Light, The Coconut backups and saxophone aside, this is a very strong song especially from Bono and Edge.

5. Staring At The Sun; actually scratch that and replace with Red Hill Mining Town.

Wild Irish Rose
Night & Day
Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes
Smile
Two Shots OF Happy One Shot Of Sad

well I know some of these are covers, but......

My top 5 underrated b-sides are..
1. your blue room
2. happinness is a warm gun
3. trash, trampoline and the party girl (not the party girl version)
4. north and south of the river
5. walk to the water

although i cant see them playing happinness is a warm gun live.

Hello from NewbieLand. Thought I would wiegh in here real quick.

1. Gone
2. Bass Trap
3. Acrobat
4. So Cruel
5. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel

Staring at the Sun

A Man and A Woman

Do You Feel Loved

Acrobat

Electrical Storm

Particularly "A Man and A Woman". I find that a lot of people think of it as predictable drivel, but I think it's sort of dark and beautiful. And the bass in it is fantastic.

Wild Irish Rose
Lady With The Spinning Head
Tomorrow
Elvis Presley and America
Red Hill Mining Town

Although it's a cover version I think Night and Day deserves a mention.

When You Look At The World... I absolutely love this song!
Summer Rain
Walk On.
Wild Honey
Night and Day
Tryin' to Throw your Arms Around the World :drool:
So Cruel
Numb
Lemon.

:D

Axver said:

TTTYAATW wasn't an anomaly at all. They stuck with the droning melody over muted trip hop loops well into the "All that You can't Leave Behind". You hear alot of that technique on Zooropa and Pop. Heck, you still remnants of this style on "Grace" -- which includes, most notably in comparison to TTYAATW, a repeating ambient guitar element. I'm sorry, but TTYAATW was NOT an anomaly in terms of production techniques for U2.

Elvis Ate America is meant to give you that "bile in the back your throat feeling". It was testimony to what Elvis had become, vile. I applaud Bono's courage to undertake making that record. Howie B, at the time, was one of the trip hop's most formidable underground producers and helped to realize a fractured and purposely flawed vision of a fractured and flawed American icon.

Last edited:
Just a question... A few months ago someone was making a pool to chose the most underrated song (or overrrated... I don't remember too well...) Where did that pool go? I think we only voted for HTDAAB...

(Turns out I never put my list on my own thread!)

One Tree Hill
Exit
A Sort of Homecoming
Seconds
Red Hill Mining Town

And imagine any of these songs being played live on this tour ... oh yeah.

I love A Sort Of Homecoming
If God Will Send His Angles
Miracle Drug
Mothers Of The Dissapeared
Who's gonna ride your wild horses

also: Staring At The Sun
Angel Of Harlem
Stuck In A Moment
Trying to throw your arms around the world
so cruel
gone
october